oil leak on vetus, crankcase pulley seal

charles123

Featured Posts

Have noticed an oil leak on my Vetus 4.17 that has developed in the last couple of weeks. I noticed a pool of black oil about 4 inches across below the engine, when I look with a mirror it apears to come from where the pulley goes into the block. I estimate the rate of loss to be about 4 drips per hr when the engine is running. The engine is 2 and a half years old. Can anyone advise the likely cause and whether it can be rectified, taking the engine out will be a major problem I dont even want to contemplate. Is the leak likely to get worse?

Thannks

Charles

Have noticed an oil leak on my Vetus 4.17 that has developed in the last couple of weeks. I noticed a pool of black oil about 4 inches across below the engine, when I look with a mirror it apears to come from where the pulley goes into the block. I estimate the rate of loss to be about 4 drips per hr when the engine is running. The engine is 2 and a half years old. Can anyone advise the likely cause and whether it can be rectified, taking the engine out will be a major problem I dont even want to contemplate. Is the leak likely to get worse?

Thannks

Charles

Charles

Look here on PAGE 19:

http://www.vetusweb.com/manuals/files/Vetu...r03%2005-01.pdf

Looks like the seal might not be too bad. You would need to remove the bottom pulley

I understand that the base engine is a Mitsubishi 4SL/2 and that this company do a workshop manual on CD for same:

http://www.diamonddiesels.co.uk/

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Have no experience with that engine, but if there are any crankcase/rocker cover breathers/strainers check they are clear and not gunged up.

Otherwise the crankcase can pressurise and tend to blow oil past seals.

cheers,

Pete.

Hi,

Have no experience with that engine, but if there are any crankcase/rocker cover breathers/strainers check they are clear and not gunged up.

Otherwise the crankcase can pressurise and tend to blow oil past seals.

cheers,

Pete.

Good point sir. There is definitely one on the side of the rockcer cover, can't remember any more, but am sure there must be.

I am not familiar with the Vetus Engine, but it is a fairly common problem on the BMC 1.5 engine. Some people recommend that you maintain the oil level marginally above the minimum mark on the dip stick to reduce the problem, it certainly helps on my BMC 1.5 engine.

Edited by David Schweizer

Well worth checking the breathers as other members have mentioned. Had the same issue on my Beta10 a couple of years ago. After purchasing the boat we too had the tell tale drip drip. Turned out that a piece of rag had been drawn around the pulley at some time and had damaged the seal.

We managed to get ours replaced without removing the engine, there was just enough room forward to the bulkhead. Alturnativley, with the prop shaft/gearbox disengaged would there be enough room to side the engine backwards, so that there is no need to hoist the engine.