Live aboard looking to move can’t work out if there is a SSA in place

MrsBee

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have a brand new live aboard. Been in the water for 6 days, looking to move 2 locks along the river nene to our new mooring marina. 
I've called the EA and listened to the voice message for SSA, but I am still unsure if this means we should move the boat or not. 
There are no flood warnings, the river levels are within green normal ranges but ssa is for Northampton to Peterborough. The whole of the nene. 

Are SSA’s placed on sections of the nene river or all of it.? Do I go by marina flags or SSA ? 

sorry if above sounds stupid I just don’t want to move and it is the wrong thing to do. 

EA (river inspectors) have given me permission to move as it’s my home during covid. This took some lengthy communications but I want to do things right and safely. 

Any advice please greatly appreciated 

All you need to do is find if the intervening locks are reversed or not. If not, and not locked off either, then it is probably down to your own river experience and knowledge as to whether the section is do-able.

Give John at Becketts Park marina a call, he will know the latest flows.

Edited by matty40s

We need to cover two locks cogenhoe and Whiston and we have a boat mover although we are experienced with narrowboats and tiller. This is WideBeam and wheel. Just looking for a safe passage will call John. Many Thanks ? 

As far as I can tell from the phone messages SSA is still on, I would err on the side of caution.

I assume that the journey is Billing to White Mills, the bridge at the exit of Billing will be "interesting" if there is any flow on, the approaches to the two locks are fairly sheltered unlike Ditchford ?

Haha I can assure you I am not your Mrs Bee I definitely belong to a different Mr Bee. 

Thank you Loddon yes billing to white mills. The boat mover will move on amber but don’t think his insurance covers him on a red. We obviously are insured ourselves but like you say the first bridge out is low. 

our draft including air draft and mushroom vents is 8’2.

Edited by MrsBee
Spelling

18 minutes ago, MrsBee said:

The boat mover will move on amber but don’t think his insurance covers him on a red. We obviously are insured ourselves but like you say the first bridge out is low. 

Just for future reference, you may find that your own insurance is invalid if you move on "Red" boards, in the event of a claim it would suggest that you have been 'negligent' and ignored 'professional advice'.

22 hours ago, Loddon said:

As far as I can tell from the phone messages SSA is still on, I would err on the side of caution.

I assume that the journey is Billing to White Mills, the bridge at the exit of Billing will be "interesting" if there is any flow on, the approaches to the two locks are fairly sheltered unlike Ditchford ?

Coming out of Billing to go upstream with a full length breasted pair is even more fun!!

• Greenie 2

Thank you to all who messaged with very helpful advice and info on this thread. You will be pleased to hear we made it to our moorings, beautiful day yesterday weather was kind, river levels were low and cogenhoe lock was open and working well. We are home...... ??

6857A10C-F90F-46E8-B812-EAA9C3615D4E.jpeg

Edited by MrsBee
  • Greenie 2