Canalboat magazine says "a visit to check on a boat's safety is an acceptable reason to travel"

Rivelin

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'table' (Pdf) does show that overnight stays are allowed after 29th march

8th March

Private boats for recreation (1 household for indoor boats & 6 people / 2 households for outdoor boats) Minimise travel (stay at home rules lifted). Overnight stays should not take place.

29th March

Same as step 1 plus guidance against overnight stays lifted (single household bubble only) Minimise travel

It is obviously 'not clear' if two (allegedly) sensible adults read the same words and get a diametrically opposed understanding

Where have you pasted that from?

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

As I read the document from the download it is clear.   8/3/21 you can be on a boat locally either as a family or if you are in a bubble but it must be "where the vessel is open air".    To me that means an open "boat" e.g. Kayak, canoe, rowing boat etc I doubt anybody would think a conventional narrowboat is "open air".

From 29/3/21 one family can be on an "indoor boat" staying local and not sleeping onboard.

From 12/4/21 6 people or two household still staying local.   It doesn't make it clear if you can stay overnight but self catering accommodation is open from that date so presumably overnight stays are allowed.

It seems very clear to me. 

I noticed it said 'open air', but I cannot see where that can be found in the government's guidance.  It looks like an interpretation to me.  Probably sensible though.

I also noticed that self drive holiday hire is allowed from April 12 but lower down it says "minimise travel".  Surely these 2 requirements are mutually exclusive?  Or are they seriously thinking people will pick up a boat, from Norbury (for example) and spend a week going to High Offley and back?

Assuming that the 'minimise travel' thing is just a vague ambition, I can't see that liveaboards will be any more restricted on the 29th of March than they will be on the 20th of June.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Or are they seriously thinking people will pick up a boat, from Norbury (for example) and spend a week going to High Offley and back?

Yes, seven times.

22 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I noticed it said 'open air', but I cannot see where that can be found in the government's guidance.  It looks like an interpretation to me.  Probably sensible though.

There's a version of that table posted in another thread where it says that the definitions of 'open air' and 'indoor' are as set out in the smoking regulations, so if you can smoke its 'open air', if you can't its 'indoor'.

On 02/03/2021 at 14:08, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree - but that is not what the Waterways Guidance link shows :

8th March

Private boats for recreation (1 household for indoor boats & 6 people / 2 households for outdoor boats) Minimise travel (stay at home rules lifted). Overnight stays should not take place.

29th March

Same as step 1 plus guidance against overnight stays lifted (single household bubble only) Minimise travel

That link is rubbish, it does not reflect what we expecting the law to say once updated to match the government road map.  As always people just wanting to bend things to match their requirements.

Unless I have got this wrong big time, it’s happened before!

From 8 March, outdoor recreation will be again allowed (rather than just outdoor exercise).  This can as the exercise be with one person from outside your household.  The intention being to allow you to sit on a bench with a coffee and have a chat with someone, rather than having to keep moving while outside as you do now.  

From 29 March, the legal requirement to stay at home is removed, so you can travel without an excuse.  So you could drive to a park, beach, national trust grounds etc and have a picnic.  You can also travel to your boat to check it, do work on it, and if you want go out for the day.  

From 12 April, you will be allowed to be away from the place that you live overnight, so you can go out on the boat and stay on it, but it is only one household on the boat.  

From 17 May, you would be allowed 6 people or 2 household on the boat.  

From 21 June, anything goes.

have I got this wrong?

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

That link is rubbish, it does not reflect what we expecting the law to say once updated to match the government road map.  As always people just wanting to bend things to match their requirements.

Unless I have got this wrong big time, it’s happened before!

From 8 March, outdoor recreation will be again allowed (rather than just outdoor exercise).  This can as the exercise be with one person from outside your household.  The intention being to allow you to sit on a bench with a coffee and have a chat with someone, rather than having to keep moving while outside as you do now.  

From 29 March, the legal requirement to stay at home is removed, so you can travel without an excuse.  So you could drive to a park, beach, national trust grounds etc and have a picnic.  You can also travel to your boat to check it, do work on it, and if you want go out for the day.  

From 12 April, you will be allowed to be away from the place that you live overnight, so you can go out on the boat and stay on it, but it is only one household on the boat.  

From 17 May, you would be allowed 6 people or 2 household on the boat.  

From 21 June, anything goes.

have I got this wrong?

Exactly my understanding too.

Why are RCR, British Marine, etc, etc interpreting it differently???