Teddington to Brentford

cornishdave

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I realise this has been covered before so apologies for going over old ground but I just wanted to make sure I've got it straight...

Planning a trip on the Thames ring in August and am thinking about the tidal part - high tide at London Bridge is around 05:00 GMT, so allowing an hour for BST and another hour for the tide to get to Teddington that means I should be looking to go through Teddington lock around 07:00 which will get us to Brentford around 09:00. Do I have that right?

If so a follow up question - 07:00 is a little early (?), how far can one push these timings?

Cheers

Dave

If he's only doing Teddington to Brentford then that bit of the river is mostly very quiet. Brentford lock has to be worked by CRT so will need to be booked but I would hope that 9 is not too early for them.

If you are not experienced then doing the trip in the other direction is much easier.

............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

If he's only doing Teddington to Brentford then that bit of the river is mostly very quiet. Brentford lock has to be worked by CRT so will need to be booked but I would hope that 9 is not too early for them.

If you are not experienced then doing the trip in the other direction is much easier.

............Dave

Harder to steer in reverse. Yes it is easier to go the other way around as you come up from Brentford as it opens but it depends on where he his starting the journey. We often use to be at Richmond Half lock going down stream as they opened the barrier. You then have to punch the tide to Brentford. Make sure its not a spring tide.

Teddington to Brentford or vice versa is a fairly easy journey whichever direction you're travelling.  It's easier if you don't have to use Richmond lock and whenever I've left Teddington it's generally just before slack water so you're punching the end of the flood tide for the first 20 mins or so, and then you've got slack water for 15 mins before the ebb tide starts. That means you've got plenty of water and don't need to use Richmond lock and also the ebb isn't running out that fast for the turn into Brentford. It can feel quite alarming if you've never felt your boat moving sideways down the river before, but that turn into Brentford is pretty tame really compared to what it's like turning across the further downstream at Limehouse.

You should talk to the Teddington lockkeeper the day before and he'll give you his recommendations, but ultimately as skipper it's up to you. Make sure that Thames Lock at Brentford knows your are coming. 

As others have noted, I would leave a bit before HW. Also, you need to get to Brentford before 0900 as that is when the lock shuts. Booking is via the CRT website now, let me know if you can't find the link. Actually, here it is

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/boating-facilities/locks-to-the-river-thames

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/booking-your-passage-online  

14 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As others have noted, I would leave a bit before HW. Also, you need to get to Brentford before 0900 as that is when the lock shuts. Booking is via the CRT website now, let me know if you can't find the link. Actually, here it is

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/boating-facilities/locks-to-the-river-thames

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/booking-your-passage-online  

??

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS looking at the August booking slots, CRT seem to only offer slots on morning tides that are 0700 GMT and later.

For example on August 16th HWLB is 0700 BST, so 0900 BST at Brentford, and their slot opens at 0715 (which is fine for people going upstream, you will be arriving later). On the previous day (HWLB 0600 GMT) there is no morning slot offered, just 6.15 pm. Urgh.

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

??

Brentford is only useable 2 hours either side of HW, so on that date would be 0500-0900 if HW Brentford and Teddington is at 0700.  In practice (see later post) they are not offering slots that early on the booking system.

8 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

PS looking at the August booking slots, CRT seem to only offer slots on morning tides that are 0700 GMT and later.

For example on August 16th HWLB is 0700 BST, so 0900 BST at Brentford, and their slot opens at 0715 (which is fine for people going upstream, you will be arriving later). On the previous day (HWLB 0600 GMT) there is no morning slot offered, just 6.15 pm. Urgh.

Brentford is only useable 2 hours either side of HW, so on that date would be 0500-0900 if HW Brentford and Teddington is at 0700.  In practice (see later post) they are not offering slots that early on the booking system.

Sorry, I did not realise you were talking about a specific date!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks all, this is very helpful.

I'm looking at the 28th Aug, which gives high tide LB 05:15 GMT (so if I'm right 07:15 BST at Teddington). CRT passage booking has 07:15 as the time slot (if you select the correct direction first) - given high tide is at 07:15 would I be correct in assuming the passage booking time slot is arrival at Teddington and not Brentford (if going downstream)?

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Thanks all, this is very helpful.

I'm looking at the 28th Aug, which gives high tide LB 05:15 GMT (so if I'm right 07:15 BST at Teddington). CRT passage booking has 07:15 as the time slot (if you select the correct direction first) - given high tide is at 07:15 would I be correct in assuming the passage booking time slot is arrival at Teddington and not Brentford (if going downstream)?

