I dreamt CaRT are holding me hostage

Midnight

Featured Posts

So here we are in captivity in deepest Yorkshire. Most of us not been cruising for ages so all getting excited as April 12 approaches. But there could be a problem (again).

Go East
Figure of Three - still closed promised assisted passage but rumours rife that contractors have been relocated to the Aire & Calder
Aire and Calder - suppose Fo3 is open for assisted passage but no access to the Trent via Pollington - perilous journey around Trent Falls hmmmm?
Turn left at Castleford and try the L&L over to Manchester but T&M land slip closure at Anderton so divert around the Ashton & Macc
Go West
Calder Navigation - closed at Brookfoot might be open for 12th April
Rochdale - been closed more than open for a year yet there maybe a window of opportunity to escape via Manchester, but T&M land slip closure at Anderton - see L&L
Go South
Huddersfield - currently closed - sink holes - (I'd like to drop a certain CEO into one of those) might get through always a gamble.
Go back

Then there's the strong chance of even more closures so may not get back at the end of summer.

Dream? - fooking nightmare!

footnote: Mr Parry would you be so kind as to do us all a big favour and let someone take over who understands that a Navigation Authority is about navigating the waterways and not jogging, walking or cycling them. 

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

So here we are in captivity in deepest Yorkshire. Most of us not been cruising for ages so all getting excited as April 12 approaches. But there could be a problem (again).

footnote: Mr Parry would you be so kind as to do us all a big favour and let someone take over who understands that a Navigation Authority is about navigating the waterways and not jogging, walking or cycling them. 

What's needed is the reincatnation of Robin Evans MBE

48 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Go East
Figure of Three - still closed promised assisted passage but rumours rife that contractors have been relocated to the Aire & Calder
Aire and Calder - suppose Fo3 is open for assisted passage but no access to the Trent via Pollington - perilous journey around Trent Falls hmmmm?
Turn left at Castleford and try the L&L over to Manchester but T&M land slip closure at Anderton so divert around the Ashton & Macc
Go West
Rochdale - been closed more than open for a year yet there maybe a window of opportunity to escape via Manchester, but T&M land slip closure at Anderton - see L&L
Go South
Huddersfield - currently closed - sink holes - (I'd like to drop a certain CEO into one of those) might get through always a gamble.
Go back

Then there's the strong chance of even more closures so may not get back at the end of summer.

Ya butt no butt. Will the pubs be open.?

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Go East
Go West
Go South
Go back

My boat is in Huddersfield and I am in the same position although the HNC is supposed to be open from 31.3.You still need to book passage through lock 1E,and after an e mail from me asking how long this will last, the answer was they will review it at the end of the year.

It did say they would appreciate one way passage.

So no day trips up the HNC this year.

Still leaves trips to Dewsbury. ?

23 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Have moored overnight on the Dewsbury visitor moorings,once before and found it a quiet place to overnight.

There are worse places to visit.

I agree. Was pleasantly surprised. The basin seems a nice spot, though it is rather shallow on the visitor mooring. Have moored by the junction too. When it is your only cruising option though...

12 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

We had thought to move our boat from the Midlands to Yorkshire to make it more readily accessible. This is looking like an increasingly bad idea.

On the flip side, there is commercial carrying on some of the Yorkshire waterways. This leads to CaRT putting more effort in to maintaining and repairing things. One of the problems that is keeping @Midnight trapped is that CaRT may be moving some contractors from rebuilding the Figure of 3 locks (no commercial traffic) to the Aire and Calder breach (much of the commercial traffic) On the commercial routes, not fixing a single non working lock gate, because narrowboats can still get through, isn't an option.

Jen

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Sounds like the end of cruising the canals may be  in sight?

or preferably the end of Richard Parry in sight whose focus is not on navigation. I suspect a petition would get quite a lot of support from boaters but as there is no pressure group that fights for leisure boaters I guess it would come to nothing.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Please don't say that! Sitting in my boat at my mooring feeding the ducks on weekends doesn't appeal at all.

If cruising the cut becomes too awkward,then I will build a posh  shed in my back garden,with leccy and heating and spend my weekends in there!

Won't be quite the same,but reading and posting on CWF will help to reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

But you can still WALK the canals for free!

This is the way things seem to be going now. CaRT seem to have plenty of funding for towing path maintenance. During lockdown we can all walk/run/cycle/walk dogs/live-aboard .... but not go cruising. Very frustrating .....

2 minutes ago, PhilR said:

But you can still WALK the canals for free!

This is the way things seem to be going now. CaRT seem to have plenty of funding for towing path maintenance. During lockdown we can all walk/run/cycle/walk dogs/live-aboard .... but not go cruising. Very frustrating .....

Cycling and Rambling Trust.

2 minutes ago, PhilR said:

What is your point Jen? Are you suggesting we all go cycling and rambling and let CaRT go ahead and neglect essential maintenance? 

Just altering the name to suggest the actual priorities of CaRT, rather than the ones most boaters would like them to have.

12 minutes ago, PhilR said:

During lockdown we can all walk/run/cycle/walk dogs/live-aboard .... but not go cruising. Very frustrating .....

But only if you do so locally, only with members of your own household or bubble, and not staying on the towpath overnight.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Just altering the name to suggest the actual priorities of CaRT, rather than the ones most boaters would like them to have.

Apologies Jen. I just got my brain in gear and picked up on the meaning of your CaRT post!!!

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They seem to be managing it at the moment .............

The problem with a lot of CaRT managers is that they don't manage to do much at all. The first stoppage I encountered was in the 90's on the Macc around Congleton it was a breach (culvert?) and was fixed within 5 days.

Edited by Midnight

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

The problem with a lot of CaRT managers is that they don't manage to do much at all.

They do manage to do nothing towards 'planned maintenance', its just a 'wait for it to break' philosophy, thats why so much breaks down at a similar time.

It makes it hard for the guys on the ground who are trying to do their best with no support.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

They do manage to do nothing towards 'planned maintenance', its just a 'wait for it to break' philosophy, thats why so much breaks down at a similar time.

It makes it hard for the guys on the ground who are trying to do their best with no support.

Those 'good guys' on the ground who I have spoken to are becoming very disillusioned and frustrated. Many are willing and capable of small fixes but are told by managers (I use the term loosely) not to do so and anyway they don't have any tools.