Otters.

Featured Posts

Its great news isnt it. There are otters all over the system now. First we saw was in 89 on the L and L. We have them on the Oxford and a resident one or more next to our moorings here. Lovely to see them occasionaly.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Hmph. One of my goldfish has disappeared. That'll be otters that will. Jen is right. Give them an inch and the next thing you know they are eating your goldfish and coming through the cat flap and stealing your car keys.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I haven't read the article I don't accept adverts and if not its behind a pay wall.

However cats are notorious  as a species for disliking water there are exceptions but not may.  Tigers are the only one I can think of which regularly voluntarily enters water.

Otters are also larger than cats.  A wet cat is remarkably small (yes I have washed a cat - I still carry the scars)

I welcome the establishment of otters and beavers in our waterways.

Perhaps we can train the otters to construct holts using the mud from the canal, better dredgers than C&RT?

Could the beavers be trained to make and repair lock gates? They would be excellent carpenters!

@Jerra

Otters just wet cats

CATS and otters are the same animal.

Researchers at the Institute for Studies found that rather than being a distinct species, otters were merely bedraggled cats with an unusually strong fish drive.

Professor Henry Brubaker said: "Contrary to popular belief, cats love water because it is full of fish. When they emerge they look more muscular because their coats are slicked down, and also their pointy ears appear more stubby because they are mostly fur. When humans first saw a really wet cat they were like "what the f**k is that" and gave it another name. There are far fewer species than most people think. For example, bears are really just large fat dogs and worms are obviously a puny type of albino snake."

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Otters are also larger than cats.  A wet cat is remarkably small (yes I have washed a cat - I still carry the scars)

I share your pain, having a wet angry cat sat on my head whilst my arms dripped blood into the sink was a memorable experience 

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I welcome the establishment of otters and beavers in our waterways.

Perhaps we can train the otters to construct holts using the mud from the canal, better dredgers than C&RT?

Could the beavers be trained to make and repair lock gates? They would be excellent carpenters!

Prince Charles trialled this on his estate in Cornwall as a more eco-friendly way of water management back in 1987. Using only the finest taxpayers money they managed to trouser over £38million trying to teach otters to craft rudimentary lock gates and side ponds. But after 8 years and many all-expenses paid trips to Canada, animal behaviourists were forced to admit defeat when it was realised the otters demands for fish and protection money were just too high, also they just couldn't get the mitres right. You can still see evidence of the experimental two mile stretch with associated dams, lake, club house, McDonalds and Laura Ashley Outlet shop. The otters still receive an undisclosed amount of fish from the Treasury and have threatened to throw spoor at Prince Charles on sight.

• Haha 2