Calor gas changing

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't rely on one of those, you cannot get them tight enought to qualify as 'nipped up'.

We had them on the beer gasses (60/40, CO2 etc) and if you did manage to get them tight you couldn't get enough grip to loosed them.

The plastic 'hand-nut' allows you to hand tighten, then slide the nut off and finish with a spanner - reverse the process for removal.

I have the gas low ones with a built in gauge. They have a nitrile cone on the nose of the fitting. They work really well! I’ve just replaced the nitrile cones after about 8 years of use just as a precaution but on comparing the old to the new there was little wear or degradation. 

They are great on my installation with 4 bottles as the two outer bottles used to be a faf with a spanner. 

40 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

...................................  you really couldn't make it up

Someone has !

Most marketing people know that John Wanamaker (1838-1922), department-store magnate, once said, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is, I don't know which half.”

On 04/03/2021 at 12:43, ditchcrawler said:

You found the spanner, where was it?

I borrowed a spanner, twice now, as the first attempt leaked 11kg Flogas over four days.

I seem to remember the first time someone changed a bottle for me, I found a leak, so I think the controller is past it's sell by date.

Anyways,  I 've gathered a bit more info on the Calor systom, and can name drop POL the next time the opportunity arises.

Not only have I gathered information, but more importantly we all know a bit more today than we did yesterday. :)

Edited by LadyG

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I borrowed a spanner, twice now, as the first attempt leaked 11kg Flogas over four days.

I seem to remember the first time someone changed a bottle for me, I found a leak, so I think the controller is past it's sell by date.

Anyways,  I 've gathered a bit more info on the Calor systom, and can name drop POL the next time the opportunity arises.

Not only have I gathered information, but more importantly we all know a bit more today than we did yesterday. :)

always blame the Controller   :banghead:

is her ladyship's boat called Thomas?

15 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

How often do you hold a spoon in your left hand?

I do it all the time as I am left handed.

I use the knife and fork conventionally, unlike my wife (also left handed), who uses the fork in her right hand, much to the chagrin of waiters, who feel compelled to put the eating irons in their "correct" order again.

I have never understood why right handed people don't use the fork in their right hand, because surely getting the food into a hole on the front of your face, which you cannot see, requires a higher level of dexterity than cutting food on a plate which you can see?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Did you not smell it? Dumping 11kg overboard makes a horrible stink. Or are you in the throws of covid?

49 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Origo stove?

I do know how to change a gas bottle it's fairly obvious, but I managed to avoid Calor used much  simpler Camping Gas,  though it did sulk below 5C. Proper round the world folks have a Taylor diesel cooker, and no doubt Origo one pot as a back up. 

It also depends where the boat is built, and what space is available, main thing is availability, and cost, I used to get a season's fuel, oil, and gas from an agricultural supplier, about half the price of a marina. Bargain of the year was diesel from a scallop fisherman@11p a litre, that was a few years ago! 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Did you not smell it? Dumping 11kg overboard makes a horrible stink. Or are you in the throws of covid?

It lasted five days, and there was a gale going on, I ve put the same regulator back on the new cylinder, it seemed to be easier to fit this time, but it looks exactly the same, so I'll have to turn it off overnight, I certainly can't smell anything, and I could smell the empty one, when I opened the valve, in the open air, so no anosmia :) 

I did think about blocking the drain holes to collect any gas, but decided that was a kinda mad idea! 

I might try capturing the smell in a polybag as a test, the new cylinder was nigh on £40 delivered. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I am only left handed when I am using a knife and a fork.. I use my right hand of I am only using one item. Not left handed with anything else

Haggis

Cricket is the only thing I do right handed, I just could not cope with hockey sticks, it's an abominal discrimination, and should be banned. 

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It lasted five days, and there was a gale going on, I ve put the same regulator back on the new cylinder, it seemed to be easier to fit this time, but it looks exactly the same, so I'll have to turn it off overnight, I certainly can't smell anything, and I could smell the empty one, when I opened the valve, in the open air, so no anosmia :) 

I did think about blocking the drain holes to collect any gas, but decided that was a kinda mad idea! 

I might try capturing the smell in a polybag as a test, the new cylinder was nigh on £40 delivered. 

What! £40!  For only  11kg! 

I would challenge them as to whether it was ever full.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Good point, I have known them not to be full on delivery and the valve be open, just the blank holding the gas back

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Good point, I have known them not to be full on delivery and the valve be open, just the blank holding the gas back

We had a marina owner who used to put 3 full 13kg bottles on the hire boats, the part used ones seemed to get sold to his moorers until I weighed a few and spilt the beans.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, 11kg of flogas, costs £33, but 13 kg of Calor. £38.50.

I can tell you both were full, as I struggle with them, the anchor just fits in, plus chain plus warp, I ended up having to move the anchor, there is still plenty of access to gas drain holes. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No, 11kg of flogas, costs £33, but 13 kg of Calor. 

I can tell you both were full, as I struggle with them, the anchor just fits in, plus chain plus warp

Did you put that bit in deliberately just so somebody would point out you shouldn't be doing it??

Oh hang on you can't read my posts can you?

47 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Did you put that bit in deliberately just so somebody would point out you shouldn't be doing it??

Yes I did, and yes I can when it suits. 

Some folks on here would fall into a manhole that had no cover. :)

Edited by LadyG

46 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My last examiner was perfectly happy with my anchor and chain in the gas locker providing it was secured with  no chance of damage to the bottles or gas fittings.

Just now, Thomas C King said:

Quick question... is it allowed to keep petrol in the gas locker (in jerry cans, obviously)?

I was told to keep all my inflammables, petrol, oil, thinners, white spirit, paint in the gas locker.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

My last examiner was perfectly happy with my anchor and chain in the gas locker providing it was secured with  no chance of damage to the bottles or gas fittings.

My examiner wanted everthing out so he could examine the locker, I did that before he came. There was nothing  to see, the bottles were chained so they could not move, that seems sensible, he also noted the hole drilled through in to the welldeck, where someone had fitted an electric cable! NOT trunked, and below the level of the gas regulators ! 

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Which just goes to prove the vagaries of the scheme or the ficklness of examiners, or both.