Census 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

Has anyone without a residential address managed to get a census code or form? 

Ive just chatted to the help centre only to be told I cant get a code to fill the online form in as I dont have a residential address....all my post/doctor/voting etc is sent to my business address which everyone seems happy with!

The census office suggests I need to go to a "help centre" to fill one in in person which is some 15 miles away in the middle of leicester.

I cant see many without a fixed address doing this!! I am quite happy to fill the form in but especially with the current situation it seems bizarre that Im expected to travel when the facility exists to carry it out online!

Any thoughts welcome!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Has anyone without a residential address managed to get a census code or form? 

Ive just chatted to the help centre only to be told I cant get a code to fill the online form in as I dont have a residential address....all my post/doctor/voting etc is sent to my business address which everyone seems happy with!

The census office suggests I need to go to a "help centre" to fill one in in person which is some 15 miles away in the middle of leicester.

I cant see many without a fixed address doing this!! I am quite happy to fill the form in but especially with the current situation it seems bizarre that Im expected to travel when the facility exists to carry it out online!

Any thoughts welcome!

Last time a chap from the census approached us on the moorings and handed out the forms, apparently it was part of his job

• Happy 1

Ive always managed to avoid being on one. I have as now always had a licence as a ccer as thats what I have always wanted. It has meant such stuff as this is easy to avoid.

If I realy wanted to be on one the local coucil office is very helpful and was spot on when I registered as homeless for the vote.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Last time a chap from the census approached us on the moorings and handed out the forms, apparently it was part of his job

Yes we had a load of forms dropped at the marina last time but given the current situation I cant find out if thats happening this time....and as apparently you can do it online I expected just to be able to get a code to get access....I did ask if I could tie it to my postal address but as thats not a residential address they wont do it. I wouldn't mind but the website says if you live on a Houseboat then contact us to get a code!

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive always managed to avoid being on one. I have as now always had a licence as a ccer as thats what I have always wanted. It has meant such stuff as this is easy to avoid.

If I realy wanted to be on one the local coucil office is very helpful and was spot on when I registered as homeless for the vote.

Having used a census for researching family history I dont mind being on one for future generations amongst other things....and I want to say I live on a boat!!...otherwise we have even less of a say on how things might be...my voting address is my business address ...that wasn't an issue. Its now a point of principle!

Edited by frangar

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

And I thought you were a law abiding gentleman 

Ive just looked online and on the ONS website under census 2021. There is a specific bit for homeless and they say you can do it by mobile fone. You get in touch and they text you a code and hey presto, or so it says ?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive just looked online and on the ONS website under census 2021. There is a specific bit for homeless and they say you can do it by mobile fone. You get in touch and they text you a code and hey presto, or so it says ?

Indeed....I said that.....but the office said no! not without an address!!....I'm not going to let it go....I shall try again and perhaps be more forthright......I might involve the MP but he cant be bothered to reply to anything I send him!

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Indeed....I said that.....but the office said no! not without an address!!....I'm not going to let it go....I shall try again and perhaps be more forthright......I might involve the MP but he cant be bothered to reply to anything I send him!

Ive just looked again and there is an actual section for people living on canal boats and mobile homes by telefone, wouldnt suprise me though if you have a problem. For instance registering to vote can be done on line but if you are homeless you have to fill a physical form in and it cannot be done online. Bloody barmy. Stupid world thinks everyone has a postcode when thousands dont and never have.

• Greenie 1

Had this from CRT.

Census 2021

It doesn’t matter if your home floats or if it’s a two up, two down, in the heart of a bustling metropolis. On 21 March every household in England and Wales will be expected to complete their census questionnaire.

The census is for everyone. Once every ten years, it helps build the most complete picture of England and Wales. The whole population has the chance to provide the information that ensures all communities are represented in decisions on funding and services. This could mean Boats moored on towpaththings like doctors’ surgeries, housing or new bus routes.

If you live on your boat you may start receiving letters, either by hand from a census officer or in the post in March, with details of how to take part. The deciding factor will be whether you live on a long term mooring that is registered with Royal Mail.

If registered with Royal Mail, you will receive a letter containing a unique access code to allow you to complete your online census form. If you are not on the Royal Mail mailing list but are a moored in a marina (or similar) an attempt will be made by a census officer to deliver a letter or questionnaire by hand to permanent and visitor moorings before 20 March.

If you have not received a letter or questionnaire with an access code by 23 March, then please visit the census website or Public Contact Centre (which opens on 1 March) where you can request to receive a text to a UK mobile phone, which contains an access code to complete the census online.

Those who are continuously cruising will be counted over the period 20-22 March. A census officer will hand deliver paper questionnaires to visitor moorings; however, you can also request an access code via text to be sent to a UK mobile phone as per the above paragraph.

From one boater to another – Census 2021 and coronavirus

The census is coming at a critical point. It will be fundamental to government’s understanding of the impact the coronavirus has had on different communities and how we all live.

