Message about DOR

Rhys_OR

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I know my father was a regular visitor to this forum and went by the handle DOR. He owned the boat Aeshna, moored near Nantwich.

Dave lived with lung cancer for over 8 years but has sadly passed away. Boating was such a big part of his life and I know many of you would have had conversations with him over the years.

He was passionate about engineering, science and research and we have set up a just giving site in his name with donations going to the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/DavidOwen-Roberts.

Kind regards

Rhys

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 9

He was a member here for sixteen years and amassed over 7,000 posts, the last ones as recently as last week. He will be missed.

Thank you, Rhys, for letting us know. R.I.P. Dor.

I am sad to know that I won't meet Dave at our mooring anymore but understand that this means he is no longer having to endure the considerable suffering that his condition entailed.  My commiserations to his family who will miss a wonderful person.  I will remember him every time I use the router bench he gave me a few months ago.

• Greenie 4

It's an odd thing about web forums - to me (and I guess to most of us) most of the other participants are a forum name, an avatar and typed words on a screen, and yet we feel we know people who post here, they have a personality, they are real, and it's brought home when we realise they will never post again. 

RIP Dor, I hope there are canals and boats wherever it is you have gone

I am very sad to hear about Dave's passing, and my condolences to all of his family. Dave was a good friend and has helped me with a lot of advice over the 20 years that I have known him. I got to know him in the very early days of this forum, when I bought our first Narrowboat., and we have often met up on the canal system. 
Rest in peace Dave, after your long  and bravely fought illness. We will miss you.

Edited by Stan H
typo

Dave and Chris moor at Henhull on the Shropshire Union and we became friends when we also moored at this site. Even though we have

moved to Anderton ,we have kept in touch and my wife and I are proud to have known Dave.

Some of you may not know that Dave & Chris were editors of the Shropshire Union Canal Society magazine "Cuttings" for many years

and transformed the mag. until Dave was forced by ill health to hand over to Rod & Carol Hamilton-King; who have carried on in an excellent

similar style.

DOR will be sadly missed.

On 02/03/2021 at 13:55, magpie patrick said:

It's an odd thing about web forums - to me (and I guess to most of us) most of the other participants are a forum name, an avatar and typed words on a screen, and yet we feel we know people who post here, they have a personality, they are real, and it's brought home when we realise they will never post again. 

RIP Dor, I hope there are canals and boats wherever it is you have gone

Nicely put.

Like others, I 'knew' him only from his writings here, but I'd also like to offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Only met Dor once in the flesh, on the Audlem flight, moving a boat early in the year, had a good laugh once we realised who each other was.

Cracking poster, always respectful and knowledgable, a sad loss, although he knew it was coming a long while ago.

RIP DOR