Garden Mooring

Featured Posts

We would like to moor a boat at the end of our garden on the river severn in Shrewbury . Our postcode is SY 11pf

How do we go about getting permission to do this? What are we not allowed allowed to do in terms of having a boat moored at the end of our garden? Presume have to get a license and someone will decide if our location is suitable then I suppose we will have to pay somebody but I don’t know any more ! Any advice very gratefully received

For the majority of rivers the owner of the bank and adjacent land (your house & garden ?) will have rights over the ground under the river up to the centre line.

It should be listed in your house deeds if you have 'riparian rights' so speak with your solicitor or whoever is holding your deeds.

You may require approval from the EA as they are concerned about flooding aspects and any effect on river flow that your boat or any structures may make.

You may require approval from the Navigation authority.

It can be quite a complex situation but first find out if you own the river bed.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

From memory of a day visit to the town so may be wrong. Above or below the weir. If below the bottom may be too near the top, especially in the summer. Whichever there will be a very limited length of navigable river for anything much more than a canoe.

I doubt there is a public right of navigation so other riverside landowners may take exception to navigating over their land. This needs checking with the council and EA for a start.

If you go ahead the mooring arrangements will need to be designed to hold the boat against flood flow and tree branches hitting it while allowing it to rise and fall with the river level. As I seem to recall the river is in a bit of a gorge this could be ten feet or more most years. Check the EA records.

At least on rivers you, the riparian owner, face less hurdles permission wise than those bordering canals. I very much doubt a licence or BSS will be required.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt there is a public right of navigation so other riverside landowners may take exception to navigating over their land. This needs checking with the council and EA for a start.

There is a historic right to navigation up as far as Welshpool, , according to the EA, so land owners can't object to your passing, only to you landing.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

17 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There is a historic right to navigation up as far as Welshpool, , according to the EA, so land owners can't object to your passing, only to you landing.

Jen

That's good then, it's just the practicality of navigation that seem to be now in question.