The Paddle Gear Thread (formerly Cheshire Paddle Gear)

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Another couple of different paddles - this time from Hawkesbury 

First, one of the ground paddles at the lock.20220421_150430.jpg.b5b500b939be9b583d243ece7cf68681.jpg

Ground paddle at the other end.

DSCF2046.JPG

Edited by Ray T

• 1 month later...

Farmers Bridge - simple and solid. I was about to describe this as typical BCN but then I remembered that I posted gear from the Tame Valley which is also BCN but is rather different. 

20220528_090531.jpg

20220528_090537.jpg

20220528_090511.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just spotted these whiolst researching a possible (in my dreams!) trip to see some canals in the USA - Swamp Locks, Lowell National Historical Park, Lowell, Mass

It appears the spiked wheel turns cogs that in turn open a rotating valve in the gate.... I've seen the valve in the gate elsewhere, but tno this method of opening them!

Lowell-033-775x436.jpg

Lowell-033-775x436 copy.jpg

You'd have a job sticking one of those in your belt!

I'm thinking the star wheel turns a shaft with worm gear on the end, connected to the large horizontal gear. That when turned, turns the vertical shaft and another spiral gear connected to the sluice which is thereby lifted. Complicated, and vulnerable.

Ah - no - a 'rotating' paddle, Da Vinci style.

Edited by Derek R.

43 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The Conca dell' Incoranata in Milan, though they don't seem to have discovered how the paddles were operated when it was restored.

Milan 3.jpg

In theory you could operate them by holding them closed with a pin and removing the pin - if the swivel were off centre water pressure would open them. However getting them closed again before a level made would be "interesting..."