Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Simon Pooley said:

Thanks for your great information.

:)

The last program was based on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal experiencing Kidderminster and venturing up to Wolverhampton. Like others in this type of transport linked to history themed programs, there was an interesting balance of subjects. Yet like all these programs there always the question of what more could be said.

Gyles hitting the sides was accompanied by the comment about boating being a "contact sport" may be considered by some as to being humorous, but was it staged for effect and to keep into character so to speak ?

The visit to a pantomime stage may have some sort of tongue in cheek connection, almost as if parts were deliberately arranged.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Well all polititians are incompetant, but he's utterly hopeless at steering I admit the biggest I've steered is 45 foot but wouldn't mind ago at a 70 footer.

But he is the first to say Sheila is much better.

I saw this week's broadcast of them on the Lea and Stort. Interesting bit on the abandoned internal  canal network of the former explosives factory, with the remains of the paddle gear of an intentionally very slow-filling lock to avoid shock to explosive-carrying barges. A bit of lack of continuity at the end, where they visited the Theatre Royal in Stratford before exploring the backwaters of the former Olympic Park: No doubt they got a cab as it's some distance from the nearest part of the canal proper or Bow backwaters.

The episode also showed on-board cooking, if you count heating a tin of baked beans as cooking.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I saw this week's broadcast of them on the Lea and Stort. Interesting bit on the abandoned internal  canal network of the former explosives factory, with the remains of the paddle gear of an intentionally very slow-filling lock to avoid shock to explosive-carrying barges. A bit of lack of continuity at the end, where they visited the Theatre Royal in Stratford before exploring the backwaters of the former Olympic Park: No doubt they got a cab as it's some distance from the nearest part of the canal proper or Bow backwaters.

The episode also showed on-board cooking, if you count heating a tin of baked beans as cooking.

The Theatre Royal is a 15 minute walk from the nearest part of the Bow Back Ribers

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

They were seen filming on the Bridgewater canal a couple if weeks ago

I quite like the two of them together, Sheila andGiles. They seem to really enjoy the boating and each other’s company.

Tim and Pru did an excellent job in their reign but in my opinion they are both past it, as I will be one year.

• 1 month later...

Well that was a disappointment.

March consisted of a grumpy swan,

didn't even mention that they were on the Middle Levels.

Upwell is was never seen, not even the pretty bits.

No locks except in the background of a flatulent discredited old idiot banging on about nothing.

Utter drivel.

9 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Well that was a disappointment.

March consisted of a grumpy swan,

didn't even mention that they were on the Middle Levels.

Upwell is was never seen, not even the pretty bits.

No locks except in the background of a flatulent discredited old idiot banging on about nothing.

Utter drivel.

Agreed. Nothing about the Denver Complex, no mention of Oliver Cromwell, Cambridge was just a flyover.

Yes I found the programme a huge disappointment.  Having never cruised the Middle Levels, but fully intending to one day, I felt there was nothing informative in the content whatsoever, and Jeffery Archer was the last straw.

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Agreed. Nothing about the Denver Complex, no mention of Oliver Cromwell, Cambridge was just a flyover.

There was alot of filming done and most of it was cut in the end. I think originally it was supposed to be two episodes(could have misunderstood that though)

I did make the point to the director that Denver really was key and should be included but obviously fell on deaf ears. It would have been foolhardy to do the crossing on that boat with the celebs/ crew.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

There was alot of filming done and most of it was cut in the end. I think originally it was supposed to be two episodes(could have misunderstood that though)

I did make the point to the director that Denver really was key and should be included but obviously fell on deaf ears. It would have been foolhardy to do the crossing on that boat with the celebs/ crew.

Francis Pryor's book is well worth a read. I quite enjoyed the film, it doesn't pretend to be a documentary about waterways. I agree Denver is very interesting, but every time I try to explain to someone how the system works their eyes seem to glaze over.

The continuity errors were a bit annoying (eg the mooring "south of Ely" where they had the discussion about religion was actually near Brandon Creek, well north of Ely.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The continuity errors were a bit annoying (eg the mooring "south of Ely" where they had the discussion about religion was actually near Brandon Creek, well north of Ely.

Yes if you are familiar with filming locations that can often be the case. I remember when Top Gear did that hovercraft episode on the Warks Avon. I was living on the river at the time and when I watched it none of what they were saying made any sense because most of the time they weren't where they said they were.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I was playing spot the mooring as well 

In fact I think that all the "mooring" shots were in the same place the mooring by the  layby on the A10.

Loved the shot of the boat on the bank at Maureen's Lock 😎