Narrowboat B&B

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

didn’t spot one, but to be fair we did watch half of it on x6 fast forward as the wife became annoyed by Bergerac’s narrating so it may have blipped past.

You can just see the front of the toilet in the photo, on the website, looking towards the bathroom.

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

Reading this, I've just realised that we didn't see an engine. It didn't look like a butty stern. I don't know if 'Romford' started life as a motor or a butty.

It started life as a butty.

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/romford

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

Reading this, I've just realised that we didn't see an engine. It didn't look like a butty stern. I don't know if 'Romford' started life as a motor or a butty.

The plan of the boat that the 'craftsman' was drawing showed an engine at the stern.

Just now, Dorlan said:

The plan of the boat that the 'craftsman' was drawing showed an engine at the stern.

Ah THAT's how they heat the bath water - the tub is over the engine!

Just now, haggis said:

if she is doing airNB bed and breakfast, where do her and her  daughter sleep to enable her to make the breakfast. perhaps she has another boat

I don't think there was ever any mention of their having lived on it. I suppose they've got one of those house thingies. 

We have stayed in at least one b&b where the breakfast ingredients were provided but we had to cook the bacon and egg ourselves.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

We have stayed in at least one b&b where the breakfast ingredients were provided but we had to cook the bacon and egg ourselves.

get with the times Athy lad, that's what is commonly known as a "deconstructed breakfast", it's all the rage nowadays, i blame Heston Notsobloomin'tall ;) 

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

get with the times Athy lad, that's what is commonly known as a "deconstructed breakfast", it's all the rage nowadays, i blame Heston Notsobloomin'tall ;) 

Have you ever tried cooking bacon and egg icecream?

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah THAT's how they heat the bath water - the tub is over the engine!

I don't think there was ever any mention of their having lived on it. I suppose they've got one of those house thingies. 

(a) “Bed and breakfast” means property classified as residential real property under section 34c that meets all of the following criteria:

(i) Has 10 or fewer sleeping rooms, including sleeping rooms occupied by the owner of the property, 1 or more of which are available for rent to transient tenants.

(ii) Serves meals at no extra cost to its transient tenants.

Doesn't say the food has to be cooked for you ?

But it does say that the owner has to be sleeping there too -- which surely means that the boat can't be advertised as a "B&B"?

I wonder if the reason is that otherwise it's classified as rooms for rent, which means there are different and more onerous regulations for things like safety?

Edited by IanD

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

(a) “Bed and breakfast” means property classified as residential real property under section 34c that meets all of the following criteria:

(i) Has 10 or fewer sleeping rooms, including sleeping rooms occupied by the owner of the property, 1 or more of which are available for rent to transient tenants.

(ii) Serves meals at no extra cost to its transient tenants.

Doesn't say the food has to be cooked for you ?

But it does say that the owner has to be sleeping there too -- which surely means that the boat can't be advertised as a "B&B"?

i think AirBnB operate differently to your traditional B&B setup, don't you usually get the entire property to yourself?

4 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i think AirBnB operate differently to your traditional B&B setup, don't you usually get the entire property to yourself?

Yes they do. Whether calling the result a "B&B" (and presumably following B&B rules) is legal in the UK is another question entirely... ?

Edited by IanD

Its available from June 1st, according to the Airbnb  site.  I hope the "experience" doesn't turn takers away from the canals for ever. Its horrendously expensive, I do hope it fails miserably as soon as possible. 

30 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The two I have used you didn't

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its available from June 1st, according to the Airbnb  site.  I hope the "experience" doesn't turn takers away from the canals for ever. Its horrendously expensive, I do hope it fails miserably as soon as possible. 

I wonder if C&RT have checked her paperwork and business plan etc

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Must be working it with another boat - no sign of any cooking facilities or fire extinguishers - might be quite easy to get a bss then with only solid fuel stove, no gas etc.

Not a commercial BSS - thats way more complicated with minimum number of fire extinguishers, minimum heights of hull fittings (above the water line), compulsory ventilation, Landlords gas and electrical certificates etc etc etc,

The 2002 Issue of the BSS is the one applied to commercial boats,

If it is being classified as a 'hire boat' there are anumber of additions added in 2017, which include such things as compulsory anti-slip surfaces, revised downflooding angles etc etc

Few NB's that have been private boats can meet the commercial requirements without serious modifications,

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is being classified as a 'hire boat' there are anumber of additions added in 2017, which include such things as compulsory anti-slip surfaces, revised downflooding angles etc etc

If you just sub let part of the boat (a room) can you get away without a hire boat bss? I for one don't know the answer to that one.

1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

If you just sub let part of the boat (a room) can you get away without a hire boat bss? I for one don't know the answer to that one.

I don't know either, BUT, I'd suggest that if you accept money, in return for services it becomes a commercial transaction and would require all of the commercial 'things' (Licence, BSS, Insurance etc)

It'd certainly be easier to argue it did apply than it didn't.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Romford is one of the 24 butties built for FMC by Braithwaite and Kirk of West Bromwich between 1912 and 1914.

Romford currently (or at least recently) sports a motor stern.

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/romford

Well I watched it last night, flicking back and forth and I thing the boat was moored on the off side near the aqueduct, just to the east of it. But they obviously moved it around a lot because for half the shots the window you saw the no mooring from was actually the outside and not bank side. I think that bit of mooring is actually private mooring where a couple of hire boats use to run from. Like you I was impressed with the chain fixing, not even a nut and washer each side, just the two lock nuts on the top as for the craftmaship of the porthole covers? I am sure she will get bookings, a bloke in the next but one village rents a helicopter out and has a site toilet beside it. Lots of people will think it quirky and want the experience