Cabin height causing search issues. Broker misinformation.

OTL

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Ever had dealings with an estate agent?

I think it took the law to stop them having non refundable deposits

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

I have never measured the height of  Kelpie inside but neither of us have a problem - but we are not very tall ? . I think you are probably the tallest person who has been on our boat. Did you have to bend your head? I wouldn't say our bed is extra long but it is long enough for us!

haggis

Can't remember, it was years ago. I don't even know what our head room is other than enough and we are low enough  to get through Froghall

56 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Have you thought about how you are going to sleep at night. If the boat has a cross bed then you are not going to fit.

Yeah we've rulled all crossbeds out. I dont seem to fit on those either so it's always disappointing when you see a fit out with one.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As Matty suggests there are a couple of 'good brokers', but they are outnumbered by the 'bad' ones.

One of the worst is 'in the Midlands' it may have been the one you visited.

Care to spill the name?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

(snip)

Can't remember, it was years ago. I don't even know what our head room is other than enough and we are low enough  to get through Froghall

We're not :(

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You are right. Mine only fit in to Stanage tunnel with the water tank full. Froghall Tunnel was a no go.

Ooh, that's a comment of interest - I chickened out last time I was within striking distance of Standedge because of the likelihood of being too high in the air draft department and, as it was absolutely chucking it down, I really couldn't face the up and back! I can't think why I hadn't asked you before about whether you'd been through Standedge - how was it?

We had a bit of a scrape in Gosty Hill one time when the Yorkshireman in me didn't top off the water tank at the Fiddle and Bone cos the Sherborne Street outfit had taken it over and wanted money!  Usually I can get through there with care given a full tank, but the kink at the eastern end got me when I went in light. Its the shoulders, not the centre line that's tight at Gosty for me.

The only way to make much variation in the internal headroom is by increasing the draught - and there are considerable down sides to doing that. The air draught is pretty much set by the bridges and tunnels. Not lining the roof would not be a great idea and might only gain a small amount and the cross struts would catch you every time!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Ooh, that's a comment of interest - I chickened out last time I was within striking distance of Standedge because of the likelihood of being too high in the air draft department and, as it was absolutely chucking it down, I really couldn't face the up and back! I can't think why I hadn't asked you before about whether you'd been through Standedge - how was it?

We had a bit of a scrape in Gosty Hill one time when the Yorkshireman in me didn't top off the water tank at the Fiddle and Bone cos the Sherborne Street outfit had taken it over and wanted money!  Usually I can get through there with care given a full tank, but the kink at the eastern end got me when I went in light. Its the shoulders, not the centre line that's tight at Gosty for me.

Since our boats seem to be pretty similar examples of Simon Pipers work,  yours should fit too. It is well worth doing. Interesting changes in the tunnel lining from bare rock, to brick lining, to brick support arches. I lost a bit of paint off the hand rails, but that was down to my steering! Don't underestimate the concentration it requires to steer. I was shattered when we reached the other side. The tunnel folks have the option of putting water barrels in your well deck to drop the air draft if it only just fails. Worth getting a booking. It is an experience going through on your own boat. I'd checked mine against the requirements CaRT publish before booking, so I knew it was close, but within. Cabin width over the hand rails is a factor, as well as air draft.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Tonka said:

5070771.jpg

This boat currently for sale with ABNB must be ok for tall people.

Otherwise the ceiling fan fitted in the bedroom will decapitate them

That's a bit of a problem in mine, not a fan but the light fittings. I'm 6'2" and can just about stand up straight but have whacked my head a few times on fittings. I moved them from the centre to the sides...

You might be able to raise the roof a bit, as well as lowering the floor. Even if it's tall enough in the centre, it'll be a fair few inches shorter in the shower. You will probably have to do some diy anyway to get a long enough bed - mine was, and is,  6 foot. I cut a hole in the adjacent cupboard where my feet now nestle among friendly socks.

Otherwise, you have to get used to slouching, which I've got quite good at. Most of the time in the boat you're sat down anyway. Plenty of room to stand up outside.

ETA there was an engineer at Chas Hardern's who was about six eight and had the roof of his boat raised six inches. I think he found it then wouldn't go through a stack of tunnels.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

• 10 months later...