Calor gas changing

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

My last examiner was perfectly happy with my anchor and chain in the gas locker providing it was secured with  no chance of damage to the bottles or gas fittings.

That is (mostly) what the actual BSS requirement says.  There's a lot of made up stuff people think is true on here as we know.

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG? R

Check the contents of all cylinder lockers.

Cylinder lockers must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components.

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG.

also relevant is

7.3.3 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could block the drain? R

Check cylinder lockers for any items which could block the drain.

Cylinder lockers must be clear of any item which could block the drain.

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which just goes to prove the vagaries of the scheme or the ficklness of examiners, or both.

and of course the gas cylinder has to be removed from the locker whilst remaining connected.

Additional advice on preparation after 1 January 2013:

In addition to the advice on the page called Preparing for examination, we have the additional advice arising from the changes introduced in January 2013 for examinations on privately-owned, privately-managed boats:

LPG cylinder lockers - boat owners must ensure the BSS Examiner can carry out careful checking of the LPG cylinder locker for condition, including the removal of all loose portable items, base protection mats, removable false floors and the temporary removal of connected LPG cylinders.

The more she posts the less I believe anything she posts.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That is (mostly) what the actual BSS requirement says.  There's a lot of made up stuff people think is true on here as we know.

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG? R

Check the contents of all cylinder lockers.

Cylinder lockers must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components.

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG.

also relevant is

7.3.3 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could block the drain? R

Check cylinder lockers for any items which could block the drain.

Cylinder lockers must be clear of any item which could block the drain.

I'm not sure something is 'made up on here' if a boater has actually been told by a BSC inspector that the locker must only contain the bottles the regulator and nothing else (secured or not). That is just reporting here what they are told. Not me I hasten to add as our locker was kept free of other stuff anyway but I certainly know of at least one boater who was told this.

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm not sure something is 'made up on here' if a boater has actually been told by a BSC inspector that the locker must only contain the bottles the regulator and nothing else (secured or not)

That's why I didn't write that ...

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I do know how to change a gas bottle it's fairly obvious, but I managed to avoid Calor used much  simpler Camping Gas,  though it did sulk below 5C. Proper round the world folks have a Taylor diesel cooker, and no doubt Origo one pot as a back up. 

It also depends where the boat is built, and what space is available, main thing is availability, and cost, I used to get a season's fuel, oil, and gas from an agricultural supplier, about half the price of a marina. Bargain of the year was diesel from a scallop fisherman@11p a litre, that was a few years ago! 

Whooosh! 

2 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I've yet to see any gas cylinder that can be removed from the locker whilst still connected. 

That was what I said to the BSS when it was introduced. The rule was bought in because disconnecting a gas cylinder would fall under the GSIUR** regulations and cannot be done by a BSS examiner unless he was Gas safe registered. They decided that the easiest way was to  make the 'rule' that the cylinder had to be capable of being lifted from the locker whilst connected, or the Examiner was Gas Safe registered, or, the owner was on board and would disconnect and reconnect the cylinder.

I pointed out that the conditions state that you cannot use a hose in excess of 1mt length (on the HP side) but that was sort of glossed over.

** for liveaboards.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I was told to keep all my inflammables, petrol, oil, thinners, white spirit, paint in the gas locker.

I understand the restriction is related to sources of ignition, not flammables - sources could include the possibility of a spark from steel to steel contact.

Edited by Murflynn

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was what I said to the BSS when it was introduced. The rule was bought in because disconnecting a gas cylinder would fall under the GSIUR** regulations and cannot be done by a BSS examiner unless he was Gas safe registered. They decided that the easiest way was to  make the 'rule' that the cylinder had to be capable of being lifted from the locker whilst connected, or the Examiner was Gas Safe registered, or, the owner was on board and would disconnect and reconnect the cylinder.

I pointed out that the conditions state that you cannot use a hose in excess of 1mt length (on the HP side) but that was sort of glossed over.

** for liveaboards.

There is a questioner coming out on the BSS next week for boaters 

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Which just goes to prove the vagaries of the scheme or the ficklness of examiners, or both.

My examiner tried to fail my BSS because the locker contained a wooden bracket whose sole purpose was to restrain the bottle and prevent it from moving or striking the changeover valve. The cure was simple - I got a new examiner.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

My examiner tried to fail my BSS because the locker contained a wooden bracket whose sole purpose was to restrain the bottle and prevent it from moving or striking the changeover valve. The cure was simple - I got a new examiner.

Did you consider fitting him with a wooden bracket...? ;)

• Haha 1