How to plug old skin fitting hole

Featured Posts

Many moons ago the previous owner to my boat had a air con unit, the unit had a vent and drain hole through the cabin wall. I removed the power hungry beast and converted the vent to a closeable air vent but just put a cork in the small drain hole (1 inch). I want to do something a bit more permanent but don’t have access easily to the inside of the hole.  Any ideas on good ways to seal it off.

i want it to look better from outside and since being away from the boat so much would like the small hole plugged well as it’s amazing how imagination works and I’ve convinced myself ducks have pulled cork and are pouring water in. 

Its steel hull 

Cheers

D

I used a washer larger than the hole on the outside followed by 3 washers the same as the hole in the hull and a large washer on the inside, A dome headed coach bolt thrugh from the outside, nut on the inside and sealant on everything. Not sure I will ever get round to welding a patch in it.

I have to admit, I plugged a redundant 3/4" brass skin fitting by using one of those plastic wine bottle corks smeared all over with PU sealant (Marineflex) and just hammered the cork in. I think it's fairly permanent but it doesn't stop me from taking the skin fitting out one day and getting it welded if I need to.

2 hours ago, big d said:

Many moons ago the previous owner to my boat had a air con unit, the unit had a vent and drain hole through the cabin wall. I removed the power hungry beast and converted the vent to a closeable air vent but just put a cork in the small drain hole (1 inch). I want to do something a bit more permanent but don’t have access easily to the inside of the hole.  Any ideas on good ways to seal it off.

i want it to look better from outside and since being away from the boat so much would like the small hole plugged well as it’s amazing how imagination works and I’ve convinced myself ducks have pulled cork and are pouring water in. 

Its steel hull 

Cheers

D

As a temporary measure one of these with washers and sealant on the outside?

Forgefix TOG550M Plasterboard Spring Toggle - Zinc Plated

Toggle Bolts: Amazon.co.uk

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Get a 1" disc of steel then wedge it into the hole, then weld around it, grind weld back, paint it and it'll be unnoticeable

Or if you don't have access to welding kit (or don't want to apply heat to the cabin side), then clean up the edges of the hole and epoxy glue in a disc of steel. Once the glue has set you can fill and sand any irregularities and repaint.

50 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Or if you don't have access to welding kit (or don't want to apply heat to the cabin side), then clean up the edges of the hole and epoxy glue in a disc of steel. Once the glue has set you can fill and sand any irregularities and repaint.

You have just reminded me that my boat came with vents in the gas locker which let water into the locker while working locks. As I dont have gas I sealed them with filler about 16 years ago and blacked over them. I had forgotten all about them.

If you ensure the surface and the interior of the hole/skin fitting are free of rust, blacking and dust, wipe down with a lively solvent (not white spirit), you will be able permanently fill the hole with milliput. You could shape the outside into the shape of a rivet head or flatten it, black colour is available. It is as long lasting as the surrounding metal and will remain there if prepared properly. 

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

If you ensure the surface and the interior of the hole/skin fitting are free of rust, blacking and dust, wipe down with a lively solvent (not white spirit), you will be able permanently fill the hole with milliput. You could shape the outside into the shape of a rivet head or flatten it, black colour is available. It is as long lasting as the surrounding metal and will remain there if prepared properly. 

A fake rivet?? who'd want them? 

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

A fake rivet?? who'd want them? 

Not me, but would make the repair more stable as the op was concerned about water ingress if dislodged. Might put a tenner on resale value to a Hudson fan too.

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I would go for a screw cap on a threaded skin fitting but this needs the interior access you haven't got?

I was under the impression that the inside was inaccessible. 

Thanks for the ideas, I’m hopefully at boat next week as allowed for work. I can’t weld yet but that would be my longterm goal ( I had vents in bow locker welded up previously ) I can if I take apart a lot of internal furniture structure get to the inside but will see if the butterfly idea works first. Time to get rid of the cork