My new bow well steps/benches

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Nearly finished the steps/benches. In the end I used the Iroko decking as I already had it and the buffalo board was going to cost more than £80. The width of the starboard bench meant I needed a full 8' x 4' sheet of buffalo board but I'd only have used half of it. Anyway, I think the decking looks better. I cut all the angles using an electric mitre saw. Just waiting to borrow a circular saw so I can cut narrower planks at the front.

At the moment the decking is just laying on the frame but I'm going to lay each plank on 4 washers so that water isn't trapped between the wood and the frame. I'm using stainless screws coming up from underneath the frame to hold the planks in place so you won't see any fixings from the top.

I jumped up and down on the starboard bench with a neighbour and although it flexed it seemed strong enough.

IMG_20210321_093715.jpg

Why not bed the wood on mastic to stop water getting between the wood and metal, then you could pull it down tight 

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why not bed the wood on mastic to stop water getting between the wood and metal, then you could pull it down tight 

What's the benefit of pulling out down tight exactly? I don't think it would add any strength to the frames. I don't really want to use mastic. Part of my design enables it all to be taken apart easily when I want to repaint the deck. Once you start sticking things together that becomes more difficult. 

I don't need to stop water getting between the wood and metal. With a permanent air gap between the two water won't be trapped and it will just dry out.

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I jumped up and down on the starboard bench with a neighbour and although it flexed it seemed strong enough.

Quelle tonnage etes-vous les deux?   B)

Mike it looks great.  Can we expect stripey bum effect when the summer comes and bare thighs make contact? 

33 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Quelle tonnage etes-vous les deux?   B)

Mike it looks great.  Can we expect stripey bum effect when the summer comes and bare thighs make contact? 

That should just encourage any crew not to relax too much! At least the edges won't need sealing like buffalo board. I can't see how sealed edges would last very long on steps. I'd be resealing them every year. I've heard that teak oil is used in Iroko. Or would that make them slippery?

I guess me and him combined must be about 175kg and we were jumping up and down. So much for Lady G's comments about it looking flimsy!

Edited by blackrose

Hi Blackrose, really glad to see you’ve done your project in aluminium. 

Our lockers are approaching 2 years old and I’ve no doubts as to the strength of the aluminium frames. There’s no movement as we step on or off them. I hope you’re as pleased with yours, as we are with ours. 

11FC5380-32BA-41EC-BBDC-6177B20A52A1.jpeg

008F2DFD-9E35-4AAC-9632-17BB54C93750.jpeg

C37673D3-26AA-46C4-9DDF-A7D1F59020C0.jpeg

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Screws? I am recent convert to Torx screws, stainless of course, great for when you want to take them out again.

Security Torx are even better, most people don't have the tool for them ?

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

That should just encourage any crew not to relax too much! At least the edges won't need sealing like buffalo board. I can't see how sealed edges would last very long on steps. I'd be resealing them every year. I've heard that teak oil is used in Iroko. Or would that make them slippery?

I guess me and him combined must be about 175kg and we were jumping up and down. So much for Lady G's comments about it looking flimsy!

La bonne fille a quelle tonnage ?

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Nearly finished the steps/benches. In the end I used the Iroko decking as I already had it and the buffalo board was going to cost more than £80. The width of the starboard bench meant I needed a full 8' x 4' sheet of buffalo board but I'd only have used half of it. Anyway, I think the decking looks better. I cut all the angles using an electric mitre saw. Just waiting to borrow a circular saw so I can cut narrower planks at the front.

At the moment the decking is just laying on the frame but I'm going to lay each plank on 4 washers so that water isn't trapped between the wood and the frame. I'm using stainless screws coming up from underneath the frame to hold the planks in place so you won't see any fixings from the top.

IMG_20210321_093715.jpg

IMG_20210321_095522.jpg

Looking good! I would definitely leave a small gap between the planks to help drainage and allow the gaps to dry out to keep the rot at bay.