I dreamt CaRT are holding me hostage

Midnight

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They do manage to do nothing towards 'planned maintenance', its just a 'wait for it to break' philosophy, thats why so much breaks down at a similar time.

It makes it hard for the guys on the ground who are trying to do their best with no support.

That's hardly fair. Why, only this week CRT sent this email 

Notice Alert

Huddersfield Narrow Canal
Starts At: Lock 31 East
Ends At: Lock 31 East
Up Stream Winding Hole: Lock 31E Up stream
Down Stream Winding Hole: Lock 22E down stream

Wednesday 3 March 2021 13:00 until Thursday 11 March 2021 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Repair

Original message:

The o/s paddle rod has broken putting the paddle out of action, during the inspection the n/s paddle rod also had 
signs of severe wear and looked to be on the verge of snapping. We have taken both of them out to have new ones 
fabricated and the lock will be out of action until these are made and installed.  

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

That's hardly fair. Why, only this week CRT sent this email 

Notice Alert

Huddersfield Narrow Canal
Starts At: Lock 31 East
Ends At: Lock 31 East
Up Stream Winding Hole: Lock 31E Up stream
Down Stream Winding Hole: Lock 22E down stream

Wednesday 3 March 2021 13:00 until Thursday 11 March 2021 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Repair

Original message:

The o/s paddle rod has broken putting the paddle out of action, during the inspection the n/s paddle rod also had 
signs of severe wear and looked to be on the verge of snapping. We have taken both of them out to have new ones 
fabricated and the lock will be out of action until these are made and installed.  

Shame they didn't inspect it earlier before the o/s paddle broke. This is a typical example of a closure that need not happen.
Remember Watford Locks - Managers huh!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

But you can still WALK the canals for free!

This is the way things seem to be going now. CaRT seem to have plenty of funding for towing path maintenance. During lockdown we can all walk/run/cycle/walk dogs/live-aboard .... but not go cruising. Very frustrating .....

C&RT would prefer if there were  no boats . Or at least  that is the impression they give.

3 hours ago, PhilR said:

This is the way things seem to be going now. CaRT seem to have plenty of funding for towing path maintenance. During lockdown we can all walk/run/cycle/walk dogs/live-aboard .... but not go cruising. Very frustrating .....

Yes,and if you take your windlass with you,you can empty or fill the locks as you pass.Almost like boating but without the expence and hassle!

3 hours ago, PhilR said:

Yes,and if you take your windlass with you,you can empty or fill the locks as you pass.Almost like boating but without the expence and hassle!

6 hours ago, Midnight said:

or preferably the end of Richard Parry in sight whose focus is not on navigation. I suspect a petition would get quite a lot of support from boaters but as there is no pressure group that fights for leisure boaters I guess it would come to nothing.

Boaters won't join any pressure group that exists. Boaters are such a  disparate group they never agree.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of these stoppages will disappear on either the 29th March or the 12th April as if by magic ...

The stoppages might disappear, doesnt mean they are fixed properly though.

53 minutes ago, sueb said:

Boaters won't join any pressure group that exists. Boaters are such a  disparate group they never agree.

There is one organisation that well represents ALL boaters (and even has an Inland Waterways 'section'). Membership is high except in the case of Inland Waterways Boaters.

Its almost as if Inland Waterway boaters see themselves as different to 'boaters'.

The RYA has over 110,000 individual 'personal' members and has over 1500 organisations, clubs and businesses affiliated to it and is the largest training provider of courses for Inland Waterways boaters.

20 hours ago, MartynG said:

Sounds like the end of cruising the canals may be  in sight?

I'm going to swim against the current and say the canals best days are ahead. There's lots of renewed interest in them and the pandemic has made people look closer to home for holidays. I have had conversations with several people who have 'discovered' the canals and are hooked and recommending - many are younger people. This all means more income for CaRT? The UK weather seems to be getting warmer and when we have a nice spell there is nothing that can beat the UK.... no covid passports required as well!!

