Featured Posts

Not Tim and Pru but Sheila and Gyles   https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/ndc64p/great-canal-journeys--series-12-episode-1/ Wed 15 March 2100-220 on More4

Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth were no Pru and Tim when they first took to our waterways. Navigating canals and operating locks were a real challenge for these friends, aged 88 and 72 respectively. But they too have a wonderfully comfortable relationship: bickering over silly things as well as having both revealing heart-to-heart chats and the occasional argy-bargy when Gyles steers their narrowboat into a bridge. He’s definitely the cabin boy to Sheila’s captain. 

They nervously pootle along the alarmingly narrow waterways of Staffordshire: “It’s not deep so if we sink, we can walk to the bank,” jokes Gyles. Luckily, they don’t sink and the journey is simply delightful.

SUMMARY

Part one of two. Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth explore the waterways of Staffordshire, journeying along the Caldon Canal and the Trent and Mersey Canal, to Stoke-on-Trent.
  • Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's why I didn't watch, despite being something of a fan of Sheila Hancock.

I think this is the best one so far. There were some interesting conversations. I don't know how far they actually boated

I assume.....they don't actually stay on the boat ?

They are getting on in years....and have little experience........so why the seventy footer ????

It was ok going up in the locks.....but inexperience.......avoiding the cill when its a 72 foot lock...?

Guess....there were unseen hands when the camera stopped..........

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well they have very little experience at boating so they are bound to get things wrong and they dont go gung-ho at it with no respect to other peoples boats 

A reasonable response. But I thought the kangaroo court idea would be more fun.

It's been said before, this type of programme is not for anyone who knows the inland waterways, it's for the general public who just want to see celebs crashing around the system.

I don't believe that they stay onboard (haven't seen a meal cooked yet) & can only imagine that they need a 70 footer to house the film crew & equipment. When was this filmed? No sign of social distancing or masks. 

How did they manage to fly through the Harecastle tunnel without being checked? They also gave the impression that only one boat at a time is allowed in the tunnel.

It's ok, if you accept that it's just light entertainment.

• Greenie 1

On tonight

Part two of two. Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth explore the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. They uncover the history of Stourport, which only came into being after the canal was built there, which is unique for a British town. They explore the history of carpet manufacturing in Kidderminster and meet 84-year-old Audrey, who operated a daunting power loom for much of her working life. Gyles also dons a panto costume in Stourbridge to learn more about the local legend of Dick Whittington. When the duo reach Wolverhampton, they get a taste of the Desi pub, a modern institution in the Black Country that combines Punjabi food with British booze

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

On tonight

Part two of two. Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth explore the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. They uncover the history of Stourport, which only came into being after the canal was built there, which is unique for a British town. They explore the history of carpet manufacturing in Kidderminster and meet 84-year-old Audrey, who operated a daunting power loom for much of her working life. Gyles also dons a panto costume in Stourbridge to learn more about the local legend of Dick Whittington. When the duo reach Wolverhampton, they get a taste of the Desi pub, a modern institution in the Black Country that combines Punjabi food with British booze

It amazes me that the Desi pub hasn't really become a thing outside the west midlands.  They're everywhere in the black country in particular and have saved many a neglected pub from probable closure.  My favourite is the Hen & Chickens in the Jewellery Quarter but for those wanting a shortish walk from the canal may I recommend:

1.  The Keg & Grill, behind the Mailbox.

2.  The New Soho Inn, opposite the Black Eagle, a short walk from Hockley Port.

3.  The New Cottage, near Titford Pumphouse.

4.  The Brades Tavern, near Oldbury.

5.  Old Bush, Tipton.

I haven't tried any further west than that.

Warning:  try to starve yourself all day, or you'll never get through that mixed grill!

Edited by doratheexplorer

Yesterday NBW ridiculed Sheila Hancock for highlighting dangers on canals - BTW, I have yet to watch this episode. However, NBW's item shows how inconsistent we all are when it comes to responding to risk. The whole of continental Europe put itself in mortal danger, both of the CO)VID virus as well as the economic and mental health consequences, by taking the view that 30-odd cases of blood clots (out of tens of millions world wide) was a greater risk. (Both sides of the risk involved fatality so it was not a case of cost-benefit trade off)

I do not know the statistics for death or life-changing injury on the canal network but I strongly suspect, if we include the  cases where individuals were probably part of the liability, it is much higher than clots from Astra Seneca (BTW, ever asked what the risk is with Pfizer?)

This inconsistency also comes to the fore when coroners ask for railings as soon as someone, very unfortunately, is found deceased in a canal. If we remove all risk (which is probably not even feasible) then life would be meaningless. (After all, some of the risk - including COVID-19 - is as a direct result of the mechanisms that brought us into existence in the first place!) Harecastle (vide TheBiscuits) is another complicated example.

Many commentators have found it impossibly dangerous (to their reputation) to address the question of what level of COVID-related deaths are acceptable in a cost-benefit trade-off? Someone has to do that and it looks like having to be politicians. Is that a good thing?

• Greenie 1