Hello. Soon to be narrow boat owner.

Chris Debois

Featured Posts

I wanted to be able to view the scenery so I installed 9 windows in my 60ft NB, 6 of them 48" wide which is wider than some, 2 x 36" wide, and 1 x 18" (or was it 24"?) in the bathroom, all 24" deep rather than the common 18" so they go nearer the gunnels, and I built in an extra large dinette for good measure.   From time to time I block off some of those windows that I don't need with Celotex batts, which ones varies with the years.  If I was liveaboard and seen it all I might well have gone for small portholes which gives more wall space and better security.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Debois said:

Walking the towpath locally yesterday I met a chap refurbishing a pretty 45ft boat and got chatting. It will be ready in about a month, it is right on budget and the layout is good for me. Very hopeful. ?

Looks to be a very 'dated' boat what age is it and have you had a hull survey ?

28 minutes ago, Chris Debois said:

1981. It has been taken out of the water and blacked with new anodes. This was all videoed by the chap refurbishing the boat. I haven't personally had a survey done (Yet) Very early stages at the moment.

If you are intending to have comprehensive insurance then your insurers will demand a full survey.

At 40 years old the hull is the most imprtant part of the boat - a bit of new worktop and a tin of paint internally does not a new boat make.

13 hours ago, Chagall said:

Clever way to fix the gangplank. ?

Not uncommon - but you have to remember that the mooring stake is there!

1 hour ago, Chris Debois said:

No, 40 years old and sanded back and given a *new* coat of primer before repainting.

I think Mr. Mack was joking.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Doesn't everyone do that? Having spent years on the Macclesfield saucer shaped ditch having to gangplank all the time I thought it was normal.

It was new to me ... it certainly would hurt if you forgot it was there! 

57 minutes ago, Chagall said:

It was new to me ... it certainly would hurt if you forgot it was there! 

Yes, well we tend to use one without the loop and knock it all the way in! A milk bottle on it would save the ankles a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2021 at 20:13, Chris Debois said:

Walking the towpath locally yesterday I met a chap refurbishing a pretty 45ft boat and got chatting. It will be ready in about a month, it is right on budget and the layout is good for me. Very hopeful. ?

20210303_201235.jpg

Deposit paid. My first boat will be ready in about 3-4 weeks. ? It's a 1981 Hancock & Lane Norseman, and once the work has been completed, will come complete with a full safety certificate. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

I've decided on a name for my new old boat and have been having some fun with designs, too. I have the equipment to print decals or make the stencils which will enable me to spray/paint the design onto the boat. Not sure which option to take?

20210318_210918.jpg

On 17/03/2021 at 20:47, Chris Debois said:

Deposit paid. My first boat will be ready in about 3-4 weeks. ? It's a 1981 Hancock & Lane Norseman, and once the work has been completed, will come complete with a full safety certificate. 

Hancock & Lane have good hulls. A friend of mine had a H&L boat that was early 70’s. A very good hull. The boat was a bit of a mess, but had a good hull. What engine has your proposed purchase have? 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hancock & Lane have good hulls. A friend of mine had a H&L boat that was early 70’s. A very good hull. The boat was a bit of a mess, but had a good hull. What engine has your proposed purchase have? 

That's very reassuring about the hull. It's been out of the water, tested for steel thickness, blacked and with new anodes. It has a 1.5 BMC diesel so parts are plentiful, I should think.