Rust in 2 pack primer. How to remove?

Featured Posts

Hi, due to the winter weather our primed (2 pack) sail away has developed patches of rust in areas. We’re reluctant to remove the whole layer of primer all over as it would be a massive job. 

can anyone recommend a rust treatment or converter which can be applied to the primer and then also adhere to a top coat directly?  

any advice or product recommendations would be great! 

thanks,

Adam 

Vactan may help but if rust has come through 2 pack epoxy it must be under the paint to start with unless the paint is just too thin originally.

Is it epoxy or just automotive 2 pack which is often water based and not impermeable?

If you are looking for a long lasting good paint finish you will have to cut back to bright steel I am  afraid and re-prime.

2 pack epoxy is supposed to go onto clean grit blasted steel, not the mill scale that all steel has from rolling.

Just rememeber that Vactan should not be used on surfaces below 10 degrees C

From the Vactan website ;

Vactan should NOT be applied at temperatures below 10° C, or when there is a risk of condensation or rain during this drying period. Vactan can be used in the following areas: Manufacturing, Agriculture, Automotive, Local Authority, Road Haulage, Chemical, Marine, Heavy Engineering, Building and Construction, DIY, etc.

30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I see the resident pedant has stalked my post again so I will leave you in his hands and hope that you find his comments useful. Should you wish to contact me please use the personal messages facility.

TD'

You are a sad & sorry individual - that is not stalking, it is not being a pedant (maybe you should use your skills to look up some definitions) it is just supplementary information in support of your suggestion.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

My feeling is that something is wrong here. If you have rust then putting lots of topcoat on top might be just a waste of time and money.

Are you sure that it really is two pack/epoxy ?

...............Dave

1 hour ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi Tracy, thanks for your advice. It is zinc phosphate grey marine primer. 

So it's not a 2 pack primer.

Zinc phosphate is a porus primer and left uncoated for long enough will allow moisture will penetrate and corrosion will then bloom though. You need to take it all off I'm afraid.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi Tracy, thanks for your advice. It is zinc phosphate grey marine primer. Can we sand off rusted areas and re prime instead of going all the way back to steel all over? 

thanks 

As this is the bottom layer of a multicoat paint system you do really want to get rid of as much rust as possible. So any rusty areas need to be sanded back to sound paint or bare metal. Sound primer can remain.

But unless you have access to a covered heated area there is no point in doing anything about it now. Outdoor painting will have to wait until it is warmer.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are a sad & sorry individual - that is not stalking, it is not being a pedant (maybe you should use your skills to look up some definitions) it is just supplementary information in support of your suggestion.

I too have had problems with Tracy D'arth reacting very unfavorably to any supplementary comments relating to his/her posts (sorry I'm trying not to assume gender from the member's name).

I don't think Tracy quite gets the idea of a discussion forum. It's fine to disagree and even argue, but the minute one starts throwing names and insults around you've shown you're not capable of reasonable discussion and should perhaps take your thoughts elsewhere. Taking things so personally is no good for anyone, least of all yourself.

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I too have had problems with Tracy D'arth reacting very unfavorably to any supplementary comments relating to his/her posts (sorry I'm trying not to assume gender from the member's name).

I don't think Tracy quite gets the idea of a discussion forum. It's fine to disagree and even argue, but the minute one starts throwing names and insults around you've shown you're not capable of reasonable discussion and should perhaps take your thoughts elsewhere. Taking things so personally is no good for anyone, least of all yourself.

I have restrained myself for many months and not made any attempt to respond to his various serious accusations of illegal acts - however the time comes when a 'bit of a response' is necessary.

Previously there have been a number of forum members who have responded to him saying that the 'alleged' stalking is nothing of the sort when all I have done is corrected his errors on statements regarding (for example) the BSS where the advice given was contary to the BSS requirements in the current (2015) BSS and would result in the questioner failing his BSS.

Tracy has a phenominal engineering experience and knowledge of BMC engines but is less up to date on some other areas of boating.

Likewise I was called a fool and a troll when all I did was try to correct something he'd said that wasn't right. Unfortunately I then reacted in kind and got a warning from the mods. Lady G then sent me a PM calling me a f*ckwit because apparently Tracy isn't well and stressing him out isn't helping.

I didn't know he wasn't well, but as must as he has my sympathies I'm afraid if he sees fit to initiate insulting responses then he should be prepared to accept that some people won't take too kindly and occasionally some insults may be directed back towards him. We're all responsible for our own responses and our own stress levels. 

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Likewise I was called a fool and a troll when all I did was try to correct something he'd said that wasn't right. Unfortunately I then reacted in kind and got a warning from the mods. Lady G then sent me a PM calling me a f*ckwit  .........................

no surprises there then  :banghead:

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

You have intimated about Sam before but you are deluded. He is banned here, and so is his son, also Sam.  I know them both well. I worked with Sam Senior for a while.

Sam is still in Manila, more or less trapped by circumstances since March last year, his son is in the UK when the government haven't sent him off to  foreign parts like Beirut, Brussels, Paris etc on diplomatic visits. He is on Thunderboat but is banned on here.

I know some here think Sam was rude and nasty, he is not. He is just old and self centred. He is one hell of a good engineer, I respect him and what he knows.