Stove Fan ..... pistons and everything....

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Just got recommended this video. Whilst it is an attractive fan I wouldn't personally spend that much on one and feel that although he says he's not got a kick back from this advert, looks like he may have it for free?  I know how you all love discussing these fans so thought you'd all love this!

I don't really get it. He said he was sick of going through stove fans that stopped working. I thought ordinary stove fans lasted for years? Also until he's tested it over a few years I think he might be speaking too soon. All those moving parts...

Edited by blackrose

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't really get it. He said he was sick of going through stove fans that stopped working. I thought ordinary stove fans lasted for years? Also until he's tested it over a few years I think he might be speaking too soon. All those moving parts...

looks well made - reminds me of those executive desk toys - newtons cradle etc...

it comes with a maintenance kit, so maybe the screws come lose a lot!

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The genuine Ecofans last for ages. Ours on the boat was still going strong after several years of use and that was despite it falling off the stove a few times. It got a bit imbalanced due to the knocks but it still worked.

The same model we have at home is now three and a half years old and it is as good as the day we bought it (Because the house doesn't move in the same way a boat does).

I do feel uncomfortable with YouTube videos where people advertise products, but it is not clear it is a 'paid' for advert. I've taken it up with him on YouTube.

He's been sent this expensive fan, free of charge with absolutely 'no conditions or requirements to advertise it'. They know he's a YouTuber scrapping around for content in these lean times so of course he will push it. His replies to me seem a little naïve in that he's not twigged why they sent him one for free (or he's unwilling to discuss).... 

I've no problems if its all above board - he gets a free fan, the supplier gets more custom, everyone wins (well almost, as the viewer may not be getting a balanced view), but it has to be clear.......

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I do feel uncomfortable with YouTube videos where people advertise products, but it is not clear it is a 'paid' for advert. I've taken it up with him on YouTube.

He's been sent this expensive fan, free of charge with absolutely 'no conditions or requirements to advertise it'. They know he's a YouTuber scrapping around for content in these lean times so of course he will push it. His replies to me seem a little naïve in that he's not twigged why they sent him one for free (or he's unwilling to discuss).... 

I've no problems if its all above board - he gets a free fan, the supplier gets more custom, everyone wins (well almost, as the viewer may not be getting a balanced view), but it has to be clear.......

I seem to recall You Tube has come in for criticism recently from the ASA because it's not always clear that products are being endorsed by people who are being paid to do it.

300 quid for a stove fan, really?

https://warpfivefans.com/product/sidewinder-small-heat-powered-stove-fan/?attribute_colour=Red&gclid=Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldUE9F3A2U04JTZhoeS48jkyldXPgriaxBbaxy9pIFUeC_GYwnacb4IaApniEALw_wcB

Reminds me of those little home made windmill thingys beloved of old blokes with a shed and a garden in the 1950's, propeller drove a crank with a little wooden man pumping water or something. Hmm, now thats a lockdown project, I could make a really obscene one with the little man doing something else........  Right, I'm off to the shed! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Watched about 30secs skipping through to find which Stirling fan it is.

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible desire to smack him in the gob to shut him up.

You have more forebearance than me, I lasted about 10 seconds!

The design is, well shall we say, more "artistic" than engineered. If you want a real Stirling engined fan try to find an original "Kayko" -- if you can afford it!

10 hours ago, Bee said:

Reminds me of those little home made windmill thingys beloved of old blokes with a shed and a garden in the 1950's, propeller drove a crank with a little wooden man pumping water or something. Hmm, now thats a lockdown project, I could make a really obscene one with the little man doing something else........  Right, I'm off to the shed! 

My father used to tell me about the one his parents had during the war - a Hitler lookalike winding the handle on a picture-book style well, with the windmill on the other end of the shaft. When the wind was blowing strongly they said it was making 'Little Adolf' work hard!

• Greenie 1

On 25/02/2021 at 10:46, blackrose said:

You too would be saying all other fans are crap if the manufacturer had sent you one of these for free.

This is the Vlogger that whinges they had no money and ended up with a new boat, new solar system, new fire and a £200+ fan on top. 

• 3 weeks later...

These are a waste of money for boats, I borrowed one from a friend to compare with my Caframo Ecofan, the fire needs to be well lit to get it going and must be kept at the fans operating temp to maintain operation. Gave up as the Caframo started basically straight away and just kept running.

These are designed for house stoves not for boats, I would be gutted if I paid nearly £250 for one these and the novelty of the pistons soon wears off. 
  The kid from “Boating Beyond” Vlog got it from the Company for free, Please  take no notice of the review and get a Caframo if you need one as far better for a Narrowboat.

Edited by PD1964

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a JTF 19.99 chinese eco fan knockoff a couple of years ago - cheap and nasty but seems to work...  the one at home as been running virtually non stop since october as it did last year.  probably gets knocked off the stove once a month by me or SWMBO who suffers from the clumsy gene and still working.  so lets see call it 3 years for 20 quid, so if I buy another 15 then I would have been better off with the £300 quid stirling engine which will payback  in 45 years on that basis - nope another jtf special then... 

incidentally I bought 5 peltier effect devices (the things what make eco fans and others go) for about a fiver of fleabay, a 1.5 v motor for 85p, a plastic mount for the same motor, think that was 40p and then found a load of cpu heat sinks for some old computers and started to make my own fan when I saw the JTF one and decided that when that packed up I'd use the fan off it  with my bits.... so far they are still in the 'projects' box in garage...

On 26/02/2021 at 19:53, PD1964 said:

This is the Vlogger that whinges they had no money and ended up with a new boat, new solar system, new fire and a £200+ fan on top. 

They have also sent him an instrument called a "fermometer", apparently.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

They have also sent him an instrument called a "fermometer", apparently.

Yes another £70 freebie, I have never seen these on boats and no one else I know has. Yet he says the company knows all about boats? and he knows several boaters that have them. Obviously Warpfive are giving these away quite freely then.

Edited by PD1964

He makes so many unsubstantiated claims about how reliable it is when he's basically just got it out the box. And it's as though he's just reading off the manufacturers website about it being hand made etc.

I've seen a couple of their other vlogs and what's obvious is that the guy is completely inexperienced when it comes to boats. He talks a lot but he doesn't actually know anything and has to get people in to do even the simplest jobs on their boat.

Edited by blackrose

On 25/02/2021 at 11:12, Loddon said:

Watched about 30secs skipping through to find which Stirling fan it is.

Does anyone else have an almost irresistible desire to smack him in the gob to shut him up.

I could bear to listen to him!  Poor chap.

N