Composting toilet waste disposal in CaRT bins

IanD

Composting toilet waste disposal in CaRT bins  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should CaRT continue to allow non-composted human waste from composting toilets to be disposed of in their waste bins (previous CaRT policy) or ban it (updated CaRT policy)?

• Yes, they should continue to allow this in future
    • No, this should be prohibited in future
    • I don't care

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why should marinas ban dog owners ?

I think every marina I have ever used has 'dog bins' around the marina, so if the doggy-bags are going into their general waste bins it must only be the marina staff doing it when emptying the dog-bag-bins, so is easy to control, or stop.

They won't, it's scaremongering along the lines of 'CRT will remove waste bins'.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think every marina I have ever used has 'dog bins' around the marina, so if the doggy-bags are going into their general waste bins it must only be the marina staff doing it when emptying the dog-bag-bins, so is easy to control, or stop.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply relaying what I was told. If you don't think this is true and is an attempt to shut the debate down, I think you know who to ask...

"This morning I had a conversation with one of the managers of our marina. I was told that another local marina has been told by their waste management company that they should not put dog poo in their bins. The discussions you are facilitating are exposing the issue of how much faeces are actually going into bins and there is a risk that these marinas (and likely the crt) will come under pressure not to allow dog waste. One marina may well ban dog waste. This can not be allowed to happen and will effect a lot of people. "

Edited by IanD

14 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It's a ridiculous notion that anybody 'owns' a thread.

As you say yourself  'free speech and all that.....'

You opened a thread and simply don't like the way it developed. Tough.

I think perhaps your signature line might be appropriate on this occasion. 

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply relaying what I was told.

"This morning I had a conversation with one of the managers of our marina. I was told that another local marina has been told by their waste management company that they should not put dog poo in their bins. The discussions you are facilitating are exposing the issue of how much faeces are actually going into bins and there is a risk that these marinas (and likely the crt) will come under pressure not to allow dog waste. One marina may well ban dog waste. This can not be allowed to happen and will effect a lot of people. "

Crap !!

So we should not talk about it, just 'sweep it under the carpet' and hope no one notices the every increasing volumes of uncomposted human faeces going into the bins.

Agreed, they shouldn't be putting dog-faeces into the general waste bins, they should be going into 'doggy-bins', which as I stated, have always been available at every marina I've used.

(I think I can guess who messaged you as they usually use 'effect' when they mean 'affect')

Edit for missing l tters

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Crap !!

So we should not talk about it, just 'sweep it under the carpet' and hope no one notices the every increasing volumes of uncomposted human faeces going into the bins.

Agreed, they shouldn't be putting dog-faeces into the general waste bins, they should be going into 'doggy-bins', which as I stated, have always been available at every marina I've used.

(I think I can guess who messaged you as they usually use 'effect' when they mean 'affect')

Edit for missing l tters

So Alan, what do you think  when dog poo is banned in various bins? I think this is quite a serious issue. At least one marina in our area is being told not to put dog poo in bins in the last few day. Please will you stop discussing this. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Crap !!

Agreed, they shouldn't be outting dog-faeces into the genral waste bins, they should be going into 'doggy-bins', which as I stated have always been available at every marina I've used.

Without knowing whether what he said was correct, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt just in case it was -- though this is galling when it's his arguments that have actually caused the potential problem.

An alternative viewpoint is that he's trying to shut down a discussion which has gone against him and showed that most boaters do care and agree with CaRT.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Without knowing whether what he said was correct, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt just in case it was -- though this is galling when it's his arguments that have actually caused the potential problem.

An alternative viewpoint is that he's trying to shut down a discussion which has gone against him and showed that most boaters do care and agree with CaRT.

Ian!!!!!!

Lets not try and have the last word?

We can start the arguments up again and I can see the outcome. Lets put this to rest. I dont have dogs.  Many others do.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, IanD said:

That is my take on it.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

So Alan, what do you think  when dog poo is banned in various bins? I think this is quite a serious issue. At least one marina in our area is being told not to put dog poo in bins in the last few day. Please will you stop discussing this. 

Yes, it should be banned in municipal waste. The use of doggy-bins is the answer with millions of them already available spread around the marinas, towns and cities and towpaths.

The forum survey (to date) is showing 70% against the practice and only 11.67% 'for' the practice of poop-bag-binning

29 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ian!!!!!!

Lets not try and have the last word?

We can start the arguments up again and I can see the outcome. Lets put this to rest. I dont have dogs.  Many others do.

I said what I did and why. I also said what Alan was thinking. Free speech and all that, I can't control what other people think or say.

I should also point out that this is a problem entirely of your own making; you were the one repeatedly throwing out arguments about how the non-poo swells sweet, and nappies are terrible, and maybe dog-poo is even worse -- so we should be allowed to carry on poo-bagging, surely? You even helpfully gave numbers to show how much dog-poo there was out there (numbers, kilograms...) to try and make poo-binning look less bad in comparison. And now you're panicking because you've suddenly seen the possible consequences of your argument on boater dog-owners who outnumber poo-baggers by maybe 50:1...

