Census 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If that is how you get a code, why not just pick any address anywhere?

Seems logical doesn’t it. The young (sounded young) chap I spoke to couldn’t be more apologetic about his un-cooperative manager. The guy took his time and persevered and found an outlet and solution. He said he learnt something as well. 10/10 for him I say.

Having just done ours I do have to say I find it hard to believe that they can make really well informed planning decisions on anything based on what they asked.

A lot of very subjective questions like the health ones don't really lend themselves IMHO to making important decisions.

It felt very much like a very basic box ticking exercise (literally).

We received the census form this morning - or rather the census letter as, though it came by post, it does not include a form to fill in and return by post. Instead, we have to a web site, insert an interminably long code and then answer questions on line. How inconsistent.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

We received the census form this morning - or rather the census letter as, though it came by post, it does not include a form to fill in and return by post. Instead, we have to a web site, insert an interminably long code and then answer questions on line. How inconsistent.

But you don't need to use Snopake when you put the wrong thing down

4 hours ago, Athy said:

You can request a paper form and you can request help if you need it (which I expect you do not).

I thought the form was not too much of a challenge.

Edited by MartynG

Well that was a mission! Tried to change the address from our old mooring....told to contact the helpline...tried to use access code with new mooring address...wasnt allowed...had webchat...gave new address...code given linked to another boat here....webchat again...gave them all details again...they were in process of making me a new account when their system crashed....anyhow couple of hours later texted new code which finally linked through to boat at new mooring!....census then completed....bit miffed at being described as a mobile home or other temporary structure...especially after all the mention of boats on other bits of the census site.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

When to complete your census
Every household should complete the census on Sunday 21 March 2021 or as soon as possible after. If you’ve responded before 21 March and things have changed, you can let us know by calling us free.

Just sayin' ...

Apparently you can do it before if your circumstances are unlikely to change....so it looks like I cant replace the OH before then....or indeed sell the boat!...given its taken me a week to get a working access code its possibly a good job I have done it early!

Edited by frangar

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Every household should complete the census on Sunday 21 March 2021 or as soon as possible after. If you’ve responded before 21 March and things have changed, you can let us know by calling us free.

Just sayin' ...

Yes I did wonder about that when I did ours. And then thought surely if it was so important that it was done on the day or after why did the system allow me to complete it?

It would easy to lock people out untill the 21st.

Interesting court case been going on re the census form. Looks like sense has prevailed.

The wording permitted trans people to take the definition of their sex from passport, birth cert or other documents. This has been changed so that sex is only defined by the birth cert, and then if you are over 16 answer a second question as to your gender.

I believe there will be a judicial review, we await the outcome.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/09/guidance-on-sex-question-in-uk-census-must-be-changed-high-court-rules

Edited by Loddon

If everyone does it the same time the site will explode. Done today , in lockdown nothing should change and you can change it if something vital ( like changing your gender after 65 years) alters.

Unfortunately there are gaps. You cannot put entries like ‘ i dont know’ in places, and you should be able to.

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just sayin' ...

Yes . It says if you have responded early and things have changed you can let them know .

42 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I believe there will be a judicial review, we await the outcome.

It's a sign of the times that every little thing is such a big deal and every thing has to be challenged and questioned  rather than, in this case , just fill the form in and forget about it for another  10 years.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 2

On 09/03/2021 at 14:19, The Happy Nomad said:

Having just done ours I do have to say I find it hard to believe that they can make really well informed planning decisions on anything based on what they asked.

A lot of very subjective questions like the health ones don't really lend themselves IMHO to making important decisions.

It felt very much like a very basic box ticking exercise (literally).

That's exactly what it is. As I said several days ago: statistical significance.  Your humble opinion is not too well-informed, apparently.

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's exactly what it is. As I said several days ago: statistical significance.  Your humble opinion is not too well-informed, apparently.

Surprising as you may find it I dont read much of the drivel you post.

17 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Out of interest how do you know it is drivel unless you read it?

Based on posts read in the past.

In this case he quoted me so I saw it. If he and a couple of others dont quote me I see they have posted but just skip over what they post.

Simple really.

On 05/03/2021 at 17:12, ditchcrawler said:

But they will be able to collect it all automatically from our vaccine 

Sadly there are some people who will actually believe that.

How are people getting on with this? I spent 20 minutes this morning on hold and when I got through explained that I live on a boat and have no fixed address. "Do you have a postcode?" I can give you the postcode of where I am now, is that OK? "Yes". Give postcode, get access code. Type in access code to website, and it comes back with an address in the area. Is this the correct address? No. What is your postcode, with option for "I don't live at a fixed address". Click that. Please contact us by calling <number> back to square one, except that the call centre is now so busy they won't even let you into the queue. Temped to give up, but I want to register one of my nationalities as "European".

So do you just have to camp on a local address, or is there a proper traveller identity that I've failed to find?

MP.

Did ours today as on Census day it'll probably all go offline!  I stated that on Census day we don't have anyone staying over so if anyone turns up they can bugger off. Maybe they are trying to catch us out with Covid restrictions?  :)

8 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

How are people getting on with this? I spent 20 minutes this morning on hold and when I got through explained that I live on a boat and have no fixed address. "Do you have a postcode?" I can give you the postcode of where I am now, is that OK? "Yes". Give postcode, get access code. Type in access code to website, and it comes back with an address in the area. Is this the correct address? No. What is your postcode, with option for "I don't live at a fixed address". Click that. Please contact us by calling <number> back to square one, except that the call centre is now so busy they won't even let you into the queue. Temped to give up, but I want to register one of my nationalities as "European".

So do you just have to camp on a local address, or is there a proper traveller identity that I've failed to find?

MP.

There is a help page for people not living at a fixed address but a cursory glance suggests it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot for liveaboard boaters.

https://census.gov.uk/help/types-of-household-or-accommodation/people-not-living-at-a-fixed-address

Edited by The Happy Nomad