The Paddle Gear Thread (formerly Cheshire Paddle Gear)

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just spotted these whiolst researching a possible (in my dreams!) trip to see some canals in the USA - Swamp Locks, Lowell National Historical Park, Lowell, Mass

It appears the spiked wheel turns cogs that in turn open a rotating valve in the gate.... I've seen the valve in the gate elsewhere, but tno this method of opening them!

Lowell-033-775x436.jpg

Lowell-033-775x436 copy.jpg

You'd have a job sticking one of those in your belt!

I'm thinking the star wheel turns a shaft with worm gear on the end, connected to the large horizontal gear. That when turned, turns the vertical shaft and another spiral gear connected to the sluice which is thereby lifted. Complicated, and vulnerable.

Ah - no - a 'rotating' paddle, Da Vinci style.

Edited by Derek R.

43 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The Conca dell' Incoranata in Milan, though they don't seem to have discovered how the paddles were operated when it was restored.

Milan 3.jpg

In theory you could operate them by holding them closed with a pin and removing the pin - if the swivel were off centre water pressure would open them. However getting them closed again before a level made would be "interesting..."

• 7 months later...

An interesting one - bottom gates of Fairfield Top Lock on the Ashton Canal - I walked from Guide Bridge to Manchester Piccadilly along the canal today. 

Hydraulic gate gear dating from the restoration and uprights for ground paddles that are no longer used and I suspect haven't been used for many a long year.

Fairfield Locks also have a second redundant chamber alongside - they were paired at one point. The lower redundant chamber had some evidence of having once had bottom ground paddles but not of the other locks did. The evidence could have been lost in rebuilding of course. 

I'll probably do a thread on locks of the Ashton when I get a moment

P1000211.JPG

55 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

An interesting one - bottom gates of Fairfield Top Lock on the Ashton Canal - I walked from Guide Bridge to Manchester Piccadilly along the canal today. 

Hydraulic gate gear dating from the restoration and uprights for ground paddles that are no longer used and I suspect haven't been used for many a long year.

Fairfield Locks also have a second redundant chamber alongside - they were paired at one point. The lower redundant chamber had some evidence of having once had bottom ground paddles but not of the other locks did. The evidence could have been lost in rebuilding of course. 

I'll probably do a thread on locks of the Ashton when I get a moment

P1000211.JPG

I see from the stoppage list one lock has just popped it cill

One for Magpie Patrick,

A couple of years ago there was a thread on the Glamorganshire Canal, discussing the North Road bridge by Cardiff Castle and the paddle gear.

Not the best pic, but does it help?

JCO

D8BC1D48-0706-433B-998E-2F1C1C36C8DF.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2023 at 18:45, JCO said:

One for Magpie Patrick,

A couple of years ago there was a thread on the Glamorganshire Canal, discussing the North Road bridge by Cardiff Castle and the paddle gear.

Not the best pic, but does it help?

JCO

Sorry, I've only just spotted this!

I used to live in Cardiff, but it's a few years since I've been back and even more since I last saw this. I noticed the paddle gear but had never looked at it in detail. That gear is quite distinctive and doesn't seem to belong on any other canal, so it's probably from the Glamorgan Canal. I don't know of any other surviving gear to compare it with.

Thanks! :) 

• 2 months later...

Not my photos, but just to show someone can always find a different way. 

Fox River Navigation, Wisconsin - the historic navigation is in process of being restored and these photos were taken before work started on one of the locks. Three ground paddles side by side opening valves on the floor above the top gates. 

img_3_1691218308671.jpg

img_2_1691218290763.jpg

img_1_1691218246036.jpg

img_4_1691218322845.jpg

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

May have been mentioned but wwe have just done the Upper Avon and the paddle gear looks very French

ISTR that French paddle gear was acquired from VNF when the upper Avon was restored - not sure how much of it survives in France now as many locks that used it have been mechanised 

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

May have been mentioned but wwe have just done the Upper Avon and the paddle gear looks very French

Yes, you're correct, some are French, and at least one has its manufacturers plate still in place (I noticed it when we came up the Avon the day before we met you last week). Unfortunately I didn't take a photo but I think it is on one of the locks between Welford and Stratford. I think from memory there was a date on the plate which was about 1993. I was surprised about the late date as it was well after the lock was originally restored.

Edited by John Brightley

41 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Yes, you're correct, some are French, and at least one has its manufacturers plate still in place (I noticed it when we came up the Avon the day before we met you last week). Unfortunately I didn't take a photo but I think it is on one of the locks between Welford and Stratford. I think from memory there was a date on the plate which was about 1993. I was surprised about the late date as it was well after the lock was originally restored.

I wish I had looked closer now

13 hours ago, John Brightley said:

I would suspect from the Canal d'Ille et Rance, which still has wooden gates.