But like I said I gave you the benefit of the doubt, because the negative impact on lots of doggy-boaters if what you said was true could be far bigger than the positive impact of getting rid of some poo-baggers if it wasn't.

I'll continue to give you the benefit of the doubt unless it turns out that you're not telling the truth and just trying to shut an argument down that's gone badly against you.

It seems that some other people are not so sympathetic, or don't believe that you've suddenly come over all altruistic, and I can't tell them what to say or think...

Edited by IanD

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why not?

My marina has banned new moorers from having cats on their boats, why not dogs?

Existing cats are only allowed on the boat and have to be on a lead when off the boat.

A step forward in my mind.

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Why not?

Existing cats are only allowed on the boat and have to be on leads when off the boat.

A very good question.

One of the T&Cs on our caravan park is 'no children' and another is 'no dogs'.

There are plenty of parks that will take both, but many folks see the benefit of having neither 'under their feet'.

(We do own a dog and use the dog bins at the marina - what the marina then does with the doggy-bags is beyond our control)

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are plenty of parks that will take both, but many folks see the benefit of having neither 'under their feet'.

If a site/marina had the following t&c

No children, No dogs, No cats, No composting bogs

Sounds like it would be a good place to me.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A very good question.

One of the T&Cs on our caravan park is 'no children' and another is 'no dogs'.

(We do own a dog and use the dog bins at the marina - what the marina then does with the doggy-bags is beyond our control)

I think in the main sites that do that do it from the outset of opening. It's rare I would suggest for policy to change when existing owners would be affected. (but not impossible of course, particularly if you only introduce it as something for new customers.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

No children, No dogs, No cats, No composting bogs sounds like it would be a good place to me.

If you know what the marina expects then you can make a choice based on your expectations compared to their requirements.

Other marinas are available.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Why not?

Existing cats are only allowed on the boat and have to be on a lead when off the boat.

I would suggest that is to try and manage the problem of the felines pretty well pooing where they like.

Dogs will be prevented from pooing anywhere via, T&C's and compliance with those by owners.

You just can't control cats in the same way, unless you do what your marina has done of course.

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No children, No dogs, No cats, No composting bogs

Sounds like it would be a good place to me.

Just add 'no miserable curmudgeonly boaters' to the list and I would agree. ??

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That should guarantee it gets locked soon ...

Even if it does, it will have provided valuable information about what boaters really think about the CaRT rule change, which is that they overwhelmingly agree with it.

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Even if it does, it will have provided valuable information about what boaters really think about the CaRT rule change, which is that they overwhelmingly agree with it.

Not forgetting of course that a good few don't give a ........

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Read the results...

In any vote -- or even a recent referendum -- only the votes of those who vote count ?

Edited by IanD

OK guys. My last post on the subject. I do not want to argue about this topic. Both sides have put their views.

I have a professional interest in waste recycling. I work for a company that works closely to waste management companies. I know how they make their money. I have had a conversation over the last few days that tells me that at least one waste management company is not wanting dog poo in their bins and has told a marina not far from here to stop. All councils in this country accept this waste in domestic bins in this way. However being 'commercial', they have the power to say no.

The discussion on the CWDF on the topic has raised the issue. It has made others aware of dog poo in bins. That has resulted in the conversation I referred to earlier. I know waste management companies. I strongly suggest we stop this discussion - nothing to do with winning or loosing. I do not have a dog. I do not put poo in bins. However continued discussion will only lead to claim and counter claim that will ultimately lead to severe restrictions on where you can dispose of dog poo.

I asked IanD yesterday if we could let this die down and he agreed that penalty for not doing so could have a wider issue. I have contacted the mods who dont see an issue. AlandeE obviously doesnt care less about wanting to discuss dog poo - yet risks something that I guess many many will be concerned about.

I will not post again as I dont want to see a huge number of people disadvantaged. If they are then blame it on AlandeE, Athy and Magie Patrick who dont see it as an issue. It may already be too late

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No doubt the 'dumping in the bins should continue' voters  will 'claim' the 'don't care' vote, the same as the Brexit remainers tried to claim the '30%' of CBA to vote as a vote to remain.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

I will not post again as I dont want to see a huge number of people disadvantaged. If they are then blame it on AlandeE, Athy and Magie Patrick who dont see it as an issue. It may already be too late

Sorry Bob but you're the one who kept putting forward the arguments about why bagged-poo wasn't so bad compared to nappies and dog-poo, over and over and over again.

So stop trying to wriggle out of this one and blame others. If it does all go tits-up for dog-owners, it's crystal clear who is to blame. He's sitting in front of your keyboard.

It's amazing how you've suddenly had a revelation and come over all altruistic, worrying about the canal community and dog-owners (even though you're not one), when you've spent the last few days arguing tirelessly (and often using "alternative facts") for your own personal advantage and against the wishes of the canal community (and CaRT).

How do you explain this sudden change of heart?

• Greenie 1