GU/Nene and beyond.worth the effort.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, MaryP said:

Yes, the Nene gets my vote too, although we only went as far as Irthlingborough due to time constraints. Just to see where the earthlings live...... I'll get my hat.....

The next section after the lock is fun in the fog

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

That's the Briggate Bend on the Briggate river, Whittlesey Dyke is a mile to the south east of  Whittlesey.

There is no traveller site in Whittlesey, Manor field is hired out to the caravan club for rallys

There certainly was when i passed through, we tied up to some railings 100-150 yards past the bend. About 200 yards further on towards the lock on the left were 6 or so smashed up canoes and behind them was a mess of vans, caravans and so on - there were horses of their preferred type in the field next to it. This was no caravan club meet i can assure you!

10 minutes ago, BWM said:

There certainly was when i passed through, we tied up to some railings 100-150 yards past the bend. About 200 yards further on towards the lock on the left were 6 or so smashed up canoes and behind them was a mess of vans, caravans and so on - there were horses of their preferred type in the field next to it. This was no caravan club meet i can assure you!

That is still not a travellers site, That is Manor field part of the local leisure centre complex. IT would have been illegally occupied by the Travellers

who would have broken the gate to get in after hours. They would have been evicted in a few days, under new laws coming in. They will be evicted same day.

Edited by nbfiresprite

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

That is still not a travellers site, That is Manor field part of the local leisure centre complex. IT would have been illegally occupied by the Travellers

who would have broken the gate to get in after hours. They would have been evicted in a few days

What an odd and unnecessary argument, whoever they were had been there for some time and i can only speak as i see. In the end, a gathering of shady caravan types were in residence which most would consider a site that contains travellers, however temporary - which they clearly weren't. 

1 minute ago, BWM said:

What an odd and unnecessary argument, whoever they were had been there for some time and i can only speak as i see. In the end, a gathering of shady caravan types were in residence which most would consider a site that contains travellers, however temporary - which they clearly weren't. 

You keep claiming that it is a Travellers site. Which will put people off from stopping in Whittlesey. You also claim that they had been their for some time.

Do think that the council will let a group of travellers stay, which would effect the income of the leisure centre. They would have been there three days at most.

Which is the average time it take Fenland Council to remove travellers from council land.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, BWM said:

We have shade with our caravan. Does that make us 'shady caravan types'? The hedgehogs are in the red bucket under the 'van ready to go on the BBQ. ????

Caravan_1.jpg

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

You keep claiming that it is a Travellers site. Which will put people off from stopping in Whittlesey. You also claim that they had been their for some time.

Do think that the council will let a group of travellers stay, which would effect the income of the leisure centre. They would have been there three days at most.

Which is the average time it take Fenland Council to remove travellers from council land.

Some of the vehicles had been there for years, not days. I don't profess to know much about Whittlesey but trust my judgement when forming an opinion. Your semantics have made more of the issue than my passing remark, but if i had to pass judgement on the place i wasn't impressed by anything other than the pub i mentioned and an attractive church, the rest had a desperate look to it.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We have shade with our caravan. Does that make us 'shady caravan types'? The hedgehogs are in the red bucket under the 'van ready to go on the BBQ. ????

Caravan_1.jpg

Very nice, and the polar opposite of the ones i mentioned!

35 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

who would have broken the gate to get in after hours. They would have been evicted in a few days, under new laws coming in. They will be evicted same day.

I think BWM is referring to the site at the other end of Whittlesey near the railway bridge and past the bend. That is exactly as he describes.

Not being a local myself I presume Manor Field is right next to the lock as thats the only leisure centre I know of.

3 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I think BWM is referring to the site at the other end of Whittlesey near the railway bridge and past the bend. That is exactly as he describes.

Not being a local myself I presume Manor Field is right next to the lock as thats the only leisure centre I know of.

That is still not a Travellers site, it is breakers yard and has been for many years. BWM claims that the travellers site is 200 yards towards the lock

after Briggate Bend. The locals are allowed to keep horses not just travellers.

whitt.jpg.6166808ce21140885cd6a3a32c0a4fb6.jpg

We've been considering the Nene and the Levels this year, but might leave it for now because if finding moorings can be a problem normally, it will probably be even worse this year because of the expected increase in people going boating rather than holidaying abroad.

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Caravan_1.jpg

Very spruce - and it's good to see that your terrier (whose name I have forgotten) is still in charge.

2 minutes ago, Grassman said:

We've been considering the Nene and the Levels this year, but might leave it for now because if finding moorings can be a problem normally, it will probably be even worse this year because of the expected increase in people going boating rather than holidaying abroad.

On the Middle Level, an increase in boats still isn't many boats.

4 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I'm not sure there will be many more people boating this year. I guess that some boaters will go out more often instead of going abroad, but there's only a limited number of boats in the country and I think most hire fleets are always fully booked in summer months anyway.

12 minutes ago, Grassman said:

On an average days boating on the Nene/ML it is an event if you see another moving boat. Some weeks (outside school holidays) we have been a whole week and not seen a moving boat ?

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

On an average days boating on the Nene/ML it is an event if you see another moving boat. Some weeks (outside school holidays) we have been a whole week and not seen a moving boat ?

At this time of year, yes, but once the very active hire fleets in March (the town) begin their season in April (the month), we have quite a few going past.