Canalboat magazine says "a visit to check on a boat's safety is an acceptable reason to travel"

Rivelin

Featured Posts

COVID-19: Reopening of the marine industry in England - 02/03/2021

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Monday 22 February outlining the roadmap of when restrictions are likely to be eased across England, British Marine met with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to clarify the guidance specific to the leisure marine industry. Representatives from the Department for Transport, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, navigation authorities, and user groups from across the sector also took part in the meeting. Members can read and download the following file which sets out which forms of activity can resume and when. 

British Marine is delighted that from 8 March all forms of watersports, including the use of privately-owned craft and self-drive day hire boats for single households, can go ahead in England (subject to local navigation and harbour authority guidance). Furthermore, it has been concluded that marinas can open from 8 March to allow recreational boating to take place and boat brokerage can open in line with non-essential retail from 12 April.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Monday 22 February outlining the roadmap of when restrictions are likely to be eased across England, British Marine met with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to clarify the guidance specific to the leisure marine industry. Representatives from the Department for Transport, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, navigation authorities, and user groups from across the sector also took part in the meeting. Members can read and download the following file which sets out which forms of activity can resume and when. 

British Marine is delighted that from 8 March all forms of watersports, including the use of privately-owned craft and self-drive day hire boats for single households, can go ahead in England (subject to local navigation and harbour authority guidance). Furthermore, it has been concluded that marinas can open from 8 March to allow recreational boating to take place and boat brokerage can open in line with non-essential retail from 12 April.

Nice - an article with real evidence for what's allowed.

The table said from 8 March private boating is allowed for "open air" boats, so I guess that means rowing, canoes, and sailing boats...

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

CRT are saying 29th March not 8th March.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Following the links show that you can go to your boat and use your boat from 8th March, but the 'stay at home' rules are not lifted until 29th March.

Does that mean you must return home each night until 29th March ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Following the links show that you can go to your boat and use your boat from 8th March, but the 'stay at home' rules are not lifted until 29th March.

Officially you must stay at home until 29th March, so not sure how its ok to take your boat out from 8th March - presume you'd want to be on your boat when its cruising about?  or have I missed something?

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No,  what the "law" states  is that you can't stay out anywhere other than your home until 12th April. You can visit from 8th March but only if your your boat is in the same area as your house as the stay at home takes precedence so you can't visit a boat at the other end of the country until 29th March and then it's a day visit only.

I don't see what's so difficult ?

Edited by Loddon

6 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No,  what the "law" states  is that you can't stay out anywhere other than your home until 12th April. You can visit from 8th March but only if your your boat is in the same area as your house as the stay at home takes precedence so you can't visit a boat at the other end of the country until 29th March and then it's a day visit only.

I don't see what's so difficult ?

I agree - but that is not what the Waterways Guidance link shows :

8th March

Private boats for recreation (1 household for indoor boats & 6 people / 2 households for outdoor boats) Minimise travel (stay at home rules lifted). Overnight stays should not take place.

29th March

Same as step 1 plus guidance against overnight stays lifted (single household bubble only) Minimise travel

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's very clear, it's just that many people don't want it to apply to them ...

It's not a case of it wanting to apply or not - it's a case of not wanting to break the law.

The Canaboat magazine article suggests the authorities have agreed a boat owner can go and check the boat is safe, because if they don't their insurance may be void in the case of a claim.

CRT is now very vague on this, EA have completely removed the section on when visiting is legal from their latest statement, and now it seems British Marine say boating is all legal from 8th March (although their attached table doesn't say so).

I need to visit and check on my boat, however it is 250 miles away, I will not even be thinking about going until next month and if it's before the 12th it will be a day trip ?

• Greenie 1

From the government's website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

"Social contact

People will be allowed to leave home for recreation and exercise outdoors with their household or support bubble, if they are eligible for one, or with one person from outside their household. Care home residents will also be allowed one regular visitor."

This is a wider allowance than currently.  The key word is recreation, not just exercise.  This, I suppose means that boating should be allowed for single households as long as it's 'local'.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Officially you must stay at home until 29th March, so not sure how its ok to take your boat out from 8th March - presume you'd want to be on your boat when its cruising about?  or have I missed something?

it is perfectly clear.

believe it or not, some boats are not suitable for staying on overnight, and most other boats may be used for recreation without staying on overnight.  ..............    oh, and by the way, there are boats other than narrowboats and cabin cruisers.

some folk are just plain awkward, and behave that way just for the sake of it.     :banghead:

As I read the document from the download it is clear.   8/3/21 you can be on a boat locally either as a family or if you are in a bubble but it must be "where the vessel is open air".    To me that means an open "boat" e.g. Kayak, canoe, rowing boat etc I doubt anybody would think a conventional narrowboat is "open air".

From 29/3/21 one family can be on an "indoor boat" staying local and not sleeping onboard.

From 12/4/21 6 people or two household still staying local.   It doesn't make it clear if you can stay overnight but self catering accommodation is open from that date so presumably overnight stays are allowed.

It seems very clear to me. 

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

From 29/3/21 one family can be on an "indoor boat" staying local and not sleeping onboard.

The 'table' (Pdf) does show that overnight stays are allowed after 29th march

8th March

Private boats for recreation (1 household for indoor boats & 6 people / 2 households for outdoor boats) Minimise travel (stay at home rules lifted). Overnight stays should not take place.

29th March

Same as step 1 plus guidance against overnight stays lifted (single household bubble only) Minimise travel

It is obviously 'not clear' if two (allegedly) sensible adults read the same words and get a diametrically opposed understanding

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

From 12/4/21 6 people or two household still staying local.   It doesn't make it clear if you can stay overnight but self catering accommodation is open from that date so presumably overnight stays are allowed.

It seems very clear to me. 

As I understood it that is only single household from that date not two. That is later.

I know if at least one group that has had to cancel their holiday cottage as it was two families.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'table' (Pdf) does show that overnight stays are allowed after 29th march

8th March

Private boats for recreation (1 household for indoor boats & 6 people / 2 households for outdoor boats) Minimise travel (stay at home rules lifted). Overnight stays should not take place.

29th March

Same as step 1 plus guidance against overnight stays lifted (single household bubble only) Minimise travel

It is obviously 'not clear' if two (allegedly) sensible adults read the same words and get a diametrically opposed understanding

Not on my download it isn't.   That come sin column 3 which is the start of step 2 12/4/21

image.png.604f4b08034a02978c7ccbb12bfb5d67.png