Eastern Caravans?

aristorias

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Eastern Caravans announce themselves as Australia's largest caravan hire company. So I think it is unlikely anyone will be cruising the British canals in their offerings.

Extract from boat advert :

The boat was built by Eastern Caravans in Peterborough in 1999. The company is not very renown as a narrowboat builder but they built shells which have then been fitted out by Floating Homes and Andicraft. Comparing her (I need to get used to the gender!) with a boat that was advertised for some time now on Apolloduck (where I found this one too) and which has been fitted out by Floating Homes Talisker must be a direct relative. While the bottom and sides of the hull have standard thicknesses of 10 and 6mm, the cabin sides and roof are only 3mm (as opposed to the standard 4 or 5mm). But then 3mm should still be plenty.There’s next to no rust anywhere. The paintwork has been redone a few years back, it’s in a good nick.

Pictures of another one here :

Eastern Caravans for sale UK, Eastern Caravans boats for sale, Eastern Caravans used boat sales, Eastern Caravans Narrow Boats For Sale Lovely 34' cruiser stern moored at Roydon Marina Village - Apollo Duck

and another here :

Eastern Caravans 43 Cruiser Stern for sale UK, Eastern Caravans boats for sale, Eastern Caravans used boat sales, Eastern Caravans Narrow Boats For Sale 43ft Cruiser - Apollo Duck

Edited by Alan de Enfield

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

????????

What are you on about? Context please.

Then you may get some answers or are you Eastern caravans trying to generate hits to your website?

They build, or built, narrowboats.

Aren't or weren't, they associated with the well-known Nene boatbuilder Pat Buckle?

Edited by Athy

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Extract from boat advert :

The boat was built by Eastern Caravans in Peterborough in 1999. The company is not very renown as a narrowboat builder but they built shells which have then been fitted out by Floating Homes and Andicraft. Comparing her (I need to get used to the gender!) with a boat that was advertised for some time now on Apolloduck (where I found this one too) and which has been fitted out by Floating Homes Talisker must be a direct relative. While the bottom and sides of the hull have standard thicknesses of 10 and 6mm, the cabin sides and roof are only 3mm (as opposed to the standard 4 or 5mm). But then 3mm should still be plenty.There’s next to no rust anywhere. The paintwork has been redone a few years back, it’s in a good nick.

Pictures of another one here :

Eastern Caravans for sale UK, Eastern Caravans boats for sale, Eastern Caravans used boat sales, Eastern Caravans Narrow Boats For Sale Lovely 34' cruiser stern moored at Roydon Marina Village - Apollo Duck

and another here :

Eastern Caravans 43 Cruiser Stern for sale UK, Eastern Caravans boats for sale, Eastern Caravans used boat sales, Eastern Caravans Narrow Boats For Sale 43ft Cruiser - Apollo Duck

I think its the other way round....Andicraft who are based at Debdale Wharf Marina built the shells and and Eastern Caravans did the fit out.

• Greenie 1

The advert @Alan de Enfield linked to just looks like a typical budget narrowboat to me, not specifically a caravan. I am sure that if you looked at a number of boatbuilders' official name it would not have much to do with boats as shown by Alan once again so I still can't see what the OP is on about.

I think the company exhibited at an IWA festival when I was looking for a boat (before I realised second hand got a better boat and was much better value) and while looking around the boat I heard the company rep explaining to other prospective purchasers how they do "first and second fix" so all the services were hidden. That is when this company got struck off my list. I want easy access to the wiring and other services.

I would hope the standard fit out of a boat undertaken by a caravan manufacturer is completed to a better std. than your average caravan.

They are generally pretty poor in terms of fit and finish and the longevity of the fittings is often suspect.

Plus they are fitted out in a completely different manner in that they construct the interior first and then add the walls and roof so the techniques used are completely different.

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I would hope the standard fit out of a boat undertaken by a caravan manufacturer is completed to a better std. than your average caravan.

They are generally pretty poor in terms of fit and finish and the longevity of the fittings is often suspect.

Plus they are fitted out in a completely different manner in that they construct the interior first and then add the walls and roof so the techniques used are completely different.

I guess that the company would have tradesmen to hand (chippies, electricians, plumbers) who could turn their hand to either skill if the need arose.

