Boatyard recommendations

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Our boat needs blacking this year, it is 70ft Narrowboat live aboard. Looking for recommendations for a slipway or dry dock that will allow us to stay on board whilst the work is being done. Would rather slipway or dry dock than being craned out as I don’t much like the idea of unnecessary strain being put on the hull by lifting.

Also need a spot of welding done on the diesel tank at the same time,

currently we are in The Milton Keynes area but are planning to head up through the midlands (providing this bloody lockdown ends) over the summer and was thinking of trying to book the blacking for late autumn.

Was thinking the further away from London the more reasonable the price would be, or perhaps I’m being unrealistic.

So any ideas for a boatyard that accommodates 70ft live aboards, does a good quality job without bending me over the boats barrel for the price?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

So any ideas for a boatyard that accommodates 70ft live aboards, does a good quality job without bending me over the boats barrel for the price?

You will not find anywhere that does a better job than

Trevethicks in Nottingham

Address: Gregory St, Nottingham NG7 2NP

Phone: 0115 978 3467

Dry dock, elect & water provided can stay on board. Blacking takes a full 7 days and they do a proper job.

Dry dock is wide enough for two boats and they will often have 2 in at the same time.

The problem is that they tend to be booked up at least 12 months in Advance, but considering the current circu,stances they may not be this year.

They are a traditional boatyard with traditional values and workmanship (have been going since (from memory) the late 1800's and in that dock since 1906

Produce wooden boats and steam shape their own wood.

5 minute walk to the nearest Tram-stop, minutes from the centre of Nottingham & not far to the Main line railway station

CAM00042.jpg

CAM00052.jpg

CAM00063.jpg

CAM00070.jpg

CAM00040.jpg

Screenshot (207).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

We allow liveaboards to stay onboard at Langley Mill Boatyard at the top of the Erewash, and have a couple of gaps in the diary, if it fits in with your schedule.

Give us a call or drop a message for current availability.

Kind regards

Dan

www.langleymillboatyard.co.uk 

01773 760758

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, stagedamager said:

We allow liveaboards to stay onboard at Langley Mill Boatyard at the top of the Erewash, and have a couple of gaps in the diary, if it fits in with your schedule.

Kind regards

Dan

01773 760758

I like this place.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

If you wanted something more local, try Roger Farrington in Braunston.

https://www.braunstonboats.com/

Alnwick was blacked there in July 2018. Prior to that we were there approximately every two years and were always treated well - they provided an electrical hook-up and a set of steps so that we could live on board during the work. We haven't been back since Phil and Sue Abbott left but are sure the facilities are the same.

July 2018.jpg

Edited by NB Alnwick
Images added

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

I wouldn't go anywhere else. Good honest friendly old fashioned service.

Who is doing it now, Justin did ours there a couple of times. I have also been to Bottom Lock Dry dock and Streethay Wharf. The last time out was at Northwich which is a lovely drydock, I don't do the work myself.

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Who is doing it now, Justin did ours there a couple of times. I have also been to Bottom Lock Dry dock and Streethay Wharf. The last time out was at Northwich which is a lovely drydock, I don't do the work myself.

Justin did ours in 2011, 2013, and 2015, Justin was around when we had it done in 2018 but I don't remember him working on our boat.

We were contacted by Juliet Bates of Braunstone Boats in November 2019 suggesting that we should book in for blacking 2020 and, had it not been for subsequent events we would have booked . . .

3 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

We haven't been back since Phil and Sue Abbott left but are sure the facilities are the same.

I think you will find that Phil and Sue were not involved in the blacking operations apart from some of the bookings and billings.  Roger leads the blacking and steelwork activities and always has to the best of my knowledge, he now deals with bookings and billing directly.

12 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Kind regards

Dan

01773 760758

This is were I would be going. Brilliant dock, brilliant service, brilliant prices, and lovely couple and an easy jaunt in a day from Trent lock. Had mine done there 3 years ago.

On 25/02/2021 at 23:16, Bewildered said:

Our boat needs blacking this year, it is 70ft Narrowboat live aboard. Looking for recommendations for a slipway or dry dock that will allow us to stay on board whilst the work is being done. Would rather slipway or dry dock than being craned out as I don’t much like the idea of unnecessary strain being put on the hull by lifting.

Also need a spot of welding done on the diesel tank at the same time,

currently we are in The Milton Keynes area but are planning to head up through the midlands (providing this bloody lockdown ends) over the summer and was thinking of trying to book the blacking for late autumn.

Was thinking the further away from London the more reasonable the price would be, or perhaps I’m being unrealistic.

Thanks

I can highly recommend both Alvecote Marina and Glascote Dock. I've stayed aboard at Glascote, you'd need to check if you can with Alvecote. Both yards were very efficient, concientious and thorough. Coventry canal.

On 26/02/2021 at 09:53, Nightwatch said:

I like this place.

I agree, but would add Willowbridge in Milton Keynes. They crane out though, people can stay. We did our own blacking there.

Langley Mill is great though, and Dan is helpful and friendly!!! Erewash was worth the trip too!