Government has designed Census 2021 to be simple, straightforward and safe to complete. This will be a digital-first census, and they will Boats on the Chesterfield Canal, courtesy Richard Croftbe encouraging people to participate online with online support, including help by email, social media, text message and on a webchat facility on their website.

People can also complete their census over the phone, with the help of trained staff, or can request a paper form.

Census staff will never need to come aboard; they will always be socially distanced, wearing PPE and work in line with all government guidance.

Everyone benefits from the census

In charge of delivering the census is the ONS’s deputy national statistician, Iain Bell – himself a boater. Based in south Wales, he Man walking along towpath by canal with autumnal coloursspends part of his time living on the Mon & Brec Canal with his partner.

“A successful census will help give the best picture of the needs of everyone living in England and Wales,” he says.

“It benefits everyone. Based on the information you give, it ensures millions of pounds are invested in emergency services, mental health care, school places, hospital beds, houses, roads, GP and dental services.

“It is therefore crucial we reach everyone in the country – from people living in London’s commuter-belt to all inner-city communities; from those living in the countryside to student populations; the elderly and all ethnic minorities. And, indeed, anyone like me, who spends time living on a waterway.

“There are some groups who are harder to reach than others, with language, living arrangements, technology and understanding of what the census is all barriers for us to overcome. My advice for liveaboards is to make sure you have a postal point if you have a mooring. For continuous cruisers, being registered with a GP or with DWP/HMRC means analysis covers you as well.

“It’s crucial you do take part. If analysis that feeds policy decisions doesn’t reflect all sections of society then there is a risk of the needs of different groups not being met. Being able to complete it online will hopefully make it easier than ever for all of us to take part around our individual schedules, and in a way that is flexible to our living Boats on the Rochdale Canal, Hebden Bridgecircumstances. We do recognise there will be some people who need paper forms or help getting online, and we have set up local census support centres to help with that.”

Census day will be on March 21, but those households with a known address, will soon receive letters with online codes explaining how they can take part. The census will include questions about your sex, age, work, health, education, household size and ethnicity. And, for the first time, there will be a question asking people whether they have served in the armed forces, as well as voluntary questions for those aged 16 and over on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Results will be available within 12 months, although personal records will be locked away for 100 years, kept safe for future generations. 

For more information and advice on how to answer the questions, visit census.gov.uk.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive just looked again and there is an actual section for people living on canal boats and mobile homes by telefone, wouldnt suprise me though if you have a problem. For instance registering to vote can be done on line but if you are homeless you have to fill a physical form in and it cannot be done online. Bloody barmy. Stupid world thinks everyone has a postcode when thousands dont and never have.

Yep I pointed that out that website said canal boats & motorhomes....and she asked for a postcode!....I said no fixed address....and I was told i had to go to a centre to fill it in! You couldn't make it up!!...Im going to try again tomorrow and see what happens

Just now, frangar said:

Yep I pointed that out that website said canal boats & motorhomes....and she asked for a postcode!....I said no fixed address....and I was told i had to go to a centre to fill it in! You couldn't make it up!!...Im going to try again tomorrow and see what happens

Bonkers isnt it. I had to fill paper forms in to vote. If I had a postcode I could have done it on line. I suppose all people with a postcode are honest upstanding members of the community and all us homeless ( by choice ) are toe rags :banghead:

29 minutes ago, frangar said:

I just tried their web chat facility and ended up with the same result as you. Asked if we could use the postcode of the nearest house to where we are currently moored, but whether this affects that house’s ability to complete theirs. I don’t know if they need a house number as well as a postcode. 

He didn’t know, but suggested trying them again in 2 days time and they would look into it in the meantime. 

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just read on Facebook someone did it with online chat  https://www.facebook.com/groups/davejellybeancanalforum/permalink/3977168142335704/

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just read on Facebook someone did it with online chat

Didn’t work for me a few minutes ago, see my post above

Edited by MHS

I’ve just tried putting in my mum’s postcode to see what came up. You have to select a house number, which I’m sure would affect her ability to complete her census. At the bottom was the option “I can’t find my address” so I clicked on that. Great, it just took me back to: “Give us a ring or use web chat”, so I’m going around in circles. 

I will try again in a few days in the hope they’ve sorted it. 

• Haha 1

Two thoughts cross my mind.

1.  Isn't it a legal requirement?

2.  If enough people don't bother the future supply of hospitals, roads, sewage etc will be a little out of kilter because as far as I know the info from the census is used for future planning knowing how many people, in what age groups, and where.

Just now, Jerra said:

Two thoughts cross my mind.

1.  Isn't it a legal requirement?

2.  If enough people don't bother the future supply of hospitals, roads, sewage etc will be a little out of kilter because as far as I know the info from the census is used for future planning knowing how many people, in what age groups, and where.

1 yes.

2 correct