Thanks, I had not spotted the need to selection direction of travel, that is rather neat. 

The slot will be for your arrival at Brentford. Teddington is (normally) open 24/7, and there is no need to book there. For reasons others have noted you will probably arrive a bit later than HW. The slots seem to be defined as HW-2 to HW (for going upstream) and HW to HW+2 for going downstream.

5 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks, I had not spotted the need to selection direction of travel, that is rather neat. 

The slot will be for your arrival at Brentford. Teddington is (normally) open 24/7, and there is no need to book there. For reasons others have noted you will probably arrive a bit later than HW. The slots seem to be defined as HW-2 to HW (for going upstream) and HW to HW+2 for going downstream.

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but as the slot is 07:15 that would mean arrive at Teddington at 05:15 which is 2 hours before high tide?

9 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but as the slot is 07:15 that would mean arrive at Teddington at 05:15 which is 2 hours before high tide?

I don't think so (though that is the best time of the day on the river!). 

The slot is for 15 boats which would  take a good 60-90 minutes to lock through. I would leave Teddington at about 6, to get to Brentford about 0730.

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

I always say this...... don't miss the 'effing turn at Brentford. It's not well defined. Luckily Google Earth or Street View covers that bit of Thames so you can do it virtually. Look for the stainless piece of art on the bank for the  handy "where to turn" marker.

Enjoy, lovely bit of river. Watch out for floating dead sheep, logs etc.

Edited by mark99

By the way, has anyone mentioned anchors? You do have an anchor and an appropriate length of chain/rope for the journey don't you?

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Take time to enjoy the trip. Lovely bit of cruising. Richmond is lovely.

I've been past Richmond a couple of times on a hot summer's day and it was packed with people sitting by the river. It's a great sight from a boat. Watch out for the clueless rowers though.

16 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I don't think so (though that is the best time of the day on the river!). 

The slot is for 15 boats which would  take a good 60-90 minutes to lock through. I would leave Teddington at about 6, to get to Brentford about 0730.

Ah. My original plan was for 07:00, but was hoping to push it a bit later - turns out that wasn't early enough ?. Glad I asked though

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

By the way, has anyone mentioned anchors? You do have an anchor and an appropriate length of chain/rope for the journey don't you?

I didn't mention originally but this is a hire boat - spoken to the boatyard already about this and that's all ok (but obviously I will be checking before setting off)

11 hours ago, mark99 said:

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

I always say this...... don't miss the 'effing turn at Brentford. It's not well defined. Luckily Google Earth or Street View covers that bit of Thames so you can do it virtually

Yeah I've been looking at various sites and videos to scope out that turn. When would you recommend one starts turning, when level with the entrance to Brentford Dock Marina?

Many thanks for all the advice

Dave

2 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Ah. My original plan was for 07:00, but was hoping to push it a bit later - turns out that wasn't early enough ?. Glad I asked though

I didn't mention originally but this is a hire boat - spoken to the boatyard already about this and that's all ok (but obviously I will be checking before setting off)

Yeah I've been looking at various sites and videos to scope out that turn. When would you recommend one starts turning, when level with the entrance to Brentford Dock Marina?

Many thanks for all the advice

Dave

That sounds about right for turning. It all depends on the strength of the outbound current. I would slow right down before you get to Brentford Dock marina, ideally just drift with the boat stationary in the water, so you can judge the speed of the current. Then apply power to make a 180 degree turn to the left so you are facing upstream, and then if necessary let the current carry you backwards a bit until you are level with the entrance to the creek. It's better to turn too early rather than too late - adjusting for the former is much easier than the latter.
Then apply a bit of power until you stop moving over the ground, and  you can steer slightly to the right (what is called a ferry glide) and you will then move sideways across the north half of the river. You don't want to cut the corner too tight just in case there is something coming out of the creek. 

Hope that makes sense! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

That sounds about right for turning. It all depends on the strength of the outbound current. I would slow right down before you get to Brentford Dock marina, ideally just drift with the boat stationary in the water, so you can judge the speed of the current. Then apply power to make a 180 degree turn to the left so you are facing upstream, and then if necessary let the current carry you backwards a bit until you are level with the entrance to the creek. It's better to turn too early rather than too late - adjusting for the former is much easier than the latter.
Then apply a bit of power until you stop moving over the ground, and  you can steer slightly to the right (what is called a ferry glide) and you will then move sideways across the north half of the river. You don't want to cut the corner too tight just in case there is something coming out of the creek. 

Hope that makes sense! 

It does, beautifully explained thanks.

• Greenie 1