What is wrong with most boat service providers?

Featured Posts

I had a similar experience. There was a couple of days work needed on my boat but I was in there for two weeks purely because they were trying to fit my work in with all their other stuff so kept popping and doing a bit and then disappearing.

On 07/03/2021 at 11:56, Alan de Enfield said:

You have certainly had an extended run of bad-luck, right back to getting thru a number of estate agents when trying to sell you property, to wearing out several boat brokers, to not being able to find a single 'tradesman' that would come back after his first couple of visits.

If you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

My estate agent cost me a lot of time, money and stress, not to mention their solicitor not having any sort of contract in place, and intending to keep my money for nine days.

I made appointment to view via New and Used, it was a boat which was  not free of encombrances, I found this out by making two phone calls, the broker kept it on his books, not bothered, caveat empetor.

Tradesmen visiting and not doing anything is normal behaviour with people who want to make a week's money for one day's work, or people who have absolutely no experience of boats.

There is no guarantee that anyone claiming to be a boat electrician has any qualification or particular skill, I only know they all like to use red insulating tape to save costs, why is this, as I am paying?

They may agree to using heat shrink, but don't, they only get a half day's work instead of three days. It's no wonder they never get beyond one man and a white van.

If I do have a track record of attracting incompetant tradesmen, it is because they prey on women who want a lightbulb changed. I spoke to one such before he came, asked him how to deal with a particular problem, assuming he might need to bring  some part,  presumably he did not know as he put the phone down.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

My estate agent cost me a lot of time, money and stress, not to mention their solicitor not having any sort of contract in place, and intending to keep my money for nine days.

I made appointment to view via New and Used, it was a boat which was  not free of encombrances, I found this out by making two phone calls, the broker kept it on his books, not bothered, caveat empetor.

Tradesmen visiting and not doing anything is normal behaviour with people who want to make a week's money for one day's work, or people who have absolutely no experience of boats.

There is no guarantee that anyone claiming to be a boat electrician has any qualification or particular skill, I only know they all like to use red insulating tape to save costs, why is this, as I am paying?

They may agree to using heat shrink, but don't, they only get a half day's work instead of three days. It's no wonder they never get beyond one man and a white van.

If I do have a track record of attracting incompetant tradesmen, it is because they prey on women who want a lightbulb changed. I spoke to one such before he came, asked him how to deal with a particular problem, assuming he might need to bring  some part,  presumably he did not know as he put the phone down.

Spot on.  This is true but perhaps not considered by many forum members.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I sympathise.

Havn't had many problems with fettling boats,as I do all my own maintainance,thanks to advice from CWF and wading through various You Tube videos.

However the house I have had several run ins with  so called "tradesmen"

One  "plumber"took two days to fit new taps to the bath and bathroom sink.It was obvious that he didn't have a clue and I had to help and even had to go and buy new connections because he was trying to fit wrong ones.

Another so called "plumber"I called to fix a non flushing toilet and he said it needed a new diaphragm.Didn't at the time know what one was so told him to get on with it.He then proceeded to tell me that the whole toilet and cistern had to be removed and the cost would be £190 ! Told the wife and she said tell him to get on with it,against my wishes,and the "plumber"then started backtracking saying it was a big job and he couldn't do it today but would ring in the evening when he had a look at his diary.

He didn't ring so in desperation I looked on You Tube to see what was involved,and found that it wasn't necessary to remove the whole toilet,just the cistern which was quite straightforward.Took the old diaphragm to a plumber's merchant thinking bet they havn't got one and was directed to a rack with packets of them at £5-99 a pack of four.

Now have a perfectly flushing toilet.

The moral of my tale,is the well worn one,if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself.

I think when you are dealing on the phone with the same person who is doing the job this can cause a bit of frustration. The best service I have ever received was from Aqueduct Marina, their staff have great customer service skills, especially Jane. Made every job a pleasant experience. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, sue.stew said:

I think when you are dealing on the phone with the same person who is doing the job this can cause a bit of frustration. The best service I have ever received was from Aqueduct Marina, their staff have great customer service skills, especially Jane. Made every job a pleasant experience. 

I've often said that Robert's team at Aqueduct are one of the most professional outfits on the cut.  It is reflected in their charges though - very much a case of getting what you pay for.

There do seem to be a lot of boaters who expect champagne service at lemonade prices.

• Greenie 3