Replacing portholes with hoppers...a bad idea?

thingsweregood

Featured Posts

Hello hivemind,

I'm still on the hunt for a boat, and I've seen a couple which look alright but have more portholes than the larger hopper-style windows. My preference would be for larger windows for airflow, ventilation, light etc - especially in the bedroom where it seems like they often only have portholes.

Is it inadvisable to replace a porthole or two with a larger window? Or to install a window where there is none at all? Not sure if this would affect the structural integrity of the boat at all, or if its more just an aesthetic/cost/security decision.

Thank you!

I find that having portholes in the bedroom and bathroom and engine area is ideal

It's often too warm in the saloon, as the stove heats the whole boat. 

Also privacy much better, and it's quieter, Ideally I would have portholes with half opening glazing. 

The only problem I have with portholes is that the condensation causes the Hull, sorry sidesto rust, so I may have to have them removed for maintenance, 

When on board, ventilation is easily adjusted. 

No way would I change to windows, even a hatch would need to be in saloon area. 

No way would I fit anything other than my sliding windows by Caldwell. 

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

with regard to structural integrity, it would depend on whether their are frames that would need to be cut where the windows are to be fitted.

Forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by frames needing to be cut? I assumed that if there was just a porthole, this would need to be removed and a whole large section of the steel side of the boat would need to be cut out to install a hopper. Is this what you mean? Would cutting a larger hole have a big impact on structural integrity? (I would get a professional to do the work)

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I find that having portholes in the bedroom and bathroom and engine area is ideal

It's often too warm in the saloon, as the stove heats the whole boat. 

Also privacy much better, and it's quieter, Ideally I would have portholes with half opening glazing. 

The only problem I have with portholes is that the condensation causes the hull to rust, so I may have to have them removed for maintenance, 

When on board, ventilation is easily adjusted. 

No way would I change to windows, even a hatch would need to be in saloon area. 

Don't mind me asking but how do portholes cause your hull to rust. The cabin I could understand.

Just now, thingsweregood said:

Forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by frames needing to be cut? I assumed that if there was just a porthole, this would need to be removed and a whole large section of the steel side of the boat would need to be cut out to install a hopper. Is this what you mean? Would cutting a larger hole have a big impact on structural integrity? (I would get a professional to do the work)

behind the steel side there should be steel frames to add rigidity to it. You may have to cut some of them if they are where you want the window installing.

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Don't mind me asking but how do portholes cause your hull to rust. The cabin I could understand.

Yes, I meant cabin sides, probably lack of maintenance at some stage, the bare steel inside is exposed. 

24 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

My hull was built to order and I have ports throughout. The cabin sides are stiffened by a series 1" square steel tubes, some horizontal and some vertical. I'm sure variations on this theme are possible but without some form of stiffening the sides, which are 5 mm in my case , would flex. As it happens I have side doors both port and starboard 25" wide. (handy for getting white goods in and out). I also have 2 houdini hatches which provide both light and ventilation. (not over beds etc) . Within reason you do what you like but it will involve cutting old stiffening and welding in new.  

There's a lot of aesthetics involved. A couple of portholes at the back end tend to look OK with windows towards the fore end, the other way round looks odd though. Quite a lot of work in changing them though, cutting a piece of steel out is not too hard, fixing a window in is not really rocket science but you need to start a new thread on how to do it if you go down that route. Tidying up the inside though can be awkward.  Steel is tough stuff so unless you put huge windows in I wouldn't worry about structural stuff. I prefer windows myself. After a couple of weeks of February gloom light matters. I reckon all boaters with portholes have vitamin D deficiency .

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Yes, I meant cabin sides, probably lack of maintenance at some stage, the bare steel inside is exposed. 

New one on me, mind you I have seen loads of boats with rust round the window frames and leaking