Dripping tap

blackrose

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I have a similar tap (only one "handle", which tips as well swivels) and found that, with a little persuasion, the cap and rod slide off to give access to the interior.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go.

I wondered if there were any downsides to this style of tap when I bought it cheaply from ebay as a replacement to the original 12+ year old tap. Now I know! 

Edit: I've realised the lever unscrews and then there's an allen key stud that also unscrews. But I still can't get the tap off. I tried putting a flat screwdriver between the tap body and end cap, but it's not moving.

IMG_20210305_124022.jpg

IMG_20210305_124136.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Probably just rusted on a bit. You’ll need to lever symmetrically (ie 2 screwdrivers on opposite side of the knob). But these 90 degree action taps work on ceramic discs, there isn’t really anything to tighten up. Your only hope so that there might be a tiny bit of grit stuck between the discs and flushing that out might fix it, otherwise a new tap is probably required.

Try a squirt of WD40 and leave it a while. Pound to a penny that it's on a spline. Same bet that underneath you'll find a ceramic disc type valve. You may be able to stripndown the assembly and clean the limescale off the faces or track down replacement valves. Are you in a hard water area? It's not just cheap taps that suffer. Years ago we bought top of the range Franke taps (before China was discovered) and I used strip them down every couple of years. I always kept a couple of new valves 'in stock'