Census 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Two thoughts cross my mind.

1.  Isn't it a legal requirement?

2.  If enough people don't bother the future supply of hospitals, roads, sewage etc will be a little out of kilter because as far as I know the info from the census is used for future planning knowing how many people, in what age groups, and where.

I will not be around long enough to mess up any one's planning figures, except may be crematoriums. As to the legality I really am not in the least concerned.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

I will not be around long enough to mess up any one's planning figures, except may be crematoriums. As to the legality I really am not in the least concerned.

Strangely I never mentioned you so I must have touched a nerve.   I was talking about the population in general believe it or not there is life away from the canals.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

2.  If enough people don't bother the future supply of hospitals, roads, sewage etc will be a little out of kilter because as far as I know the info from the census is used for future planning knowing how many people, in what age groups, and where.

Its bunkum. Big brother knows exactly who is where and what. When my missus claimed her state pension on the phone the bloke knew everything about her and in fact me. He knew how many years she had paid Ni and that is tied into hmrc who know when and what income tax we have paid. The nhs have us all numbered from birth which is instantly available to them online now whichever and which hospital I attend.

6 minutes ago, Thorfast said:

According to the 1920 Census Act it is a legal requirement to complete the census and manditory to answer the questions, although I understand there are a few questions included this year that are optional.

But thats th eproblem isnt it? Frangar is wanting to comply and fill the form in but due to not having a silly postcode he is unable to do it. Thousands of people dont have postcodes. If it can be done on line via a post code then it can be done without one tied in to your ni number or something in this day of computers. Over forty years ago when I joined the police I could bring up anyones criminal record or car details on the Police national computer in four seconds, technology now is light years ahead of then.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The nhs have us all numbered from birth which is instantly available to them online now whichever and which hospital I attend.

I wonder if they have cross referenced them ?
My NHS number at birth and for quite a few years after was "MDAV157" and more recently has become "446 X73 XX21"

I did try giving the MDAV157 number to the hospital once and they told me that it wasn't a UK NHS number.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its bunkum. Big brother knows exactly who is where and what. When my missus claimed her state pension on the phone the bloke knew everything about her and in fact me. He knew how many years she had paid Ni and that is tied into hmrc who know when and what income tax we have paid. The nhs have us all numbered from birth which is instantly available to them online now whichever and which hospital I attend.

Please explain then the expense of a census particularly in the current times?

Just because they know about you it doesn't say they know about everybody and their info can be faulty Mrs J was a radiographer for a while all trace of her pension disappeared at one point.

EDITn to add when you were with the police you would have no problems as the state knows everything about everybody.  Correct?

Edited by Jerra

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My NHS number at birth and for quite a few years after was "MDAV157" and more recently has become "446 X73 XX21"

I did try giving the MDAV157 number to the hospital once and they told me that it wasn't a UK NHS number.

Dunno? Surely though we all have an ni number and an nhs number and thats all thats needed for such a form.

Dunno? Surely though we all have an ni number and an nhs number and thats all thats needed for such a form.

The point is they also find out information about say the ethnic mix in a district, the housing conditions e.g. the number of people per household etc.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Please explain then the expense of a census particularly in the current times?

Just because they know about you it doesn't say they know about everybody and their info can be faulty Mrs J was a radiographer for a while all trace of her pension disappeared at one point.

I spose mistakes are made paper trail wise. I know I went on line and looked at my state pension forecast a couple of weeks ago and they have every years ince 1971 to date with wether I paid a full year or not. Even if its the case that people may be missed why cannot someone without a postcode do the census easily on line without all this nonsense? its precisely the same with voting as I did it recently, the local council office staff even apologised to me for having to fill a paper form in LOL

Just now, Jerra said:

The point is they also find out information about say the ethnic mix in a district, the housing conditions e.g. the number of people per household etc.

Blimey why do they need to know the ethnic mix? are we not all the same now? same sex, same gender etc etc. I do get your point its the stupidity of differentiating between people with and people without postcodes when we are all people.

