Lost Basins in Towns & Cities

Heartland

Featured Posts

It was not uncommon to find that basins were built in cities and towns for the canal trade and these basins have been filled in again and lost. In Birmingham there were several two of which were near Broad Street and extended past Gas Street and Granville Street.

In Liverpool there were several branches that diverged near the terminus serving coal yards, One such branch off the Leeds and Liverpool Canal ended across the road from the docks, but evidently did not join up with the docks.

The 1844 map shows the branches as they then were.

Liverpool1.jpg

Oxford Canal Basin, now a car park, or it was when I last looked on Google Earth. 108023018_OxfordCanalBasin.JPG.e01ac385d5df57ad5e6e9995da10b9e8.JPG l53642846_OxfordWharf1838.jpg.f6146ed8949ade1c0db0f907442a5bb6.jpg

Oxford Basin.jpg

Filled Basin.jpg

Had Coventry City town planners got their way in the late 1950's to late 1960's Coventry Basin would have been lost as well.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

It was not uncommon to find that basins were built in cities and towns for the canal trade and these basins have been filled in again and lost. In Birmingham there were several two of which were near Broad Street and extended past Gas Street and Granville Street.

In Liverpool there were several branches that diverged near the terminus serving coal yards, One such branch off the Leeds and Liverpool Canal ended across the road from the docks, but evidently did not join up with the docks.

The 1844 map shows the branches as they then were.

Liverpool1.jpg

The coal basin at far right was Clark’s Basin, and this building at the entrance just about survives incongruously outside a new hotel - there was a big fuss about 20 years ago when demolition was proposed. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:JD_Clarkes_Basin.jpg

There were quite a few between Uxbridge and Hayes, some left traces and others you would never know existed. About 150 yards south of the Swan and bottle there are a couple of blue covers in the piling offside that mark the end of an arm that led to Fountains mill.

59 minutes ago, Athy said:

What well-drilled Canada geese.

Where is it?

It's the old gas basin opposite Kensal Green cemetery, beside where Sainsbury's is now.

The tinyurl takes you there. Photos taken just before Christmas 1992.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

It's the old gas basin opposite Kensal Green cemetery, beside where Sainsbury's is now.

There was a similar wharf by the old Courage brewery in Greenford, i don't know if it is still there but was part of a derelict site last i saw circa 2008.

On 04/03/2021 at 14:21, Manxcat said:

Cinema, Shops and a block of flats where Port Hopetoun, the western end of the (Scottish) Union Canal.

(snip)

https://www.lothianhouse.org/index.asp?pageid=711778

Eastern end!

All the basins are filled in now. Lochrin Basin briefly saw the light of day a couple of years ago, before being covered by student flats.

Edinburgh basins1.JPG

I offer the Bradford Colliery Branch of the Ashton Canal, this joined the main line of the canal between locks 6 & 7. I reckon it qualifies for inclusion in this thread as the terminal basin  now lies  under the Manchester CITY  (aka Etihad) football stadium?

The last use of the branch was to take away  water from the mine, closed completely in 1969.

Between Hayes and West Drayton I found this lost canal arm. Amazingly some of it is still in water having been trapped in between some new factories. And further on the line of the houses follows what was the canal where the dry bed is still clearly visible. This short arm ran to a brick works. 

image.jpeg

On 04/03/2021 at 10:51, Derek R. said:

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Being a pupil Chartered Gas Engineer in Central London and its outskirts, I used to visit and work in Kensal Green gas yard. It was my base office for 2 years. Some of my colleagues used to fish in the basin. As I left, the plot was sold off to Sainsburys.

Edited by mark99