Census 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Trouble being that if you fill the census form in at the specified time and date as is usualy required you may never be in that area ever again anyway as a boater. Only the few with residential moorings do that and they will get a form anyway like house dwellers do.

Two words.

Statistically significant

(Or not)

6 hours ago, Ally said:

I have been given a code to do it online today, via the web chat option.  I gave my c/o address, confirming that wasn't my home, purely a post receiving address. The census asks what your home type is, one option being "canal barge" (grrrr), so clarifies you are not living in a house address. Another friend phoned and they figured the postcode for the nearest bridge and then provided a code. You have to give a mobile number for the code to be texted to you.

Like frangar, I want to be noted in the census for potential ancestry tracing in the future...though I doubt anyone will trace me, but if they do, I want them to know my situation.  It was made legally mandatory in 2018 i think. £1000 fine if you refuse (if found).

Interesting as I was told specifically I couldn’t use my post address as it was a business. I shall try again! 

7 hours ago, Ally said:

I have been given a code to do it online today, via the web chat option.  I gave my c/o address, confirming that wasn't my home, purely a post receiving address. The census asks what your home type is, one option being "canal barge" (grrrr), so clarifies you are not living in a house address. Another friend phoned and they figured the postcode for the nearest bridge and then provided a code. You have to give a mobile number for the code to be texted to you.

Like frangar, I want to be noted in the census for potential ancestry tracing in the future...though I doubt anyone will trace me, but if they do, I want them to know my situation.  It was made legally mandatory in 2018 i think. £1000 fine if you refuse (if found).

Does someone else live at your c/o address? If so did they confirm they could also complete the census?

My web chat guy couldn’t answer the second question. 

The option of the nearest house/bridge sounds better as using a c/o address may log your location as miles from where you are moored. Again my guy couldn’t help with that. 

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Its bunkum. Big brother knows exactly who is where and what. When my missus claimed her state pension on the phone the bloke knew everything about her and in fact me. He knew how many years she had paid Ni and that is tied into hmrc who know when and what income tax we have paid. The nhs have us all numbered from birth which is instantly available to them online now whichever and which hospital I attend.

But thats th eproblem isnt it? Frangar is wanting to comply and fill the form in but due to not having a silly postcode he is unable to do it. Thousands of people dont have postcodes. If it can be done on line via a post code then it can be done without one tied in to your ni number or something in this day of computers. Over forty years ago when I joined the police I could bring up anyones criminal record or car details on the Police national computer in four seconds, technology now is light years ahead of then.

I believe that there was quite a debate between politicians and the statisticians about whether a census was still required in the light of the observations such as yours above, especially in view of the cost. However, as I understand it, the experts argued that it is still important to reset the baseline every decade as many of the subsequent calculations are based on changes that may or may not drift away from the baseline.

As an example, in the process of changing electricity supplier for a property we originally bought 30 years ago, we found that British Gas (sic) had a postcode that was changed as we bought it. Th reason was that planning permission for change of use required the access from a country road to be blocked and that we should use a new estate side road, on the grounds of road safety. As a result we moved from one PO walk to another and thus a new postcode. BG still using out of date data!

2 hours ago, MHS said:

Does someone else live at your c/o address? If so did they confirm they could also complete the census?

The option of the nearest house/bridge sounds better as using a c/o address may log your location as miles from where you are moored. Again my guy couldn’t help with that. 

Is it not still the head of the household - the (non-PC) term used in the past?

10 hours ago, Ally said:

It was made legally mandatory in 2018 i think. £1000 fine if you refuse (if found).

I was listening about it on the radio yesterday and they discussed the law side

The Census Act 1920 (as amended) legislates a fine of up to £1,000 for those who refuse to complete their census forms. In some censuses, significant numbers of people intentionally did not participate for political reasons.

I've not got a form, but can confirm there is something called 'The  Spine' which is accessible to police, maybe NHS, as they knew my mobile number even though I had not told anyone 'official' 

I will be reappearing on the census this year for the first time since 1988, just did a quick look at the previous census dates and I will only have been on three in my lifetime and only one of those as an adult.

So I have missed half of them?

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've not got a form, but can confirm there is something called 'The  Spine' which is accessible to police, maybe NHS, as they knew my mobile number even though I had not told anyone 'official' 

?

Spine is the NHS record sharing system. 

Did you not give your GP your mobile number?  I didn't think a CCer would have a landline number ...

7 hours ago, MHS said:

Yes there is. It didn't actually occur to me they wouldn't be able to but I clarified it was a family members address that I only use for post.

Edited to add, it seems to me from here, and various fb discussions that the office for national statistics really haven't trained people up to all sing from the same hymn sheet. Some are finding it straightforward,  others, even if with the same information,  are going round in circles.  Hopefully by next time we can just use what3words  to place ourselves. 

Edited by Ally

After a bit of thought I typed in the post code from our old mooring where we were registered to vote....when we moved away we changed our voting address to our business address....and low & behold our boat was one of the listed options....clicked on that and an access code was sent to the mobile! Even more bizarre really as we haven't been registered there for 8 months now! 

It does say if a new code is requested this overwrites any information entered before so those using relatives addresses etc might need to be careful...there is a link you can tick to say you need your own access code...not sure what happens then.

As of this morning when we checked with our mooring manager no one had been in touch with them to deliver access codes or forms etc.

4 hours ago, Ally said:

Yes there is. It didn't actually occur to me they wouldn't be able to but I clarified it was a family members address that I only use for post.

Edited to add, it seems to me from here, and various fb discussions that the office for national statistics really haven't trained people up to all sing from the same hymn sheet. Some are finding it straightforward,  others, even if with the same information,  are going round in circles.  Hopefully by next time we can just use what3words  to place ourselves. 

Doesn't "What3Words" locate you in a 2mx3m square?

If so it might be too much detail if you were on the loo when you were completing your census form! ?

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If so it might be too much detail if you were on the loo when you were completing your census form! ?

I don't think you have to describe your activities 

Anyways,  will someone locate me? 

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

2m X 3m is not a square, its a rectangle.  The real dimension is 3m X 3m which is a square.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Especially if there are 3 other adults there at the same time 

A friend is involved with the Census and has a stack of paper forms for those  who need them . There must be  people locally who are involved  all over the country.

For people who don't know their location  will be in advance should wait until 21st March or later  to complete the form . 

To get help including a paper form if required phone free on 0800 141 2021 to find your nearest Census support centre.

Just received a code by text. Very helpful chap.

Anyway, if I get this correct, he has used my sons postcode and entered me as an individual from the resident at that postcode. That allowed him to send a separate access code to my mobile. Job done.

The mind boggles. Considering it’s a legal requirement, you’d think ‘managers’ would be up to speed on all eventualities

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Just received a code by text. Very helpful chap.

Anyway, if I get this correct, he has used my sons postcode and entered me as an individual from the resident at that postcode. That allowed him to send a separate access code to my mobile. Job done.

The mind boggles. Considering it’s a legal requirement, you’d think ‘managers’ would be up to speed on all eventualities

I have just filled ours in and parts are predictive text. one question asks if you are away for 30 days or more and if so where, it gives the option of a post code of manually insert address. I started the address with the word Narrowboat and it brought up several choices which I assume people have registered as their address