Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I was playing spot the mooring as well 

In fact I think that all the "mooring" shots were in the same place the mooring by the  layby on the A10.

Loved the shot of the boat on the bank at Maureen's Lock 😎

I agree - the picnic tables were the clue. 

24 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I agree - the picnic tables were the clue. 

Last time we passed that mooring  at the end of lockdown there was a full on "new age" festival/party going on, boats, camper vans, campers, the lot. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The continuity errors were a bit annoying (eg the mooring "south of Ely" where they had the discussion about religion was actually near Brandon Creek, well north of Ely.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I was playing spot the mooring as well 

In fact I think that all the "mooring" shots were in the same place the mooring by the  layby on the A10.

Loved the shot of the boat on the bank at Maureen's Lock 😎

10/10 for spot the mooring. It was indeed that one -I had a jolly pleasants nights kip there after they had all left for the night 😀

• Greenie 2

I have to say I do take my hat off to Sheila Hancock . She is only about 5ft odd and its not easy steering a narrowboat when to start with you havent had much practice and then to top it all you have two bloody great cameraman sat on the roof right in front of you and you have to make up the dialogue as you go.

• Greenie 1

Why do you think they make up the dialogue. When they passed us their researcher questioned our lock wheeler about the boat and the engine. This was relayed to the boat by walkie talkie. They then create the dialogue in this case directed at me.

They cut my response because he asked a question to which he knew the answer, and chose to make himself look smart, rather than correct.

My response would only have been understandable to those in the know, and also contained a highly accurate word to describe Giles.

The only thing I like about these shows is witnessing Sheila Hancock's barely concealed annoyance with Brandreth.  There is something quite annoying about people who seem to have an "entertaining" anecdote for almost every occasion.  Sheila Hancock comes across as a much more appealing personality.  

It's a TV programme, and the interviews and discussion are entertaining to many people, giving a different aspect of the two celebrities to what one normally sees.

If you want to watch a canal documentary, there are plenty of blogs/vlogs on Utube. Generally they also don't know what they're talking about.

• Greenie 3

I watched last night's programme on Wigan to Liverpool with particular interest as it's our home waters.

It's very easy when you know the area to pick holes in the continuity and I was doing it all the way through. For example coming out of a pub in Wigan and getting on the boat in Burscough, then being back in Parbold. Saying that Spencer's swing bridge was their first - how did they get through the swing footbridge in Appley Bridge then? Coming out of Scarisbrick Hall and then being shown approaching Scarisbrick. And Thompson Dagnall's studio is in Bretherton, some 15 miles from Halsall (although not far from the Rufford branch at Tarleton).

But that's not really the point of the programme, as ex Brummie says. The shows are for general TV audiences, not enthusiasts. I doubt that even some posters on here who have not been on this stretch of canal would have spotted the inconsistencies.

What did surprise me was that they didn't show anything of the prettiest section of the canal between Dean Lock and Parbold or anything of the Liverpool link.

• Greenie 1

From Dover Lock (the Inn closed years ago and it's one of the few places where the closure improved the moorings) they would only have gone through the bottom two locks of the Wigan flight anyway.

There was one time when Brandreth was left to drive the boat himself that I assumed he was going to hit the bridge so full marks for not resorting to the Tim cliche.