Breakdown cover

BODs SR2

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, r-harris said:

Is there any alternative to River Canal Rescue. 

Why do you ask? Have you had a bad experience? Just shopping around/Looking for something cheaper?

There was a thread a while ago about the service provided by RCR. IIRC it was mostly good, with a few not so good.

I carry toolbox, control cables, a stack of various washers and nuts and bolts. I can do a certain amount of repairs, but anything genuinely technical I ring RCR, who sometimes are very good indeed and sometimes take one look at the Lister and retire looking baffled. But they paid two grand towards gearbox repairs, so I reckon I'm well up on the deal. They're the only option.

• Greenie 1

I'm still near the boatyard at Thorne, so they came out, did repair, brought diesel, annual service, so that has worked for me, so far. Being up North, I think repairs will be standard cost, £45, per hour of work.

I might use the RCR in future, but not sure, I'm unlikely to be stranded, touch lignin vitae. 

Been with RCR for 9 years on our own boat and, previously, 7 years on a shared boat. Have called them out several times over the years and have never had a problem. Always let us know when the engineer would be with us and the job was done. I suppose it's like any insurance policy or vehicle breakdown cover, you hope you never need to use it but very glad it's there when you do. All very well saying have a good tool kit and spares ( good advice which I adhere to ) but not everyone has the technical know how to carry out technical repairs.

8 hours ago, colmac said:

All very well saying have a good tool kit and spares ( good advice which I adhere to ) but not everyone has the technical know how to carry out technical repairs.

I agree with Colmac. I've used RCR for the last 4 years.

We have had 2 throtle cables replaced and there is no way I could have sussed out how to connect it at the morse control end. I've watched them do it twice and that would be a no go area for me. We sold that boat. I am a muppet though.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree with Colmac. I've used RCR for the last 4 years.

We have had 2 throtle cables replaced and there is no way I could have sussed out how to connect it at the morse control end. I've watched them do it twice and that would be a no go area for me. We sold that boat. I am a muppet though.

The trouble with Morse cables is that while it looks straightforward when you see someone do it, or even do it yourself, it get done so infrequently that next time you've forgotten the whole blasted business. I'm going to ring RCR next time, quoting age and infirmity.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The trouble with Morse cables is that while it looks straightforward when you see someone do it, or even do it yourself, it get done so infrequently that next time you've forgotten the whole blasted business. I'm going to ring RCR next time, quoting age and infirmity.

Agreed. Once approaching the grumpy 70's, one becomes less supple and incapable of figuring out how to get the bloomin' wire in, despite being able to master the Rubik cube in earlier years.

Thanks folks relatively new to this game so just asking. Rebuilt the boat from scratch so proficient at most things but engines and gearboxes do me in. It’s a lister SR2 with LH150 box. I’ll have to ask the RCR about it. Cheers. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, r-harris said:

Thanks folks relatively new to this game so just asking. Rebuilt the boat from scratch so proficient at most things but engines and gearboxes do me in. It’s a lister SR2 with LH150 box. I’ll have to ask the RCR about it. Cheers. 

I  would swot up on your engine and gearbox. the RCR muppet that they send will know nothing about them, especially how the forward gear works.

• Greenie 2

52 minutes ago, r-harris said:

Ah. It's still worth having RCR, but if you call them stress loudly, often, and clearly what your engine is. I've had an RCR bloke take one look and walk away, refusing to touch the gearbox and leaving me stranded even though I offered him the manual open at the relevant page. The guy I called out fixed the problem in five minutes.

Most of their paid employees are very young and know absolutely nothing about Listers. But they also use contractors who do, and they have been brilliant. So be prepared to make a fuss if they send the wrong one - contractors cost more, so they'll try to fob you off.

Of course, for normal stuff, cables, alternators, starter problems they're all fine, and for big stuff (in my case, two major gearbox meltdowns) they are worth their weight in gold.

Don't ever use them for servicing. Listers don't need anything bar an oil and filter change, and they charge a bomb for it. Cheaper at the local boatyard if you don't want to do it yourself.

I would suggest that you get hold of the manual, normally both engine and gearbox are in it, and study how the gearbox works. From what you say you are more than capable of adjusting the ahead clutch clearance and the astern brake band. Apart from keeping the dipsticks for the reduction box and gearbox in their correct box and dealing with the oils there is not much other to do. Built like brick build wotsits. Also remember both boxes use 80 grade gear oil rather than engine oil or ATF used in most other boxes.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Truthful tho.....sometimes it pays to be direct

The RCR engineers I have come across I certainly wouldn't describe as "muppets". Some may be better than others but I think a generalised comment like that is both unkind and unjustified.

• Haha 1

I tend to be from the Arthur Marshall school of boat fixer i.e." carry toolbox, control cables, " I have been an RCR member twice before but never really used them and the once I did the RCR engineer incorrectly fitted a Morse gear cable and had to come back out 10 minutes after leaving. I fitted the next one myself. The second time I joined was because my son was taking the boat and he's not a tool box expert. Considering the cost for peace of mind for big breakdowns I will probably join again when (if) we go off this year on our long-time planned 6 month cruise.

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Truthful tho.....sometimes it pays to be direct

Friend of mine lost drive, lister box and engine, called RCR and he looked in the engine room and said I dont know anything about them and left, didn't even ask him to start it, 3 days later when no one else had visited he called Jonno out from Braunston. It was a tarpaulin on the skeg. The RCR chap didn't even check if the prop shaft was turning or if the keyway had failed on the prop. You couldn't see the tarpaulin through the weed hatch, only in gear and looking at the stern.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1