12v wiring

CLAN1

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Looking to rewire our boat with LED ceiling down lighter lamps and usb plugs  to charge and run phones tablets etc on sides, any advise on what size wires should i use? Thanks in advance

I would use a minimum of 2.5 mm cable although voltdrop wise you could probably get away with lower on your LED lights. The USB, do you intend to have a 5 volt supply you feed to them and also what will be the total load on the circuit, ie are you having several usb outlets on one circuit, as they could each draw several amps at only 5 volts possibly making voltdrop more of a problem

19 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Looking to rewire our boat with LED ceiling down lighter lamps and usb plugs  to charge and run phones tablets etc on sides, any advise on what size wires should i use? Thanks in advance

What is the length of run (total, out & return)?

What max total current will there be (with everything in use) ?

Presumably at 12v and the USB will be dropped down to 5V at the sockets.

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are you aware that the USB sockets will consume some power even with nothing connected? How are you powering them?

Mine don't ?

The switch next to each one sees to that ?

• Greenie 1

Wasn't aware the usb socket will consume power when not in use, will look for switchable. At the moment use a panel with 1@ 5v1a & 1@5v2.1a from the 12v fuse was looking at doubling this to one panel each side. Length for these & ceiling lights will be 40' 

Edited by CLAN1
Additional info

7 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Length for these & ceiling lights will be 40' 

Where are you connecting the power supply from ? (Fuse box, bus bar, direct from the battery etc etc)

40' seems to be a very short run.

Is that TOTAL cable length both out and return and and wiggles, up and downs, across the boat and back down the other side, etc etc ?

How many LEDs and what wattage is each one

Home many USB sockets in total 

You (we) need to look at the worst case with all the lights on and USB sockets in place.

cor didn't realise it would so complicated glad i came on here for advice. Boat is only 48' so not included cockpit or return, so gues 80' + Have lights already on ceiling, old looking round ones & two long LED in kitchen, wanted to fit maybe 4 down lighters in living room. Keep kitchen lights as they are, one down lighter in bedroom at rear.not considered wattage of new lights yet. Feed at mo is from fuses via switch panel and 

Best make sure any LEDs you buy are 10V to 30V DC ones and not 12V ones designed to be driven from a mains driver. The later type have a nasty habit of turning their toes up when presented with 14V + and spikes from pumps turning on and off etc. If you decide you must have 12V ones then feed them from a voltage stabilised circuit.