Calor gas changing

Featured Posts

OK,  as normal, just warmed up oven to have roast duck.

Ran out of propane, it's dark, it's damp, and after twenty minutes upside down, I'm in a bit of a grump.

I remember it seemed to me to require me to tighten to a fairly extreme tightness to connect up, and now it's not undoing.

I'm 95 percent sure I'm doing it the correct way as I've checked using the black plastic plug in the new cylinder, I assume I turn the brass nut the same way as the black plug when removing the black plug, I think that is clockwise facing the centre of the bottle, which would be 'tightening' a standsrd nut on a standard thread, which I think Calor is not.

I can't find a calor key,using a big adjustable spanner and a small hammer,  but it's not for shifting, I might be able to borrow a gas key, it's very difficult to access due to collar on the gas bottle, and if I persevere the nut will end up 'rounded off'.

It might be easier in daylight. 

• Greenie 1

Yes propane has a reverse (left hand) thread, so as you say, clockwise when looking towards the connection from the hose side. As if you were tightening up a normal thread.

This is why we have an auto-changeover. As long as you remember to check the red flag on the changeover knob once in a while, you never run out of gas at an inconvenient moment. Well I will admit that we did once run out on both cylinders but that was because “someone” (not me) fitted a new cylinder but didn’t rotate the changeover knob.

Edited by nicknorman

Sleep well.   If when you are using the cooker you get a whiff of gas even though its lit, it is a sure sign that the bottle is empty in the next 2 minutes.

Why not buy the right spanner?

They are left hand threads, the notches on the nut signify so.

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The correct spanner will not round the flats an adjustable will

I'm sure that somewhere, I have seen a gas spanner, that is why I've never bought one. Using my own 'system' it should be in the gas locker, on a loop of string, but it's not and never has been.

Strangely enough, previously, I've only once had to change my own gas cylinder, someone has always volunteered to do it.

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ran out of propane, it's dark, it's damp, and after twenty minutes upside down, I'm in a bit of a grump.

It really is worth investing in an automatic change over, it does what it says it does and all you need to do is check for the 'red-flag' when doing your daily checks, if its changed over you have 'weeks' of notice to get a new one and remove the empty. There is no excuse to ever run out.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Using my own 'system' it should be in the gas locker, on a loop of string,

Best not keep it like that it would be a BSSC fail as it can swing about, hit the cylinder, cause a spark and KA-BOOOOOM.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It really is worth investing in an automatic change over, it does what it says it does and all you need to do is check for the 'red-flag' when doing your daily checks, if its changed over you have 'weeks' of notice to get a new one and remove the empty. There is no excuse to ever run out.

Or even a manual change over where you just have to switch from one to the other when it runs out

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats a fair point, unless the gas goes when you are in the shower, covered in bubbles and need to 'go-out the back' to switch the gas over.

Eventually a would stop checking the flag and end up with two empty ones

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

This is why we have an auto-changeover. As long as you remember to check the red flag on the changeover knob once in a while, you never run out of gas at an inconvenient moment. 

I prefer a manual changeover because there's no need to check anything, but the point is to fit a changeover valve of some description so that you're not outside messing about with spanners changing bottles in the dark or the rain.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Eventually a would stop checking the flag and end up with two empty ones

Me too. I have a manual changeover for the same reason I have separate charger and inverter. I want to know when my mains bollard trips and don't want my inverter coming on automatically, and I want to know when one gas bottle runs out and switch over myself. I like to be in control of these things.

Edited by blackrose

I only use gas for cooking, so the trip to the gas locker in the dark, wind and rain only needs doing every four months or so. When the gas runs out then of course it will be dark, windy and raining. That's the rules. If I used it for heating water, then I might consider an auto changeover as the prospect of it running out in the middle of a shower is grim! I accept the occasional "why isn't my tea cooking" with the current system.

The more nuts and bolts you've wielded spanners on in your life, the weirder and more wrong left handed gas threads feel as they go completely against muscle memory. I keep the gas spanner on a magnet in the kitchen in amongst a row of kitchen knives for easy access.

Jen

• Greenie 1

interesting, our gas spanner is on a length of cord in the gas locker and as far as i know always has been, certainly for the last two BSS its had whilst we’ve been part owners.

perhaps its because the cord is so long that the spanner can lay flat on the locker floor?

or maybe as the cord is so long no inspector has spotted it?

28 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Spanner go lusty rying on the froor

this is the joy of shared ownership, some owners just don't like change "it's been perfectly fine for 20years, why should we change now?"

also, if it was done by one of the other owners, they can take it as a personal attack when you suggest changing it.

one of the many reasons we continue to look for our own boat....

The place for the gas spanner is on the bottle in use, mine has a dobber magnet on it. It is then always where you use it.

Incidentally, working left hand threads I find easier with my non dominant hand, anyone else find that?

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They inject the Covid vaccine into your non dominant arm. If they made a mistake and injected the German Pfizer BioTech vaccine into your dominant arm, the world could be your oyster.

Had no trouble with the Pfizer jab, nein, Ich bin OK.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

this is the joy of shared ownership, some owners just don't like change "it's been perfectly fine for 20years, why should we change now?"

also, if it was done by one of the other owners, they can take it as a personal attack when you suggest changing it.

one of the many reasons we continue to look for our own boat....

That is a down side of Shared Ownership. We use to collect massive amounts of cleaning materials that one day all just went in the bin. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

All sorted now, tx.

You found the spanner, where was it?