Hello. Soon to be narrow boat owner.

Chris Debois

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Very few burglars could fit through a 12" porthole, going by what data I can find -- about 90% of shoulder width seems to be the limit according to cavers.

But maybe your dogs are also more obedient than ones passing by on the towpath?

They're good dogs. ?

20210130_195713.jpg

• Greenie 2

Just now, Chris Debois said:

Haha. ?

Could be worse -- a couple of years back next door's dog (yes a collie, with the same glint in the eye as yours...) stole their Xmas turkey (which was resting covered on the worktop after being cooked) and had wolfed a good part of it down before being spotted... ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Speaking from personal experience of these boats, it is fairly rare -- but when you *need* to do it, you're often in a *big* hurry.

Which is exactly when you trip over the dropped section and (very nearly) fall in. Don't ask me how I know... ?

Painting one of them is a nightmare, even though you know it's there when you start, you're mind isnt concentrating on a dropped gunnel when you are going along the handrail backwards with a small brush......

After several coats of paint you would think you had learnt.... 

So, these are the places I'm looking at the moment - Apollo Duck, Great Haywood, Whilton, Rugby Boats, ABNB.

I'm not sure about buying privately without some form of security a dealer would give but, like buying a car privately, I suppose a bargain can be found?

Are there any other dealers/marinas/websites that can be recommended for my search?

Chris.

15 minutes ago, Chris Debois said:

Are there any other dealers/marinas/websites that can be recommended for my search?

Chris.

You have probably got most of them covered - bearing in mind that some of the brokers you haven't mentioned will advertise their boats on Apollo Duck anyway.

16 minutes ago, Chris Debois said:

So, these are the places I'm looking at the moment - Apollo Duck, Great Haywood, Whilton, Rugby Boats, ABNB.

I'm not sure about buying privately without some form of security a dealer would give but, like buying a car privately, I suppose a bargain can be found?

Chris.

Brokers give zero security. They are just an advertising agency.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Brokers give zero security. They are just an advertising agency.

That is the unfortunate thing, newbies expect brokers to be working for them, and not for the seller.

The broker cannot do anything to prove 'ownership' that a buyer cannot do themselves. There is no 'register of boats'.

The broker does not legally have to tell you of any problems with the boat (but many will)

Some brokers lie.

The broker is simply an introductory service, finding a buyer by advertising.

You will get a far better understanding of the boat and its condition from someone who has owned and used it for many years - an independant surveyor can then be paid to give his opinion of the value and state of the hull.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is the unfortunate thing, newbies expect brokers to be working for them, and not for the seller.

The broker cannot do anything to prove 'ownership' that a buyer cannot do themselves. There is no 'register of boats'.

The broker does not legally have to tell you of any problems with the boat (but many will)

Some brokers lie.

You will get a far better understanding of the boat and its condition from someone who has owned and used it for many years - an independant surveyor can then be paid to give his opinion of the value and state of the hull.

Thank you. ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some brokers lie.

Correct. I am selling my boat soon and will use a broker because I cant be arsed taking fotos and videos and dealing with dreamers ont fone. I will however be dealing personaly with prospective purchaser so I can show the boat properly and answer all questions from a completely factual base.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 25/02/2021 at 16:35, IanD said:

I thought dogging was what happened when a dog sticks its head in through the side door and nicked a sausage?

I suggest that when a dog sees a nice tasty sausage he will do more than just nick it ....   more like chomp it.

...........................  OWWW  !!!          

............................................................    coat    :boat: