Cheap Sailaways

Featured Posts

Hi,
Sorry if you get asked this all the time, but who is the best provider of cheap sailaways at the moment?

I'm aware they've gone out of business (correct me if I'm wrong, which is likely!) but their website is still up and liverpool boat co were doing 70ft sailaways for £25,000 roughly 10 years ago. I've had a look around and the going rate seems to be nearer £40,000 from the sites I've found with prices up.

Has the price nearly doubled in 10 years or am I not looking in the right places? As per the title, who are the best providers of cheap sailaways/shells atm?

Thanks in advance :)

the word cheap means different things to different folk.

not a lot wrong with Liverpool shells - they once supplied about half the market.

I notice that Sainsburys feel obliged to do price matching with Aldi who could also be described as the cheap end of the market, but I would describe them as excellent value and great service.

• Greenie 1

Have you truly considered the time and effort it takes to fit out a boat? Doing it to a reasonable standard will probably take time measured in years if you have a full time job as well. Have you considered the implications of whatever the  RCD has morphed into post Brexit? You may find a part complete sailaway where the starry eyed owner gave up for a reasonable price. If the major driver is that you enjoy the fitting out rather than boating then be realistic time wand effort wise and go ahead. If you want to go boating on a budget then I am with David Mack.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why do you want a cheap sailaway? The shell is the only thing you can't upgrade on a boat. A cheap sailaway will always be a cheap boat.

Why not buy a better quality boat second hand?

It's a good point, the main reason is I love a challenge and fitting out the boat and designing the systems would be my sadistic version of fun, ha. I'm not willing to pay through the teeth to do my own labour though?

I've checked out the second hand market, and you can get a half decent boat for around £40,000, but honestly I'd rather get a cheap sailaway and do it myself. If the going price of a sailaway has really increased this much, add on the equipment and it soon starts creeping above what I'm comfortable spending. I thought maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, I would be happy with a cheap shell and getting a recon engine fitted tbh if it worked out cheaper?

Money tight and time rich best explains my outlook, ha!

Welcome, C.R.

Some wise words in the posts above; but if you still intend to look for a sailaway, the successors to Liverpool Boats are called Collingwood Boats. I have no idea if they still produce sailaways, but a look at their web site will tell you.

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

the word cheap means different things to different folk.

not a lot wrong with Liverpool shells - they once supplied about half the market.

I notice that Sainsburys feel obliged to do price matching with Aldi who could also be described as the cheap end of the market, but I would describe them as excellent value and great service.

Are they out of business now? I was told this but haven't tried contacting them.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Have you truly considered the time and effort it takes to fit out a boat? Doing it to a reasonable standard will probably take time measured in years if you have a full time job as well. Have you considered the implications of whatever the  RCD has morphed into post Brexit? You may find a part complete sailaway where the starry eyed owner gave up for a reasonable price. If the major driver is that you enjoy the fitting out rather than boating then be realistic time wand effort wise and go ahead. If you want to go boating on a budget then I am with David Mack.

Yes I'm aware I wouldn't be able to sell it for at least 5 years without jumping through a lot of hoops, I've taken this into account. I did really reconsider at one point but I feel I'll always regret not trying to fit it out myself. It does make the argument for a second hand boat very tempting though.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome, C.R.

Some wise words in the posts above; but if you still intend to look for a sailaway, the successors to Liverpool Boats are called Collingwood Boats. I have no idea if they still produce sailaways, but a look at their web site will tell you.

Thanks, I'll look into it

I've just had a look. Yes indeed, Collingwood offer sailaways. As a rough price example, a medium-length (45 foot) sailaway costs about £28,000; the same length as a "sailaway plus" (basically with electrics, heating and some more wood added) would be about £38,000.

22 minutes ago, CanalRetentive said:

Yes I'm aware I wouldn't be able to sell it for at least 5 years without jumping through a lot of hoops,

Sorry to say since 2017 the legal liability lasts for life, serious accident deemed due to non standard work you may finish up in court, even 20 years later. 

• Greenie 1

If you don't have experience of living with different boat layouts and fitting out you will make some expensive cockups and live to regret it.

Far better to go second hand first to get a feel of layouts and what might work for you.

• Greenie 2

I fitted out our present boat, it was tricky, I made all the windows and a hell of a lot of woodwork, collapsible wheelhouse, roof lights (-pigeon boxes)  and much, much more, engine installation, spray foam, all of it, and even the curtains and cushions. Took 3 years of serious grim slog. Could do a narrowboat in about 2 but I really, really would recommend a second hand boat as a first (or second) (or third) boat.

1 hour ago, Detling said:

Sorry to say since 2017 the legal liability lasts for life, serious accident deemed due to non standard work you may finish up in court, even 20 years later. 

Do you have a valid reference source for this statement please?

1 hour ago, CanalRetentive said:

I've checked out the second hand market, and you can get a half decent boat for around £40,000, but honestly I'd rather get a cheap sailaway and do it myself. If the going price of a sailaway has really increased this much, add on the equipment and it soon starts creeping above what I'm comfortable spending

No brainer... buy a “half decent boat” and use your skills and enthusiasm to make it better. Fitting out a sailaway might be fun for a month or two, but it will become a drudge after that.

• Greenie 1

I think buying a good secondhand boat, by which I mean a good hull, renowned maker, in need of tlc and upgrading will be a big enough job.

If you pursue the cheapo course due to cash shortage at this early stage, things will only get worse,  you'll run out of money within a year and end up with something that is not worth as much as you've paid out.

Poorly finished boats on a cheap hull are never going to be what people want to buy. If for example you pay £40K for the Hull,  spend £25K on fitting it out, after three years you will have a boat that is unlikely to fetch £65k, so why put yourself through this? 

• Greenie 1