Yet another question about painting!

Featured Posts

Hi everyone hope you're all doing ok,

I'm painting the boat sides this year.  I'm doing it on the cut.  I've already removed that horrible tape stuff that's used as tramlines, I've filled in loads of cuts, scrapes and dents, and undercoated both sides.

So now when the boat gets wet, I can still just about see some bits of those tape lines.  Damn it!  Now I've not the time to sand it back all down again in the hope I can get rid of said lines, but if I paint it in high gloss I reckon they'll stick out and look rubbish....so here comes the question....what top coat do I go for? If it's not high gloss what are the options to obscure these lines?  I know I could paint lines over the lines but I'd rather not.

Any help appreciated (unless it's a lecture about why I shouldn't paint on the cut!)

(or about why I should take it back to bare steel) -  if it was just me in my boat then sure, but with work, family and cruising these aren't options for me.

Cheers all

Craig

You could try a satin finish but I wouldn't go for a matt paint. I've used dark grey matt on my stern bulkhead to hide the uneven surface and it looks great. When I painted it in gloss it showed every imperfection. The only trouble with matt paint is that it has an open surface and scratches very easily.

I think you probably just need to sand back a bit more to get a smooth surface and then you can use whatever paint you want. If you do go back to steel in those areas you can patch prime those areas (2 coats), sand again to fair the edges in and then undercoat the whole cabin side and then topcoats. 

It's very difficult to get a good finish painting on the towpath. If you sand between coats the result should be smoother, but if you don't sand you must observe maximum overcoating times for the paints you're using. Read the technical data sheets.

There are some good videos on YouTube. Search for John Barnard boat painting.

I fully understand your comments about going back to bare metal but how have you rubbed down the paintwork so far? Last year my marina neighbour was experiencing exactly the same issues and I lent him my Bosch duel action sander together with some good quality discs. It took him a weekend to get rid of every trace of 'tramlines'  (55' hull). He did the work on the bank and his inverter supported the sander without issue.  

Edited by Slim

As above, a good sander .

You need to undercoat and leave it to cure, then sand out tramlines.

I have used Rustoleum Combi on my boat, it's not Craftmaster, but it gives a decent tough coating.

International Interdeck for non slip surfaces

Edited by LadyG

When you removed the tape, did you then use an adhesive remover to take the glue away??

If not, the glue will still sit there and show up when you paint over it.

This is what we use...if you use it now, it will probably take the undercoat off as well where the tramlines were.

https://www.dtc-uk.com/3m08984-adhesive-cleaner-1-litre.html

• Greenie 1

Double or triple undercoat where the tape was, feathering the edges of the coats out well.

Let it dry fully, not in the present cold weather, then sand the areas to blend them in.

What you will get if you rush and don't let it dry fully is what is called "mapping" in the trade because it looks like contour lines on a map around every dent, ding and mark in the original paint.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies all,

I reckon the glue never came off properly.  I white spirited it, then used petrol but thought that did it.  It didn't look quite right though and I wondered if the bloody stuff hadn't all come off.  I hate that tape.  We got the boat 2nd hand and the original owner paid 100k and still got the tape.  Rotten stuff. I shall give the adhesive remover a go, any other ideas or advice please let me know.

Cheers

Craig