Hello. Soon to be narrow boat owner.

Chris Debois

Featured Posts

Hello. I'm just introducing myself because, after a few years thinking and walking the towpaths with my two collies, I will be looking to buy a narrow boat in about 6 weeks time. It will be a hobby/holiday/weekend boat and I will have a maximum of £40,000 to spend. I've been looking online for a few weeks now and have a friend who has an historic boat so he has given me plenty of advice. At the moment I think my preference is for a type of boat with maybe some outside sitting space at the bow. 40ft - 57ft. Preferably not all portholes because I would like the view out when sitting down. Much to consider. Best regards, Chris. ?

I don't think you need a 57ft boat, a shorter boat is cheaper, often easier to turn, and if you ever decide to paint it yourself, you will see the advantage, time, and cost.

If only a weekender you could even get away with a sofa bed, a forty footer, but you are in 'compromise territory'

I am not sure if you will be able to 'buy a hoat' in about six weeks, did you mean, after restrictions are removed you will start viewing, you may be trampled in the rush!

There are many boats with windows, few with all portholes, main consideration in my opinion is foam insulation, and non leaky windows, insulation keeps boat cooler in summer, warmer in winter. I am lining my curtains with insulating curtain material, it makes a big difference.

• Greenie 1

Appollo Duck is a good website imho.

You will find there are very few boats for sale at the moment, who knows what the situation will be in six weeks, folks thinking that their holiday wil be in the UK this year may opt for boating.

It's not a bad idea to keep your eye on tbe market, and ask questions on here, though there is a good sesrch engine for specific, and general queries. 

You may not need a narrowboat for inland cruising, but there is a N / S divide, due to narrow inter-connecting canals.

21 hours ago, Chris Debois said:

Preferably not all portholes because I would like the view out when sitting down. Much to consider. Best regards, Chris. ?

The porthole vs window equation is about light inside rather than view out. We've got big windows and a light wood inside -a few visitors have asked whether we are wider/bigger inside. But when you are sitting inside you will be low down so you'll be looking out at the tops of trees, sky or nearby hills rather than the landscape.

2 hours ago, Opener said:

The porthole vs window equation is about light inside rather than view out. We've got big windows and a light wood inside -a few visitors have asked whether we are wider/bigger inside. But when you are sitting inside you will be low down so you'll be looking out at the tops of trees, sky or nearby hills rather than the landscape.

You must have better eyesight than me!

I only see mud and grass out of my boat windows.

I would like all portholes on my next boat,because I think they look better ,much more "nautical"and less like a floating caravan.

It is also more difficult to gain entry with portholes.

The view outside was a consideration for my boat (although sometimes it's a lot better than other times, and it's also a view in for people on the towpath)

But to actually appreciate it except when standing up, you need a raised dinette (I have one) or to buy yourself some nice tall stools.  

5 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Are your haemorrhoids playing up? Because you are being a complete ar*e at the moment. 

I don't have them. So no.

Both you and the daft lad Mathew jumped in and quoted me, out of the blue,  I merely responded in kind.

Think on, what would have transpired if you hadn't?

If you think for one second I won't respond if somebody has a go at me, think again.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

It’s one thing to respond ‘in kind’ in one thread, quite another to pick a fight in another thread where nobody was talking or thinking of you. 

If you need a fight may I suggest you find a mirror and fill your boots?

Your inability to grasp the point about not jumping in out of the blue is wonderous, bless.

But out of interest why did you feel the need to join in this little disagreement, when previously you were not involved in any way.

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

If only you could see yourself as others see you......

Exactly.  You felt the need to get involved, sad.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Lol.

Quote me the last time I got involved first hand in a disagreement you have had?

I rarely have disagreements here. At least I very rarely vent my spleen in a vindictive manner.

I commented here as I was genuinely shocked at your vitriolic post in a thread where you had hitherto not been involved. You appear to be stalking Matty 40 just to have a pop at him.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

I rarely have disagreements here. At least I very rarely vent my spleen in a vindictive manner.

I commented here as I was genuinely shocked at your vitriolic post in a thread where you had hitherto not been involved. You appear to be stalking Matty 40 just to have a pop at him.

I think you will find its the other way around.

He randomly has a pop at me, completely un provoked.

Its sad for him, but please get your facts straight.

Well Chris, a good introduction to the web site. Don't worry, most of us can answer questions without resorting to bickering with each other. My wife and I have a 45' boat and spend 5 months of the year out with no problems. Good luck with your search.

• Greenie 4

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Lol.

Quote me the last time I got involved first hand in a disagreement you have had?

STFU!!

The comment was quite obviously light hearted, so you've obviously lost your sense of humour.

To the OP, 

I apologise for the Nomad, the rest of us aren't all like him.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

Apologies to the OP for a pair of bickering children.  Best ignored.  As others have said, it's rare that a narrowboat gives views out of the window when sitting down inside.  A couple of option to consider:

1.  A narrowboat or dutch barge style with a wheelhouse will provide views.

2.  There's a hire boat company who has boats with a dropped gunwale at the bow end, with a much lower and big window.  Napton Boats I think?  You might look out for something like that, maybe an ex-hire boat of theirs.

• Greenie 1