brexit bonus

Featured Posts

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/966132/Summary_of_responses_to_the_red_diesel_consultation.pdf

4.6Following consultation, the government has decided to maintain the entitlement to use red diesel beyond April 2022 for all commercial boat operating industries, including but not limited to the fishing and inland water freight industries.

4.7The government has therefore decided not to change the treatment of private pleasure craft in Great Britain, where they will continue to be able to use red diesel and pay their fuel supplier the difference between the red diesel rate and the white diesel rate on the proportion they intend to use for propulsion

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why? Is red diesel worse for the environment than white diesel? 

Cheaper fossil fuels will impede the development and uptake of more expensive and environmentally friendly alternatives. The environment cost that will come to bear, must therefore be brought forward to the present.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Cheaper fossil fuels will impede the development and uptake of more expensive and environmentally friendly alternatives. The environment cost that will come to bear, must therefore be brought forward to the present.

Have you read the original proposals and the decisions ?

The price would have been the same had we gone to 'white'.

"Boating Red" is no cheaper than "Boating White" except where suppliers would try and recoup their infrstaructure costs if any was needed.

Staying with Red, is actually a positive gain for the Environment as boaters will not be trying to fill up their tanks from cans and spilling fuel into the Canals & Rivers.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

"Boating Red" is no cheaper than "Boating White" except where suppliers would try and recoup their infrstaructure costs if any was needed.

Staying with Red, is actually a positive gain for the Environment as boaters will not be trying to fill up their tanks from cans and spilling fuel into the Canals & Rivers.

That's a false dichotomy, I see no reason why fuel boats and marinas can't sell white but happy to be shown wrong. I know of the original proposals, the new one seems to be that red is cheaper than white?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

But seriously?

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that is a major point

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

That's a false dichotomy, I see no reason why fuel boats and marinas can't sell white but happy to be shown wrong. I know of the original proposals, the new one seems to be that red is cheaper than white?

Who is suggesting that the 'new' proposals result in lower cost diesel?

If you have read the original consultation papers you will have noted that :

The current method is that 'all' diesel is at reduced duty rate, but that which is purchased for propulsion has duty added to it.

The proposal was for 'all' diesel would be at a full duty rate and a reduction down to the reduced duty rate would be applied to fuel used for domestic use.

You achive the same pricing by two differing methods.

Propulsion diesel is charged at full duty in both scenarios, domestic use diesel is charged at the rebated rate in both scenarios.

There was a possibility that the VAT rate could have been increased if the 'decision' had gone to white, but that was never widely discussed.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Who is suggesting that the 'new' proposals result in lower cost diesel?

If you have read the original consultation papers you will have noted that :

The current method is that 'all' diesel is at reduced duty rate, but that which is purchased for propulsion has duty added to it.

The proposal was for 'all' diesel would be at a full duty rate and a reduction down to the reduced duty rate would be applied to fuel used for domestic use.

You achive the same pricing by two differing methods.

Propulsion diesel is charged at full duty in both scenarios, domestic use diesel is charged at the rebated rate in both scenarios.

There was a possibility that the VAT rate could have been increased if the 'decision' had gone to white, but that was never widely discussed.

Oh fair enough then, I'm wrong, thanks for the explanation.

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I actually thought that someone would come back to tell me that there was more to it than that, e.g. that the new rule would have meant that the heating relief would have been removed but, if I'm reading you correctly, it's just the colour?

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think that is a major point

It's actually a ridiculous point.

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But the VAT on domestic use would have been 5%. 

There was never (that I have seen) any discussions about the VAT implicatiosns (as I mentioned earlier)

But we got away with the 5% VAT on propulsion as well as domestic.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

Yes, seriously? Unless there are some complex economics, on first glance cheaper fossil fuels are not a good thing, whether it's a cost reduction on the supply chain or the consumer.

Makes my diesel cheap....

That;s all I care about....nothing else matters.

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is a thread all about this from Wandering Snail

Please see above thread.

I will now lock this one rather than merge is that is ok with people.

Thanks

Daniel