Calor gas changing

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is a down side of Shared Ownership. We use to collect massive amounts of cleaning materials that one day all just went in the bin. 

You found the spanner, where was it?

In the knife draw.?

Its just life on a boat innit. Its like standing on the boat roof in the pouring rain  adjusting the sat dish in the middle of France 'cos someone wants to watch the stupid tennis. I hate stupid tennis but I quite like having my tea cooked and not given to the dog.

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

>> The more nuts and bolts you've wielded spanners on in your life, the weirder and more wrong left handed gas threads feel as they go completely against muscle memory. <<

That's why when I have to use a gas spanner, I hold it in my left hand. Despite being right-handed I often undo screws left-handed as it seems a more natural wrist action. 

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

this is the joy of shared ownership, some owners just don't like change "it's been perfectly fine for 20years, why should we change now?"

also, if it was done by one of the other owners, they can take it as a personal attack when you suggest changing it.

one of the many reasons we continue to look for our own boat....

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is a down side of Shared Ownership. We use to collect massive amounts of cleaning materials that one day all just went in the bin. 

Yes, these were familiar problems on our shareboat too. Why on earth would anyone put cutlery into a drawer with three divisions other than left-to-right: knives, forks, spoons? Left-handedness is no excuse, as even cack-handers read English from left to right.

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes, these were familiar problems on our shareboat too. Why on earth would anyone put cutlery into a drawer with three divisions other than left-to-right: knives, forks, spoons? Left-handedness is no excuse, as even cack-handers read English from left to right.

Why are knives to the left of forks in cutlery draws, yet to the right in a place setting? 79% or so of people are right handed, so the place setting with knives to the right makes sense as this is the eating iron that needs the most control. I wouldn't even consider stocking a cutlery draw any other way, but I can't think of any reason why most people do it like that. May parents and grandparents stored them knives | forks | spoons too.

Jen

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The more nuts and bolts you've wielded spanners on in your life, the weirder and more wrong left handed gas threads feel as they go completely against muscle memory.

Stand at the opposite side of the gas bottle from the thread ...

On 03/03/2021 at 22:10, LadyG said:

OK,  as normal, just warmed up oven to have roast duck.

Ran out of propane, it's dark, it's damp, and after twenty minutes upside down, I'm in a bit of a grump.

I remember it seemed to me to require me to tighten to a fairly extreme tightness to connect up, and now it's not undoing.

I'm 95 percent sure I'm doing it the correct way as I've checked using the black plastic plug in the new cylinder, I assume I turn the brass nut the same way as the black plug when removing the black plug, I think that is clockwise facing the centre of the bottle, which would be 'tightening' a standsrd nut on a standard thread, which I think Calor is not.

I can't find a calor key,using a big adjustable spanner and a small hammer,  but it's not for shifting, I might be able to borrow a gas key, it's very difficult to access due to collar on the gas bottle, and if I persevere the nut will end up 'rounded off'.

It might be easier in daylight. 

UPDATE :( kettle on for a cuppa, gas ran out, 11kg lost in under a week, fgs!

So, by dint of about two hours on the phone, I managed to get the phone number of the North Wheatley Post Office and amazingly a phone call an hour later advised me that I could have my gas delivered immediately, which I did, luckily I just had enough, cash to cover the cost, as 'the men' don't have a card reader with them.

I had my cup of tea and turned it off overnight. I think a new controller is required, but there are at least twenty styles to choose from, and I think the standard spanner is 30mm, while the propane standard nut is 28mm. I will telephone the experts tomorrow, not Calor, as they don't have any way of accepting new customers, due to......? 

Does your boat only have one gas bottle? That was a lot of gas to.use in a week. Do you use gas  for anything other than cooking? 

I must admit I am not keen on auto changeover valves  because of the risk of ending up with two empty bottles and I have what I consider an ideal arrangement on my  caravan. Both bottles have a regulator and if one runs out all i have to do.is flick a 

couple of switches to close one cylinder  and open the other. A two second job.

Until it was mentioned I hadn't realised that the usual way to.store cutlery is knives, forks then spoons. I have always done that without thinking  and I wonder why we all do it that way. 

Haggis

Edited by haggis

Whatever system you decide on, when you get the correct spanner, also purchase an aerosol of leak detecting spray, and after changing a bottle, spray the connection to ensure you have a sound connection. I always use a piece of pan scourer to clean up the bull nose in case of any contamination it may have picked up. A loose/contaminated  connection can soon empty a bottle.