I spose mistakes are made paper trail wise. I know I went on line and looked at my state pension forecast a couple of weeks ago and they have every years ince 1971 to date with wether I paid a full year or not. Even if its the case that people may be missed why cannot someone without a postcode do the census easily on line without all this nonsense? its precisely the same with voting as I did it recently, the local council office staff even apologised to me for having to fill a paper form in LOL

Ah that isn't the same thing as your "bunkum" statement.  I would agree in this day and age it is ludicrous that everybody can't do the census online but not that the census isn't needed.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably you had one of those cardboard Healths Service cards with the number etc. on it - then when anyone suggests another form of ID card it gets howled down.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Presumably you had one of those cardboard Healths Service cards with the number etc. on it - then when anyone suggests another form of ID card it gets howled down.

Precisely. We should all have id cards from birth but people think ( a few ) that its against their freedom :banghead:

37 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Both valid points but a bit tricky if even those who want to fill it in are being thwarted from doing so. 

• Greenie 2

Wouldn't it be better to do the census when the Covid pandemic is out of the way.

In 1300AD and something tax was calculated using the census from before the Black Death had reduced the population somewhat.Having found the tax receipts rather light,the then king,Richard 2nd I think,sent the tax collectors around again.

The result was the peasant's revolt!!

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

One observation I would make is with ID cards you are generally required to have them on your person at all times when away from the home.   That isn't a requirement of a Health Service card.   I suspect it is the compulsion to carry them or else which people object to.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Wouldn't it be better to do the census when the Covid pandemic is out of the way.

In 1300AD and something tax was calculated using the census from before the Black Death had reduced the population somewhat.Having found the tax receipts rather light,the then king,Richard 2nd I think,sent the tax collectors around again.

The result was the peasant's revolt!!

There are those who will tell you the UK population will remain unchanged by the pandemic there is at least one forumite who has said it a number of times.

43 minutes ago, Jerra said:

A closer one to home. How many people live fulltime on canal boats and require facilities and infrastructure 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

A closer one to home. How many people live fulltime on canal boats and require facilities and infrastructure 

Trouble being that if you fill the census form in at the specified time and date as is usualy required you may never be in that area ever again anyway as a boater. Only the few with residential moorings do that and they will get a form anyway like house dwellers do.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Most people at sometime require hospitals and other services.  Doubt any country would bother the expense of a census particularly at a time like this unless they gained some value from it.   As I pointed out before I am talking about nationally not merely the boating community but boaters do benefit from public services such as hospitals and doctors.

Trouble being that if you fill the census form in at the specified time and date as is usualy required you may never be in that area ever again anyway as a boater. Only the few with residential moorings do that and they will get a form anyway like house dwellers do.

Much of the information is used nationally it isn't merely for local services.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So it will show travelling boaters who need moorings etc.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

So it will show travelling boaters who need moorings etc.

But surely the reason you have to fill it in at a certain time and date is so the figures relate to where people live for distribution of services? If you move around its not relevant and they already know how many of us are alive in the country by all the other means and numbers. I appreciate its a reasonable idea to have a census but its gross stupidity and completely wrong that some people can fill one in online whilst others cannot.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I reckon the Mormons want it so that they know how many souls they have in stock to sell on  to "find your ancestors"

I have been given a code to do it online today, via the web chat option.  I gave my c/o address, confirming that wasn't my home, purely a post receiving address. The census asks what your home type is, one option being "canal barge" (grrrr), so clarifies you are not living in a house address. Another friend phoned and they figured the postcode for the nearest bridge and then provided a code. You have to give a mobile number for the code to be texted to you.

Like frangar, I want to be noted in the census for potential ancestry tracing in the future...though I doubt anyone will trace me, but if they do, I want them to know my situation.  It was made legally mandatory in 2018 i think. £1000 fine if you refuse (if found).

Edited by Ally

We had this problem 10 years ago. We wanted to be registered as living on a boat for the same reason, in case any of our descendants happened to research our branch of the family.

Unfortunately I had to give up in the end, I spent hours on the phone going round and round in circles.

It was particularly annoying that there were so many announcements saying it was mandatory and non compliance would result in dines.