Getting Alternator Spares...

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I think my alternator belt (on starter battery) is starting to go...

warning light stays on at low revs, but goes off higher up the revs... I tightened the belt a little which sorted the issue but two days later it's back, and the belt looks like it's forming a couple of tiny cracks so I want to order spares for both either way.

Anyway, new to boating really, so I wondered if anyone can reassure me what the crucial numbers are for ordering the right spare.

e.g., the belt on the other alternator (Barrus Shire 40hp engine, btw) is a Gates 6468EXL avx13x950La - so, what I can find to order is a 6468MC AVX13 x 950... Anyone know what the difference between an MC (moulded cog?) belt and an EXL belt is? Or, as long as it's a 13x950 v-belt, is it fine?

Thanks! (ps, any other advice on the issue welcome...)

Hector.

Edited by hector

I suggest that you go to your local motor factors (not Halfords) with those numbers. They stand a good chance of matching them.

There are at least three different belt profiles (cross-section) so you need a belt that matches your pulleys.

Cogged belts are usually the better option for boats because to get a decent charge at lower engine speeds we tend to use a small alternator pulley, the cogged belts bends around and thus grips the pulley better than a plain belt.

If those numbers came off the belt then fine but be aware that as the years go by equipment gets changed so the belts in the engine manual may no longer ft.

Can you check your writing 4hp?

Do you mean Barrus Shire 40?

There may be a brass plate on the top of the engine with the engine identification number on, something saying: Shire 04 40 1 999.

04(build year) 40(horsepower) 1(issue number) 999(serial number)

If you can find it, it will be easy to identify the belt required.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Can you check your writing 4hp?

Do you mean Barrus Shire 40?

There may be a brass plate on the top of the engine with the engine identification number on, something saying: Shire 04 40 1 999.

04(build year) 40(horsepower) 1(issue number) 999(serial number)

If you can find it, it will be easy to identify the belt required.

Whoops yes, typo - it's a 40. Edited OP. ta.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

AVX gives you the profile of the belt, so whether cogged or plain, as long as the profile is the same you should have no problems.

OK Great, thanks!

I can find plenty AVX profile cogged belts which are 13 x 950 so will go for that and will carefully compare before fitting.

@Tony - yes, numbers are off the existing belt, not from docs.

50 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think the reporter is concerned that you may be connected to this company. Are you?

Nope, Not at all

49 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

and at a glance I could not see any belts on the website.

Not sure, but i used the part number to search it was there 

6 hours ago, Andrew Thomas said:

Nope, Not at all

Not sure, but i used the part number to search it was there 

Well done and welcome on board. People are very suspicious of spam on here and I think your post was mistaken for that 

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Another nice welcome to a newcomer.

Very first post using somebody else's trademark as link text to a distributor's website.  It might be on topic, but if you don't think that's deliberate Search Engine Optimisation linking then you're more of a fool than I thought you were.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's why I said "at a glance". If the OP was trying to be helpful they would have posted the link that you did. All  saw when I opened the site was a jumble of images that I expect were supposed to lead to sub areas. I did not see any belts and as my feelings were the same as TheBiscuits I did not waste any more time on it. As far as I am concerned it had all the hallmarks of spam.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As far as I am concerned it had all the hallmarks of spam.

...hence a member reported it to us, but the poster says he isn't connected to the company, so that's fine. He was just being helpful.

18 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Very first post using somebody else's trademark as link text to a distributor's website.  It might be on topic, but if you don't think that's deliberate Search Engine Optimisation linking then you're more of a fool than I thought you were.

When attempting to find a spare part to buy, only a fool would rudely reject help from somebody simply because they were in a position to actually supply the item sought.

If that were indeed the case, and I’m not convinced.

And it’s noted that your first resort is to personally insult, which is against the forum rules and guidelines just as much as advertising is.

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

it’s noted that your first resort is to personally insult, which is against the forum rules and guidelines

Ah, I see my comment could be read that way but it wasn't written that way intentionally.  Bad phrasing.

For clarity, I don't think you are a fool which is why I was surprised you didn't recognise textbook SEO techniques.