Beta Marine JD3 manual

JLees

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, JLees said:

Has anyone got a notion of how I might get hold of an operating manual for the JD3? Thanks:)

It is a John Deere 3029DF150 engine that Beta sell as the JD3.

I understand that Beta never did their own manual for that engine

Here is the manual (346 pages) for the base JD engine - hopefully it will help you.

JOHN DEERE WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR ENGINE 3029 by Power Generation - issuu

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

DMR is your man, I am sure he will help you. Search for him on this forum

Here I am!

Beta did a little owners manual, it covers stuff like installation, oil changes and tappet adjustment. They might be able to sell you one. If you have a specific question then I could do a photo of the relevant page..

As Alan says, get the John Deere 3029 manual for more details/engine rebuild stuff, its available for free download though probably not officially. Note there is more than one version which can be a bit confusing.

...............Dave

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Here is the manual (346 pages) for the base JD engine - hopefully it will help you.

Thanks Alan! I did wonder whether that might be the case

45 minutes ago, dmr said:

Here I am!

Beta did a little owners manual, it covers stuff like installation, oil changes and tappet adjustment. They might be able to sell you one. If you have a specific question then I could do a photo of the relevant page..

As Alan says, get the John Deere 3029 manual for more details/engine rebuild stuff, its available for free download though probably not officially. Note there is more than one version which can be a bit confusing.

...............Dave

Thanks Dave, I’ll rattle Beta’s cage - see if I can get something out of them:) But failing that might indeed get back to you for a photo or two . Cheers

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Oooh I can feel a pedant moment coming on.

Its the DF120 that Beta use, which in non emissions certified.

For various reasons we actually have the 150 (emission certified) which has a slightly more complicated injection pump and different injectors. However because the JD3 runs slower than John Deere ever intended I doubt that the emission things do very much. It might run just a little nicer but its hard to tell.

.................Dave

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There is a workshop manual at      https://issuu.com/emirpjanic/docs/john_deere_engine_wm_mar06_rev_0

But you cannot download it, just read it.

Maybe you should take folk off ignore, that link is the same as I posted yesterday.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, JLees said:

Found copy of the operating manual as PDF if anyone needs it please message. In meantime I’ll try and find way of posting it here. Thanks fr help everyone!

You should just be able to attach it to a post.  The forum, post the last upgrade,  is now accepting pdf files as attachments.  Not larger than 1013.17 MB though.

N

• 2 years later...
On 25/02/2021 at 11:24, dmr said:

Oooh I can feel a pedant moment coming on.

Its the DF120 that Beta use, which in non emissions certified.

For various reasons we actually have the 150 (emission certified) which has a slightly more complicated injection pump and different injectors. However because the JD3 runs slower than John Deere ever intended I doubt that the emission things do very much. It might run just a little nicer but its hard to tell.

.................Dave

Changing the subject slightly has anyone changed the throttle cable on a jd3 ? 
mice just bought a boat with a jd3 and the throttle connection looks well buried behind the top of the fuel pump. And tips on how to go about this would be appreciated.
Thanks 

Arthur.

Can you send a picture, it sounds like a non standard installation.

The throttle cable end fixes to a lever on the injection pump and it should have good easy access, the outer fixes to a bracket that also hold the gearbox oil cooler, and again full and easy access.

I think ours is one of the very first JD3's but I doubt if things have changed much (or maybe they have).

• Greenie 1

On 13/10/2023 at 16:27, dmr said:

Can you send a picture, it sounds like a non standard installation.

The throttle cable end fixes to a lever on the injection pump and it should have good easy access, the outer fixes to a bracket that also hold the gearbox oil cooler, and again full and easy access.

I think ours is one of the very first JD3's but I doubt if things have changed much (or maybe they have).

IMG_9737.jpeg

The outside cable is the stop the throttle is in behind.

I’m not sure it’s a beta tug engine and as far as I know it’s a jd3 , I don’t know that info could be wrong but the throttle cable looks a right bbb to do . I don’t need the change it as of yet but I don’t fancy stripping part of the engine to get at it .

Find the full engine number. If it has Crk3 in the number then it is a BD3. Or can you see any Ford symbols on the castings. Mine has and its a Bd3. What age is it ?

I have Beta manuals for the BD3 and parts manual for Crk3 ( the lister version) of the Ford engine

5 hours ago, dmr said:

This is not a JD3  ( Imight regret that statement 😀)

Could it be a BD3???

That looks very much like mine

4 hours ago, 1stArthur said:

I’m not sure it’s a beta tug engine and as far as I know it’s a jd3 , I don’t know that info could be wrong but the throttle cable looks a right bbb to do . I don’t need the change it as of yet but I don’t fancy stripping part of the engine to get at it .

Mine is fiddely, behind the  fuel filter and sedimentor

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That looks very much like mine

Mine is fiddely, behind the  fuel filter and sedimentor

injector.jpg