Our first boat (2000) was an Eastern Caravans & Narrowboat fit out using a Floating Homes shell, purchased from a broker at Billing Aquadrome on the Nene. They offered an excellent deal, only asking for a 10% deposit with balance on delivery. It was an "off the production line" job, with a few option extras.

We ordered a 42ft but after ordering we were told that the next boat under construction was a 44ft and we could have it at the same price!

It was a good "bread and butter" boat, with one amusing snag. After delivery we were unable to find the sump pump. A couple of telephone calls established that one had  not been fitted, with the explanation that they had only just expanded from caravans to narrowboats!

She proved a very good, little learning boat and after 3 years we sold her in two days for just over her original cost.

57 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The advert @Alan de Enfield linked to just looks like a typical budget narrowboat to me, not specifically a caravan. I am sure that if you looked at a number of boatbuilders' official name it would not have much to do with boats as shown by Alan once again so I still can't see what the OP is on about.

I think the company exhibited at an IWA festival when I was looking for a boat (before I realised second hand got a better boat and was much better value) and while looking around the boat I heard the company rep explaining to other prospective purchasers how they do "first and second fix" so all the services were hidden. That is when this company got struck off my list. I want easy access to the wiring and other services.

Indeed I've worked on boats fitted out by cabinet makers- caravan fitters. Although the quality was very good in most cases they didn't have a clue of boat requirements. essential things like inverter chargers, electrics ect completely boxed in, needing destruction to get at them, no hatches in the floor to access the bilges. Too much heavy stuff installed all on one side of the boat causing a list impossible to correct without tearing up the fitted carpet and floor boards.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Caravans are indeed naff. We bought one yesterday to compilment our Boat and motorhome fleet lol. Its actualy quite a nice thing but they are a tad flimsy cos of towing weight.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Caravans are indeed naff. We bought one yesterday to compilment our Boat and motorhome fleet lol. Its actualy quite a nice thing but they are a tad flimsy cos of towing weight.

Tim's collection....

JS69445205.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It is indeed to keep the weight down but the resulting finish is rubbish. The fitter (i won't call them a crafts man/woman) who choose the screw sizes for things (as an example) on ours clearly was trained in toy production not fitting out caravans.

The latest bit of ours to start to fall apart is the side dinette Luckily our dealer and Swift have always responded positively to fixing things but the warranty on the interior ends this summer. It would just be better if they fitted stuff properly in the first place.

PS what you bought??

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It is indeed to keep the weight down but the resulting finish is rubbish. The fitter (i won't call them a crafts man/woman) who choose the screw sizes for things (as an example) on ours clearly was trained in toy production not fitting out caravans.

The latest bit of ours to start to fall apart is the side dinette Luckily our dealer and Swift have always responded positively to fixing things but the warranty on the interior ends this summer. It would just be better if they fitted stuff properly in the first place.

PS what you bought??

An avondale 642-4 a few years old but in good nick and as you will apreciate a full size fixed double and a proper bathroom. I wouldnt want to pay the new price for such a thing :o

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

An avondale 642-4 a few years old but in good nick and as you will apreciate a full size fixed double and a proper bathroom. I wouldnt want to pay the new price for such a thing :o

Nice 'van.

On pricing, yes the price of caravans has gone stratospheric in recent years. 

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nice 'van.

On pricing, yes the price of caravans has gone stratospheric in recent years. 

I may pm you after ive picked it up ( I aint towing it ) ? to tell me how the bloomin gadgets work etc etc and how to pt the ginormous tent thing up on the side :help:

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I may pm you after ive picked it up ( I aint towing it ) ? to tell me how the bloomin gadgets work etc etc and how to pt the ginormous tent thing up on the side :help:

No worries.

31 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

how to pt the ginormous tent thing up on the side :help:

I have memories of trying to erect an awning in a strong wind on top of a large cliff. 

I can't remember how old I was, but I vividly remember Dad saying "If the wind gets under it, let go!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have memories of trying to erect an awning in a strong wind on top of a large cliff. 

I can't remember how old I was, but I vividly remember Dad saying "If the wind gets under it, let go!"

Or words to that effect ?

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That’s a tasty caravan Tim. 

Ill let you know if its dry when it rains :o