I need a new fresh water pump ?‍♂️

Featured Posts

I’m in need of a new fresh water pump and I’m unsure on wether to go for the shurflo aqua king 2 11.4lpm or the jabsco Parmax 2.9, a lot of people i’ve spoken to say shurflo went down the drain many moons ago although no one has tried the new 4 chamber ones ?‍♂️. I’ve also been told the jabsco 2.9 is no good for live aboards and I’ll need the jabsco 4 but the price difference is horrendous. It’ll be replacing a shurflo that came with the boat when I bought it, we live aboard and have galley taps, taps in the bathroom and a shower if that makes any difference to the pressure needed of lpm . It doesn’t matter about a straight swop so I’m not bothered about using a shurflo for that reason. Current pump pic below. Can anybody shine some light on the subject.
Ta

4E2B6362-6D57-4A5A-B7CC-4C519A7879BC.jpeg

The general feeling is that Surflo have lost some quality control so may be less reliable. I suspect most would go Jabsco or possibly Whale. The switches in all these sorts of pumps tend to be short-lived so if your fault is just not switching properly a remote switch may be a far longer loved and more reliable option.

As long as the maximum pressure is maybe 10-psi less than the PRV on the calorifier (if you have one) the pressure is not important unless you like a power shower. The flow rate is only important in that the lower the flow rate the less water flows from the outlet and at less pressure. If you have an instant gas water heater that is working well try to get a pump as close to the LPM and PSI of the current one as possible, a lower rated one may not turn the burner on..

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The general feeling is that Surflo have lost some quality control so may be less reliable. I suspect most would go Jabsco or possibly Whale. The switches in all these sorts of pumps tend to be short-lived so if your fault is just not switching properly a remote switch may be a far longer loved and more reliable option.

As long as the maximum pressure is maybe 10-psi less than the PRV on the calorifier (if you have one) the pressure is not important unless you like a power shower. The flow rate is only important in that the lower the flow rate the less water flows from the outlet and at less pressure. If you have an instant gas water heater that is working well try to get a pump as close to the LPM and PSI of the current one as possible, a lower rated one may not turn the burner on..

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That’s pretty much what I’ve heard so I think I’ll probably avoid those ones then, I heard the whale fresh water pumps are real real loud which isn’t what I want really. I’ve got a calorifier heated via a webasto thermo top c, I’d rather a relative amount of water tbh I don’t want it like a jet but also hate showering when it just trickles out. I believe there’s a prv on top of the cylinder and in the central heating system ? I know the current 30 psi pump is fine bar the leaking. Have you heard much about the whales ?. What I don’t want it to be showering and then someone turn a tap on and there be next to no water coming out

22 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A vote for the belt driven American Jabsco, not the quietest but bomb proof, repairable with all parts available from Cleghorn Waring.

What make and model jabsco are you using and for what usage ??

2 minutes ago, pollip said:

I heard the whale fresh water pumps are real real loud which isn’t what I want really.

Regardless of the type/model, any pump will be noisy unless some effort is made to isolate it from its surroundings, such as by giving it some sort of resilient mounting. Mine is connected to plastic pipework and sits on a thick rubber mat on a wooden floor, which makes a huge difference. 

11 minutes ago, pollip said:

What make and model jabsco are you using and for what usage ??

Jabsco PAR 36950 series running narrow boat, thermostatic shower, basin sink, washer. Expensive but will see me and the next owner out.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Have you tried gently tightening the screws in the plastic pump head that holds it onto the plastic body? That sometimes works but probably not if the pump has frozen.

I haven’t tbh thought about it but I’ve a feeling it’s the seals and I can’t be bothered with it, it’s a refit just testing the plumbing system and I was going to replace it but thought ahh I’ll see if it works first. Works fine so I’ll keep it as a spare for something outside maybe pumping out the diesel tank into containers (got some tank work to do and won’t care if the pump breaks) or emptying a rather full bilge or something along those lines 

17 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Regardless of the type/model, any pump will be noisy unless some effort is made to isolate it from its surroundings, such as by giving it some sort of resilient mounting. Mine is connected to plastic pipework and sits on a thick rubber mat on a wooden floor, which makes a huge difference. 

Ooh I’m aware of that matey the noise is one of those, if I can help it I’d try and buy a quieter pump but not if it’ll sacrifice quality for the same money. I intend to mount it onto some 50mm king span then box it with an oversized 18mm ply box lined with kingspan

38 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Jabsco PAR 36950 series running narrow boat, thermostatic shower, basin sink, washer. Expensive but will see me and the next owner out.

That does look booody awesome but I must say well out of budget 

12 minutes ago, pollip said:

That does look booody awesome but I must say well out of budget 

They were designed by Peters And Russel, hence the name, in America and used in recreation vehicles like the Airstream trailers. Parts are still available for the original models! They sometimes come up on ebay. Years ago I bought one new, old stock from Turkey for £120 delivered, a lucky find. They are good with a remote pressure switch like a Square D as the switch fits in a BSP tapped hole.

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I bought a much higher pressure pump, I think its 60 psi and controlling it with an external switch. I am hoping that running it well below its max pressure it may last a bit longer

Make and model ?