The Paddle Gear Thread (formerly Cheshire Paddle Gear)

Featured Posts

The only picture I know of showing a Neath Canal lock in its working days. This is the top lock at Glynneath taken from Ian Wright's book "Canals in Wales"

As far as I can see only one top ground paddle and no gate paddles

20210424_101913.jpg

20210424_101922.jpg

From the same book, some interesting gate paddle gear at Red Jacket lock, connecting the Tennant Canal to the river Neath via Red Jacket Pill

20210424_101937.jpg

20210424_102003.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And whilst I was examining Aberdulais Aqueduct (see other thread) I took a look at the gate paddles on the old lock. This lock drops from the aqueduct to a level that extends all the way to Swansea. 

Note the narrow rack with a single row of teeth. Probably hasn't been operated for 80 years... 

20210511_131944.jpg

20210511_131952.jpg

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

And returning to where this thread started. New stealth paddle gear at Marple locks...

20210514_164523.jpg

@PeterScott beat you to it.

"The new C&RT yellow bag will be the least good-value once we have to unwind them from the prop. Maybe useful to put all the other prop debris in."

Edited by David Mack

• 2 weeks later...

Exeter canal paddle gear

In order Turf lock top ground paddle, Topsham side lock, and double lock lower gate paddles

20210603_114355.jpg

These ones at Turf look like Sheffield type gear, but are mechanised.

20210603_182107.jpg

Topsham lock has been disused for many years. Elaborate reduction gearing on these top gate paddles. The gates are deep, 18 feet draught over the cill. 

Across the lock gate and ground paddles can be seen.

20210603_125607.jpg.73f562667003bee9b2505108b46e83ab.jpg

These gate paddles seem to be purpose built, as fas as I know they're hand operated, will confirm when we go through the lock in July. 

20210603_125607.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

You probably need this as a bit of background reading, from the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers. The author always reminds me of my deceased friend, Jaques de la Garde, who was a French canal enthusiast and industrial historian, who operated the first 'bateau mouche' in Paris after the war. His unfinished book on canals can be downloaded from http://www.voiesdeaudeurope.eu/lecture/tome-6/partie-1/

1845 De La Garde, Exeter Canal.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Long reach reach paddle gear on Welford reservoir central dam.

20210623_175212.jpg.3ea39aa15245e234c3b311675d42e562.jpg

20210623_175227.jpg.9b11b27af5f596ecb70bd3846065c85b.jpg

They went out of their way to make that one difficult, just think how much simpler a platform directly over the valve would have been

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They went out of their way to make that one difficult, just think how much simpler a platform directly over the valve would have been

... until the reservoir's got a bit more water in it!

12 hours ago, Iain_S said:

... until the reservoir's got a bit more water in it!

You put the platform at the same height as the present winding handle. Just need a bit longer legs. are all those joints still going to woor after they have been under water for a bit, or maybe they are deep enough so there is no oxygen and they wont corrode ?

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You put the platform at the same height as the present winding handle. Just need a bit longer legs. are all those joints still going to woor after they have been under water for a bit, or maybe they are deep enough so there is no oxygen and they wont corrode ?

Would cost a bit more, though! :cheers:

23 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Long reach reach paddle gear on Welford reservoir central dam.

20210623_175212.jpg.3ea39aa15245e234c3b311675d42e562.jpg

20210623_175227.jpg.9b11b27af5f596ecb70bd3846065c85b.jpg

Surely no-one actually designed that? There must have been a shed full of left over bits and a bored maintenance operative on a sunny afternoon

23 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Great bit of Heath Robinson isn't it.

I walked past there at 6pm and the RT workmwn where still onsite.

As this is fixed to concrete I wonder what the original as built arrangement was, the old pump house is in ruins in the trees.

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We are on the S Stratford and I am wondering if it was the National Trust who replaced the paddle gear with steel stands in place of cast?

smallDSCF5258.jpg

smallDSCF5263.jpg

The "original" was one of a number liberated from the Montgomery Canal. The modern minimalist variant was probably David Hutchings doing

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We are on the S Stratford and I am wondering if it was the National Trust who replaced the paddle gear with steel stands in place of cast?

smallDSCF5258.jpg

smallDSCF5263.jpg

I remember the fabricated ones being installed in the early/mid 70s, in National Trust days. I think they replaced wooden paddle gear which (presumably) dated from before the restoration and which Hutch left in place.

Not strictly related to the paddle gear, but I went through Gas No.1 lock on the Grand Union in Berkhamsted a couple of weeks ago and it had brand new top gates. The interesting thing was that no baffles had been fitted to the gate paddle sluices; the difference in water ferocity was noticeable compared to the others which had grilles over them and the lock filled up quicker.