On 04/03/2021 at 15:37, Machpoint005 said:

No,left to right Spoons, forks, knives. (right handed) Logic being that I hold forks in my left hand and knives in my right.  

34 minutes ago, haggis said:

Does your boat only have one gas bottle? That was a lot of gas to.use in a week. Do you use gas  for anything other than cooking? 

I must admit I am not keen on auto changeover valves  because of the risk of ending up with two empty bottles and I have what I consider an ideal arrangement on my  caravan. Both bottles have a regulator and if one runs out all i have to do.is flick a 

couple of switches to close one cylinder  and open the other. A two second job.

Until it was mentioned I hadn't realised that the usual way to.store cutlery is knives, forks then spoons. I have always done that without thinking  and I wonder why we all do it that way. 

Haggis

No Haggis, it leaked! I suspect the controller fits the Calor bottle, but the flogas is not so precise, as I had not replaced the empty Calor, and the full  Flogas emptied itself, I ended up with two empties. 

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Whatever system you decide on, when you get the correct spanner, also purchase an aerosol of leak detecting spray, and after changing a bottle, spray the connection to ensure you have a sound connection. I always use a piece of pan scourer to clean up the bull nose in case of any contamination it may have picked up. A loose/contaminated  connection can soon empty a bottle.

I have the bottle of leak detecting fluid tx,  but as I had never used it before, I expected one big Fairy liquid type bubble, but got a sort of mini fizzynes, which I put down to normal.

Tonight, using the Calor Gas cylinder, it did not get tightened up to  extremely tight, the thing went on fairly easily compared to last weeks efforts, where I used a bit of green oil to get it fitted.the same regulator went on to the Calor  fairly easily, and no bubbles of any sort. 

Re pan scrubber, is that the green Scotch right, I felt the thread of the regulator was reluctant to go in to the threaded connection on the gas bottle, but I was still upside down and being rained on. 

I worked with  Gaz for years and had no problems, there is only one connector / regulator, only one propane. 

Edited by LadyG

53 minutes ago, Slim said:

No,left to right Spoons, forks, knives. (right handed) Logic being that I hold forks in my left hand and knives in my right.  

Forks, spoons, knives. That is how one lays the table, so surely that is how it should be in the drawer?

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Forks, spoons, knives. That is how one lays the table, so surely that is how it should be in the drawer?

Yes. But for some reason, knife, fork spoons (L -R) seems correct when in the drawer. There must be an explanation?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

No Haggis, it leaked! I suspect the controller fits the Calor bottle, but the flogas is not so precise, as I had not replaced the empty Calor, and the full  Flogas emptied itself, I ended up with two empties. 

Ah, I understand.  the regulators for calor gas  and flo gas are  different  so that is probably why you lost the gas. I use Flo gas in my caravan and I remember having to change the regulator and I found that I not only needed a different one from calor but  I had to get the right one for the size and type of flo gas I was using. 

Haggis

Edited by haggis

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So, you don't have a small knife on the side plate to butter your bread? Heathen! 

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, I understand. I think the regulators for calor gas  and flo gas need different regulators so that is probably why you lost the gas. I use Flo gas in my caravan and I remember having to change the regulator and I found that I not only needed a different one from calor but  I had to get the right one for the size and type of flo gas I was using. 

Haggis

Tx, I had no idea, makes sense, in one way, but I see Huddersfield Gas sells 'universal' regulators. I'll talk to them tomorrow. 

There are several regulators for different gases and different bottle sizes, possibly for safety reasons, possibly to maintain Calor Supremacy. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, I understand. I think the regulators for calor gas  and flo gas need different regulators so that is probably why you lost the gas. I use Flo gas in my caravan and I remember having to change the regulator and I found that I not only needed a different one from calor but  I had to get the right one for the size and type of flo gas I was using. 

Haggis

Im pretty sure the screw in regulator for flogas propane is the same as calor propane.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Just don't come round our house, some are handle first some are handle to the front, large knives and folks and small ones, dont mention the spoons

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im pretty sure the screw in regulator for flogas propane is the same as calor propane.

I use the 7. Kg cylinders in my caravan and had to change the regulator on the next van ( which had had a calor cylinder) I bought as I wanted to keep using Flo gas. Perhaps the regulators are the same for bigger cylinders but from what Lady G said about having difficulty attaching the regulator to the Flo gas cylinder and when tested, gas leaking fast, I thought the regulator connections were different

Haggis

24 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes, I can see the logic in that, better than mine but for me it's too late to change my habits.