Original BWB logos

SE Barlow

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The BW font from the 1972 BWB Waterway Environment Handbook.

BW font.jpg

probably wouldn’t be too hard to find the base font and then make the mods as above, just need a spare couple of hours and a copy of Fontographer or similar

On 26/02/2021 at 15:45, Heartland said:

It is  useful logo, which reflects the waterways image, whilst the bridge and rushes is selective for canals

I think the problem I have with it is a philosophical one.  The new logo marked a transition from the maintenance of navigation as the defining ethos to the promotion of well-being for all.  On the subject of rushes, they have absolutely no place on a well-maintained canal in my opinion.  There are far too many places on the system where reed succession has narrowed the channel to a single narrow-boat width.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

probably wouldn’t be too hard to find the base font and then make the mods as above, just need a spare couple of hours and a copy of Fontographer or similar

There will be one........ that is a future person whom, as a passer-by, will spot it's not quite kosher!  :)

Edited by mark99

12 hours ago, Pluto said:

The BW font from the 1972 BWB Waterway Environment Handbook.

As written by the late Peter White - someone else within BWB to whom we have a great deal to be thankful for. I've put my (grandfather's) copy of that book in such a safe place I can't currently find it.....

It is not however the font used for "British Waterways Board" when accompanying the half moustache!

15 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

As written by the late Peter White - someone else within BWB to whom we have a great deal to be thankful for. I've put my (grandfather's) copy of that book in such a safe place I can't currently find it.....

It is not however the font used for "British Waterways Board" when accompanying the half moustache!

If you're looking for a book that's maybe why you can't find it. Mine is a collection of loose sheets in a blue ring binder -I think they were all like that.

I agree that Peter was a great person. I had the privilege to work with him at Hillmorton for 6 months about 25 years ago. He was very modest and quiet and a little embarrassed that I knew much about what he'd done previously.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

The typeface as show is very similar (one or two slight variations) that London Transport used - Johnston, named after Edward Johnston the originator. Commissioned by Frank Pick in 1913.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35916807

Looks like Twentieth Century to me by Sol Hess, main changes seem to be the numbers and £, probably to make them more monospaced for signage. The more modern equivalent would be Century Gothic which was based on Twentieth Century.

TwentiethCentury.gif

CenturyGothic.gif

Edited by Hudds Lad
  • Greenie 1