• Greenie 4

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I'm going to swim against the current and say the canals best days are ahead. There's lots of renewed interest in them and the pandemic has made people look closer to home for holidays. I have had conversations with several people who have 'discovered' the canals and are hooked and recommending - many are younger people. This all means more income for CaRT? The UK weather seems to be getting warmer and when we have a nice spell there is nothing that can beat the UK.... no covid passports required as well!!

Busy yes. Going anywhere is another question. Or even getting back. ?

9 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I hope you are proven correct .  

But C&RT will only gain income if they encourage more boats rather that deter them . 

As for summers becoming warmer  I am not so sure  . Milder overall on average perhaps . Certainly less harsh winters.

I  have always been in favour of  UK holidays and I have been  a very infrequent air traveller  over my lifetime . The boat hire companies and holiday cottages , hotels etc will expect a great year in 2021.

However I think the lure of the Mediterranean climate will have people flocking back to air travel  as soon as they realise UK boating  isn't as glamorous as they thought it was and the UK weather isn't so affected by climate change to guarantee a fortnight  of unbroken decent hot sunny weather.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, sueb said:

I think they would if one with teeth existed. The IWA had lots of members until they jumped into bed with CaRT now many of the branches have disbanded and members have left.
Alan is quite correct about the RYA they offer brilliant support and as a member of an RYA affiliated boat club I have to say they have gone above and beyond on some legal matters for us. However they are not, as far as I can see, a pressure group fighting against CaRT's obvious neglect of it Navigation Authority status.

image.gif

Edited by Midnight

20 minutes ago, Midnight said:

However they are not, as far as I can see, a pressure group fighting against CaRT's obvious neglect of it Navigation Authority status.

image.gif

I wonder how many canal members they have, and if anyone has raised the matter with them.

They cannot know the 'details' unless someone informs them.

They have done an absolutely amazing job on the subject of Red Diesel even to the extent on taking the Belgium authorities to the courts and make them refund illegally taken fines, and, agree that no further actions would be taken against UK boats until the matter was resolved.

56 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I think they would if one with teeth existed. The IWA had lots of members until they jumped into bed with CaRT now many of the branches have disbanded and members have left.

image.gif

Our branch closed but I don't think it was due to IWA and CRT getting  together, more a case of boaters aging.
When most of us started boating IWA and BW were there still disagreeing or had not long stopped fighting. Lots of people who are taking up boating today have no idea what the IWA is or what has happened in the passed and they don't belong to any organisation. They cant see any reason for an organisation like the IWA, or NABO, RYA etc. I dont know what the ROBA membership is like, but I would bet is a small percentage of the CCers

I would add that in the sense I am talking about above I am a relatively "new commer"

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1

It's a lovely sunny day, I've got power (solar), all is well with my world.

I live in an insulated steel shed, and I wake up to the dawn chorus rather than two blues. One day my shed will be on the New Canal., I can shuffle from there back to Thorne services, and that's summer 2021 over.

I'd be happy to join an organisation of like minded cc boaters, by definition, there is no such organisation.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

NABO was formed as an alternative organisation with more of a focus on the interests of boaters. But I don't think it has any more influence than IWA these days.

And years ago the Inland Waterways Protection Society was another challenger to IWA which morphed into the more local group promoting the restoration of Bugsworth Basin.

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder how many canal members they have, and if anyone has raised the matter with them.

They cannot know the 'details' unless someone informs them.

They have done an absolutely amazing job on the subject of Red Diesel even to the extent on taking the Belgium authorities to the courts and make them refund illegally taken fines, and, agree that no further actions would be taken against UK boats until the matter was resolved.

A very interesting point which I raised yesterday with several interested groups in the Calder Valley area. I do believe the RYA have a canal/waterways section who I guess would be interested in a bit more support.  Sometimes we don't see the woods for the trees.

• Greenie 1